1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD announces Radeon VII (7nm)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 9, 2019.

1. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII gtx1080ti
    hey guys you're running wild. Radeon VII is important.
    whether or not you were expecting the Second Coming is something else.

i've had my hands on one, i've looked at the PCB, and i've gamed on one. it is better than my 1080ti, better than a 2080, and on at least one game better than a 2080ti (AMD optimized game).
    all for $130 less than the 2080 and you don't need a g-sync monitor.

that's the news.

2. kings

kings Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    So, an AMD competitor card for 1080Ti, 2 years later, for $700. On the green side, we have RTX at insane prices also.

Sad sad times on the GPU market, absolutely depressing. Im glad I bought a PS4 Pro last year...

Solfaur likes this.
  3. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII gtx1080ti
    whatever.
    btw it's a competitor to the 2080, not the 1080ti which it surpasses

4. DrKeo

DrKeo Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 970GTX 4GB
    1) Nvidia started working on RT before AMD, 10 years ago.
    2) Nvidia asked Microsoft and partnered with them to create DXR.
    3) Anything can do RT, even an iPhone 4. The RT cores are made for RT calculation in the silicon level (Ray to box intersection and ray to polygon intersection). General silicon will always be slower than specialty silicon at the same specialty task. AMD already revealed RT numbers on the Vega 64 for offline RT use of pre-bake GI/Lighting/Shadows in the Unity summit last summer and the numbers are a fraction of an RTX card.
    4) AMD actually already have a similar solution and it is used in the Playstation 4 Pro. They have hardware level Checkerboard upscale that doubles the resolution. It's a less effective solution (creates artifacts in fast motion) but its good enough.

I find the Radeon VII to be a huge disappointment. Its made on half the manufacturing process compared to Vega 64, it performs around 20%-25% faster but somehow costs 55% more (Vega 64 costs 450$ in Amazon right now). You can also find 2080RTX for 699$ in Amazon right now, the exact same price as the Radeon VII. All the AMD fanboys exploded on Nvidia when they announced that the 2080 RTX will cost 800$ but now AMD shows VEGA 64 and its almost as expensive without the AI and RT features? WTF?

HBM is a catastrophe, I can believe they couldn't get Vega to use GDDR6. Who the hell though its a good idea to have 16GB of this expensive memory in this card? It should have had 8GB of GDDR6, not 16GB of HBM2. It could have been a 550$ card with GDDR6. What were they thinking?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    yasamoka, Maddness and Mundosold like this.

5. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    Yeah i agree. I'll wait and see but i might actually keep my current system as it is (planned to upgrade 2nd half 2019 or first quarter 2020) and just buy a PS5 later. The PS5 will cost me less than a new GPU alone ...

6. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    I have made a list with the Bench Results of Vega7 VS Vega 64:
    [​IMG]

7. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    A generation behind to perform equal to a 1080 Ti on brand new 7nm tech.

Makes you really appreciate how good Nvidia's Turing architecture is...on 12nm (16nm+). They're going to kill it when they launch a 7nm+ part next year.

Strange Times likes this.
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Navi is still underway so nvidia will have alot more to deal with it than this card.

It will be interesting year.

tunejunky likes this.
  9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    You are expecting the impossible. If AMD managed that they would ask more.... They aren't a freaking charity. And what did people expect from a Vega chip that goes from 14nm to 7nm really. It's now new arch it's simply on a smaller node considering that it is doing mighty fine and being similar to 2080 or 1080 ti is pretty much good enough to get sales. They can't for a while challenge the top end how could they, they have been behind for a while and Nvidia has been pushing new archs out regularly compared to AMD staying on the same thing forever because they had no money.

Now AMD might be able to fight slowly again in GPU space like they are now fighting in CPU space.

Maddness and schmidtbag like this.
  10. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII gtx1080ti

wow...
    Ray Tracing comes from the 1960's, with breakthroughs at the end of the '70's and early '80's

it was a design goal from the very first gpu

Nvidia got more involved through their interest in lighting (illumination).
    ATI, now AMD has, like Nvidia desired ray tracing from the inception of the company

11. Mpampis

Mpampis Active Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    To me there's little value here. Same price for an RTX 2080, and probably for worse performance (or same) and more power draw. And no Ray Tracing, which might not really be a thing right now, but could prove to be something in the near future.
    I know it's double the amount of RAM, but is it really worth it?
    It doesn't really offer anything new. Yes we expected that, and that's why most of us expected yesterday's performance on a really cool price.
    To tell you the truth, I was waiting for a 4k AMD GPU, but I'm not sure I'll go for this. Maybe if the price drops to ~550€.

12. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 /AMD v7
    Well, If it delivers, I'll buy it.
    Or just to support them, or just to return to better picture clarity I have had on my fury...
    OR just for heating purposes, my sons PC with vega 64 makes his room warmest in my house, if I have to spend money on heating while gaming, I'll choose just gaming and heating as side product :)

13. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Nothing to see here. 2080 can be had for same money, 1080ti is cheaper. AMD late to the party and charging same/more than Nvidia.

14. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    This card should be 599. The RTX 2080 should also be 599, and the 2080 Ti should be 799. All three cards are too expensive for the performance they offer, IMO.

Maddness, warlord and schmidtbag like this.
  15. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    It cannot beat totally at newest node the rtx 2080 for the same money plus having a much bigger consumption. :eek:

The same problem with newer Vega64 against gtx 1080 neither a clear nor eco winner. I am bored with the repetition. :mad:

16. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    I think you are missing something- Lisa sad that this is fastest CONTENT Creation Card For Gaming! not just Gaming Card!
    This is why it has 16GB 1TB/s HBM2 Memory and it's expensive, What we are all waiting for is the Navi Gaming cards that will come soon at much cheaper prices!.

P.S- how this crazy 1TB/s memory bandwidth can affect gaming? RTX2080 has less then 460GB/s and RTX 2080Ti has ~615GB/s

17. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    Personally i don't give a crap about those expensive cards anyway. Not gonna spend 1k CAD on a single GPU. Not because i don't have the money but because of principles.

What i'm interested in is too see if AMD will have a potent card in the 300-400$ USD range (real retail price not suggested retail price). 2060 looks good only because of the price of the 2700 and 2800 cards are sold at. Realistically it's a card not good enough for 2k120-144 or 4k60 and previous generation cards were already good enough for 1080p120-144. It's good if you are upgrading from 6x0, 7x0, 9x0 or 1060. But if you already own a 1070 this card does nothing for you.

I'm looking for an improvement over my 1070 to fully exploit my new 2k monitor for about the same price i paid my 1070 (plus inflation). I paid my 1070 570$ CAD two years ago so i would expect that in 2019 i would be able to buy something at least 20% better for about 600$ CAD. nVidia failed to deliver so far.

ZXRaziel likes this.
  18. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII gtx1080ti

you are so almost right.
    Turing was designed to be a (roughly) 10nm (non Intel style) gpu.
    the high price of Turing is due in no small part to the far lower yield rates for a large die at this node.

i may often seem to be an AMD guy, but i'm not. if we wanted to talk about gpu specific uArch, i'd sound as silly as a fanboy (which i actually am).

but physics are physics and economic reality is reality. a less efficient design at a far more efficient node will still get more units sold than a more efficient design at a less efficient node.
    and one of the oldest tricks in the marketplace is to corner the supply or fulfill the demand. AMD (and Apple, Qualcomm, TSMC et al) invested heavily in next generation chip fabrication, Nvidia did not. Nvidia "is all back-of-the-bus", despite it's wonderful sales numbers and market penetration when it comes to orders being fulfilled at 7nm.

AMD still has Navi up their sleeve, this is not that...this is a process improvement and a node shrink from the otherwise excellent Vega. Vega is excellent in it's own right, which has nothing to do with a GTX10XX being more efficient, more overclockable, or higher performance in gaming.

HWgeek likes this.
  19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I don't think anyone thinks it can totally beat the 2080, but it will win in some cases and lose in others while costing roughly the same. You make it seem like "if it can't beat the 2080 in every way then it's not a good product" which is utter nonsense.
    Also, we have no info on the power specs.
    Nobody's asking you to repeat.

20. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    The beating since 8800gt is non stop young man. That's a freaking repetition to my ears.