AMD Announces Radeon Rx 460 and 470

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I really can't imagine that they are selling many Fury X's let alone sold many. The 980Ti was identical in price, faster in the majority of games and was air cooled (I personally like the water but I think it's clear a lot of people don't). Now with the 1070/1080 and Vega on the horizon and rumors of the RX 480 being nearly as fast for $200 -- anyone who is buying a Fury X now is out of their mind.

Also VideoChardz has an updated Firestrike leak with the RX480, between a 390x and a 980. I'm starting to think that 18K 3DMark 11 score was an overclocked RX480, most of the scores leaking are about 10-15% lower. Hopefully the NDA is over soon and we can have real information. I'm kind of over AMD's veil of silence.

At some point that pricing has to break though. Like I can't imagine Nvidia launching a GTX1060 at $300 that performs identical to a RX480. There is no way that card would sell. A 1060 at $250-260 with 6GB of ram, maybe. Nvidia sold cards with less VRAM and similar performance at slightly higher prices before. But it's not like they can just set any price and expect it to work, especially with midrange stuff.

High end they can get away with, because there are people who will spend anything to get the fastest card out.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  2. Spartan

Spartan Guest

I'm actually shocked how bad FuryX is. Amd's driver is sooo horrible. :puke2:
    I think I just forget amd gpus from this point.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Devil RX 6900 XTU
    Its silly to see that words coming from a 290 user. That card of yours was one of the best in last 3 years. Eh, each of their own.

4. eclap

eclap Guest

The AIB 1080 retail price is actually lower than some of the previous generations. The 1070 is selling for a fair bit more than I expected but I'm going to go out on a limb, it's because it's still a great value for money card that people are willing to buy. Had AMD pushed nvidia in this segment even a tiny bit, prices would have been lower.

5. Spartan

Spartan Guest

I didn't talk about 290. I'm talking about amd's current offers. :3eyes:

6. samm00

samm00 Member

GPU:
    3G
    Look like nvidia will drop the prices sooner than expected (vega launch)

[​IMG]

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The newer leaks don't collaborate this image. Videocardz has newer ones that show ~2880 for Firestrike Ultra. ~3200 was the highest they've seen, so most are assuming the 3200 score is overclocked.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Goddman,... that tiny GP104 1080... I've seen it fps drop once.
    ONCE! And it was in Crysis 3.

Titan X holding nicely. 1070 seemed more prone to fps drops overall.
    And FuryX... I was about to ask HH to include Witcher 3 in FCAT, but no need now; ive found the answer.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

No one should buy Fury X at current price, but prices were not adjusted for practical reasons. Not many are on stores.

What people should consider buying is GTX 980Ti if person already has one and wants SLi.
    SLi will deliver good performance boost and since they are dropping in price a lot, it is cheaper to get 2nd than to sell 1st and get Pascal GPU(s).

About 1060 price, It remains to be seen. But I was jokingly considering that in current scheme nVidia is plotting, they may bring something like GTX 1030/1040 to even get to price point of RX-460.

And there is other thing. When GTX 980Ti came, they were sold out same way as Fury X. If you want GTX 1080, availability in every store is pretty high.
    Situation with GTX 1070 is way different, they are mostly out of stock. There people still buy.
    I really question target group and viability of GTX 1080Ti. Or is it going to push GTX 1070/1080 prices down?
    It is quite possible we will have to wait for it for quite some time.

And btw, I would ignore vdcardz benchmarks of RX-480, they are just throwing numbers and will show you one which was closes in the end as proof that they were right.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Lol to be fair that's like every leaker site. The amount of wrong rumors surrounding the GTX1080 was ridiculous. Everyone forgets them though and only remembers ones that were correct.

480 will probably be the same way. That's why I generally hate leaks, especially when they are based on nothing.

NDA needs to liffffffffffffffffft

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Nvidia's look&feel and their fonts are a clear giveaway: This leak is coming from none other that Nvidia itself.

Yet for some strange reason Nvidia not only has access, but they have decided to include AMD cards in their official chart.

/sarcasm off

12. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

I never give two craps about low end stuff but a card capable of close to Ti performance at 240$ would be great to throw in a toss away pc for behind the tv etc.

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Everyone needs to calm down. No being nasty to each other, be nice.

Warning one.

14. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Well, nVidia kinda needs that. The 1080 and 1070 are huge disappointments. I certainly have absolutely no desire to buy either one. Overpriced and underperforming.

I'm more likely to buy a 200$ RX 480 and get a decent upgrade over what I have than I am to buy an overpriced joke. Tough that AMD aren't releasing a 700$ ubercard, but I wouldn't buy that either if it had as disappointing performance as the 1070/80.

So instead, if the 480 does perform at the level AMD have shown, around the 390 mark, then that's perfectly fine for me. When my 680 could handle the current modern titles at low-medium settings at 1440p, I'm sure the RX 480 can do medium-high, and really that's fine at 200$, which is less than half what I paid for the 680 when it was new.

Huge price increase over the past 4 years, I really don't like that and I can't support it.

15. sverek

sverek Guest

Nvidia 1070 MSPR price is $379. It's not bad at all and it does perform nicely.
    Problem is supply, so shops skyrocketing prices and yet people still buy it.

To be honest, once 1070 gets to it "release price" ($379), AMD better have something decent to offer. Hopefully 480 will deliver an alternative.
    I would totally buy 480 if it offer 980's performance for $200.

EDIT: Anyway, I think this thread need to locked. Nothing but wild imaginary.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2016

16. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Yea, since when did "It's as fast as a Titan X" become an argument? Or "the 1080 is faster than a 980Ti, so of course it should be expensive"? I 100% expect it to be as fast or faster, it's a new generation. This time around I expect them to be MUCH faster, it's the first dieshrink in 4 years!
    But instead we have a ton of people going on abou how we should be so lucky that it's fast and how it's cheap for that performance and how we can not have anything less than this performance ever, now and how it's the only thing that's enough for them... sad.

17. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    The RX480 is less than half the price of the 1070's recommended resale price. The Founder's Edition extra price is something all the boardpartners just copied and nothing is cheaper. Even if the performance is half, then it's a new card and the price is fine.
    I saw someone mention earlier that we shouldn't consider "inflated euro prices" - well, some of us have to live with those prices and a new graphics card has never been more expensive than it is now. Prices have been inflated heavily across all performance ranges the past several years. Mid-range cards have climbed up the performance and price ladder and where they used to sit are now cards that are hardly suited for anything other than desktop-use...

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The 980 was on average 6% faster than a 780Ti. The 1080 is 27% faster then a 980Ti. There exists 1080's at $610 price point, $40 cheaper than the 980Ti's MSRP. Doesn't seem like a problem to me. The only issue seems to be supply, which is to be expected and is no different then the last node shift launch.

Also the length of the time between die shrinks isn't really relevant. Cost per transistor isn't decreasing as much as it was in the last few node shrinks. 16nmFF is basically 20nm specs with finfet tech. The feature size itself isn't scaling the way everyone had hoped.

19. sverek

sverek Guest

I was editing my comment.

I hear you. And as I edited, having near 980 performance for half price of 1070 would be strong offer. (20 - 35% performance loss of 1070)

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Too unlikely. 30% OC overhead? Why waste that untapped potential? They know vast majority of buyers do not OC, so would make better sense to just go with higher stock clock to make it more appealing in review benchmarks.

This aside from the poor photoshop job. A clearer pic of that:

[​IMG]
    Notice the number 1 in 480 score vs 1 above it in Nano score. Different character. Also commas slightly different. I wish it were true though, would grab one for myself over a 1070.