AMD Announces Radeon Rx 460 and 470

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 13, 2016.

1. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Well, 6tflops in mid-2017 won't be all that impressive, will it? If AMD's mid-range performer for value-oriented VR is a 200$ card that offers 5tflop launching in 2 weeks...

2. eclap

eclap Guest

AMD are not doing anyone a favor.

I find it funny how some think of the 480 as the next coming of Jesus when in fact it's just vaporware atm.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2016
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

And don't you think it is funny to bash RX-460/470 which none here knows a thing about?
    Or should we read it as hint of bias?

Maybe AMD is not pushing gaming industry forward. Maybe they are releasing worse GPU that GTX 960, price it higher to catch people off guard, right?
    Maybe they do not increase minimal graphical performance for APU in each power consumption category.

But maybe they are actually about to deliver advantages of 14nm at adequate price points.

And it will always do favor to anyone who wants great graphics in games if there are stronger graphics cards in lowest cost category.
    Because optimizations from weakest to strongest are not easy, but if weakest is not 10 times weaker than strongest, it is not that hard of a job.

I guess, you have seen resurfaced UBI downgrade video. You can't blame them for everything they did.
    Because sometimes they would have to write 2 very different code paths for low and high end systems.
    And since they make multiplayer games, that may lead to visual or other differences giving one group great advantage.

4. eclap

eclap Guest

Maybe maybe maybe. I find most of this thread pointless. People are getting worked up over something that we know next to nothing about. Everyone is speculating.

I wouldn't hype Polaris until I see how it actually performs. I wouldn't bash it either, for the same reason.

One thing is for sure, nvidia will have an answer for it. So it's all a bit meh, arguing over something like this.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

That's for sure. But it is interesting and sad to see how are people actually getting worked.

Because this thread looks like:
    It is Not OK to be positive about upcoming AMD's 14nm HW we know nothing about.
    But it is OK to be negative about it.

This notion is not about you since you are quite subtle about this entire lovely thread.
    But there are many who should think about their mental processes leading to their posts.

6. realmadrid

realmadrid Guest

RX 470 = HD 7950 overclock to 7970

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    It might look like a good strategy, but it's really a forced move and a reflection of market reality. Look at how forcing high-end went the last time with Fiji.

Besting your opponent in perf/$ usually includes selling yourself short for one reason or another, and it usually includes all kinds of other losses.
    Any fool can win perf/$ - there is nothing to it.
    AMD should know this because they have been doing this forever.
    All this would be a sound strategy if AMD could move multiple volumes of 1070/1080 sales, but this is not going to happen. Not with 1060 around the cornet, not even if 1060 went missing(!)

Leaving Richie Rich without the product to throw his money at is ridiculous.

8. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    That's not what vaporware means :|

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Devil RX 6900 XTU
    Its interesting to see how two companies think. Covering different gpu market segment.

AMD - Polaris for everyone

Nvidia - Overpay to play

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Indeed. If my 290 croaks tomorrow, AMD has no product for me.
    Not now, not not in the foreseeable future.

The F@(*& am I supposed to applaud for?
    The business side of things? That they have been losing forever with this same strategy?

Speaking of business, I am no expert, but this this is Douglas Haig's level of: Lets try one more time. The same thing we did 20 times before.

11. ruggafella

ruggafella Guest

I really want to be supportive of AMD and potentially the 460/70/80 could be fantastic cards. I find I'm really annoyed by AMD because they have provided no tangible performance indication for these cards.

I'm not bothered by the fact the cards aren't pushing high level graphical performance. I am frustrated by their claims that they deliver best 'bang for buck' but only telling us the 'buck' so we can't work out the calculation ourselves. This makes me suspicious that actual performance won't meet the expectations that everyone is assuming.

12. sverek

sverek Guest

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    After 4 years of Pitcairn rebranding?

Yes, even the best cow eventually dies
    (old indian saying)

14. sverek

sverek Guest

:thumbup::cheers:

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Except for those who want the best performance and highend card.

16. eclap

eclap Guest

His propaganda never gets old, does it? Both 1070 and 980ti are faster and cheaper than the FuryX. So for high end, AMD are not delivering value for money at all.

"Polaris for everyone"... Certainly not for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2016
  17. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    nvidia PRs everywhere! Loving this thread right now, so funny.

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    FuryX might be the very reason why AMD went with low-mid range and why high-end+ is missing from their lineup.

At these rates they should be selling Fiji 5 years more, just to recoup the R&D that went into it.

So AMD overlords just said NOPE!

And contrary to what everyone's grandmother keeps repeating, $200-250 range is no longer king of PC gaming.
    The real battle is in mid high-end and in high-end+; the results of which are just spilling over to mid-range.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Devil RX 6900 XTU
    That's the reality. AMD is lacking higher segment while nvidia is ramping up the prices.

You know how that yours 970 was a good deal at 330€ but now 1070 costs 450-500€. People keep telling me its fast as 980ti it has to be expensive. I dont care, its a GTX X7XX card, it was always been somewhat affordable and now its not.

1060 will be late and again probably more expensive than even R480 8GB.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

New Atom processors completely destroy that once great pentium 200.

His approach may not be exactly clear in meaning. But think about Naming vs pricing.

GTX *70 in now 55% pricier than it was with last generation launch.
    GTX *80 is now 35% pricier than it was with last generation launch.
    Where does it land GTX 1080Ti?

He compares replacement for *70/*80 and while it is quite stronger, it is quite pricier too.

Then he looks at AMD's next generation and he can see 380 to 480 price unchanged in bad way, but performance improvement is still there.

Sure, nVidia will bring GTX 1060 to fight in GTX 970 price range.

But that's it, it is really price range what nvidia pushes up as main thing.