1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD announces Radeon VII (7nm)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980ti gaming 1490/7700
    I still wonder what are people actually expecting from a company with so little cash as AMD. Things do not change fast after they get some cashflow. They've been doing the same gpu since 2013 pretty much with minor improvements here and there because lack of resources and then going to 7nm with it getting more performance for same wattage as their previous iteration. Going down a node won't bring magic boost to anything. If nvidia made a 7nm turing it wouldn't make it magically go loads faster if it had the same configuration.

We might see something new with Navi or we will see around the same time when Intel releases something. AMD has been fighting pretty damn effectively with no money compared to Intel and Nvidia on both fronts it's rather amazing.

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm expecting them not to be 2.5 years late with a product, supply jack for stock which is instantly bought out by criminals/miners, then release the same crap shrunk down 2 years later at an insane price.

3. DW75

DW75 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    Make no mistake about it though. In the next few weeks, there is going to be a big demand again for crypto, and you won't be able to buy a Radeon VII anywhere. These video cards will be 1200 US in no time. Miners are already foaming at the mouth for this card.

4. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    In the current market for crypto I don't think many people will rush out to buy a $700 GPU with an estimated 800+ day return on investment.

BangTail likes this.

5. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX480 Strix
    I thought mining was almost dead with GPU's. Every time i read the news, there's always huge amounts being lost percentages wise. This is the last sort of news any gamers would want. GPU prices are already stupidly over the top.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    They are not late. They have no insane price. They just did not release product you want for yourself.
    On Gaming side Vega 56/64 was not exactly good for the price, but did well on compute side. And same can be said for Radeon 7.

Get some hardware enthusiasm and kick some "game is only thing that matters" ass. AMD could have give you great gaming GPU in case they had enough money to design 2 completely separate lines of GPUs. As they would replace computational capability for rendering oriented architectural blocks.
    But they did not and do not have that money. And that compute part is reason why they managed to sell those GPUs at higher profit margins than gaming GPUs to gamers.

And if there was not that other, more profitable part, there would not be AMD today. As those GPUs kept AMD afloat in darkest of Bulldozer's days.

carnivore, BlackZero and Embra like this.
  7. Mpampis

Mpampis Member

GPU:
    MSI RX480 8GB
    Well, that also makes sense. And who knows, as time passes, the card could get better performance with driver updates, and the price will probably drop. Though I'm not sure if someone would fork out 600$+ in the summer, and then some more when Navi comes out in 2020.

8. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX480 Strix
    I doubt we will have to wait that long for Navi. I have heard it needs another re-spin, but I'm still expecting a second half launch in 2019. High end Navi was always scheduled for a 2020 release.

9. HWgeek

HWgeek Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    Lisa Su sad on Shareholders call that they need few quarters to clear the stock from mining, so this was at the end of October, so second Q2 2019 look reasonable.
    So when Ryzen 3000 will launch we would have Navi to replace RX 570~Vega64 and Vega7 on top for Prosumer 16GB GPU.

10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980ti gaming 1490/7700
    I would expect just that. They didn't get to roll in money cause of miners. It's blatantly cleae where the money is for them and where they used most of their rnd budget the Ryzen cpus. It's good enough for what they have I was expecting worse tbh.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 AMP!
    I wonder if there will be any stock left for gamers when the card is released. FP64 performance virtually on par with the $3000 Titan V. So pros and businesses that can make use of all this compute power may snap them up more eagerly than gamers.

BlackZero, Jagman and warlord like this.
  12. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING
    That card is on another level than any Nvidia's offering. Prosumer and smooth gaming under thousand bucks. RTX and DLSS are for kiddos.

ManofGod likes this.
  13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 AMP!
  14. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX480 Strix
    I was just reading that. I'm glad about AMD selling cards direct. This should help to keep cards at close to RRP, instead off greedy retailers putting some of the outlandish price hikes on.

alanm likes this.
  15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    https://techgage.com/news/radeon-vii-caps-fp64-performance/

There seems to be some confusion on this but currently HardOCP/Techgage both asked and AMD told them no FP64.

pharma, Stormyandcold and BlackZero like this.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 AMP!
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 3:13 PM
  17. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Of-course, it's a "gaming card", nothing more nothing less. Some users here just got shot down with their expectations of this product.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Stormyandcold likes this.
  19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    So is this a 128ROP card or not?

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Nope that was also misreported by Ryan at anandtech among others.

It sounds like he sat down with some people prior to the CES conference and whoever it was gave him a lot of wrong info. Which kind of sucks because he typically has a good reputation. I'm willing to let it slide tho because he's clearly upset about it.

-Tj- and Maddness like this.