AMD Announces 64-core Ryzen Threadripper 3990X with 4.3 GHz Turbo at 3990 USD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    tunejunky and varkkon like this.
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    It's $3990 not 3999... but who's counting...

p.s.
    Table still shows 3999, you corrected the rest ;-)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    This is a core bonanza!

robintson and varkkon like this.
  4. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Buy 1 core get 1 Free should be Amd's new motto. I never thought I would see them Dominating the market like they are now, Good for them go team Red. If I could afford it I would get one for sure.

varkkon likes this.

5. fprod

fprod Member

GPU:
    GTX1070
    AMD is crushing Intel and taking years ahead of performance. It is not with it's 2-4% IPC increase every new CPU that Intel will reach AMD now. AMD has also announced a 17% IPC increased with ZEN 3, next core i9 on mainstream are already obsolete before being released.

varkkon likes this.
  6. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Red Devil
    Ooof! Nice to see competition like this.

varkkon likes this.
  7. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    What a time to be alive \m/ :) \m/ , freaking awesome! Hilbert and those interested here is the official AMD spec page: https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-threadripper-3990x

When I have the means I have My eye on a 3970X build and in an insane perfect world I have My eye on and plan for a 3970X for My game rig and also have a 3990X for My workstation / game dev box! One day... oh one day they will both be min :) [ dreams big! ] . It really is amazing to see what AMD has achieved with it's CPUs, can you imagine if they could do this with their GPUs!

Anyways, feels good Man and My 1950x approves :) oh how the kids have grown up and surpassed Dad.

8. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    I suddenly feel ridiculous with my bi-Xeon totalling 16 cores....

9. Minotaur

Minotaur Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 1080 GLH
    Those new Mac Pro's, basically just became flashy terminals. :) I can see these being in demand and hidden under desks and/or in dark back rooms.

10. Mesab67

Mesab67 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Unfortunately, it'll be a mighty long time before game software and hardware even remotely reaches the ability to utilise enough cores on a Threadripper 3 to even remotely justify it's inclusion into a sole gaming rig. By then it won't be so insane :)

11. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 + H90
    64 cores!!!

**Cries in 3700X**

varkkon and anticupidon like this.
  12. Silva

Silva Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    Me with a cheap 2600 waiting for the prices to come down
    [​IMG]

tunejunky, Undying and anticupidon like this.
  13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Why? Unless you need 64 cores for professional use your CPU is a very nice one. I like the sillinessof a 64 core CPU but i donĀ“t want anything like that for my personal use.

anticupidon likes this.
  14. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Dare I ask how thirsty it'll be? Especially when overclocked? xD

15. tunejunky

tunejunky Maha Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070
    truly amazeballs when you take a moment for perspective to cut in.
    this does still (barely) fit in the HEDT envelope... after all a lot of us have more than a touch of grey and we remember when a truly high end pc was around $10k.
    now, with the tremendous affordability of all pc components (relatively speaking) one could pimp out this proc with custom cooling well under $7k.
    other than that, this CES here in L.V. is a snooze-fest. nothing that hasn't been expected, and a lot that isn't exciting.
    i'm just hanging out with my dudes i see 1-2 per year.

fantaskarsef likes this.

16. tunejunky

tunejunky Maha Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070
    lol so true, except for one thing... the Devs playing while compiling or rendering o_O:D
    honestly, in terms of the impact this will have on Hollywood (esp. independents) AMD should be getting a technical Oscar in a year or two.

Mesab67 likes this.
  17. Kool64

Kool64 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    By the time games get even close to using 64 cores we'll probably be playing video games in our brains.

18. Have mercy. So shiny.......Not much you couldn't do with that much processor.

19. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    lmao not sure if any relation between AMD success with hollywood
    did u ever take a peek how studios work ? CG production pipeline ?

afaik for movies most(if not all) those rendering is GPU-based, since its much faster than cpu
    for small-studios, such final-composition(film record) many go with rental-route, because simply cost-efficient

for game-dev. .... console have their own dev.kit ... their workstation (for artist, coder etc.) might build based threadripper(hedt), but not necessary need to be high-end either.

20. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    Yeah, it's not like a suitable game couldn't use all the cores/power, but who's going to pay the devs to spend the considerable time programming such a game engine? Already soon 20 years ago when I was in contact with some devs from a bit well known game studio, they told me they are working like slaves, which also meant they couldn't give nearly as much time and attention to modders and players of their games as they wanted to. It's also why games are released half-finished, and then one guy is left behind to try to fix the bugs based on user feedback, while all the to other devs are already busy working on future games, or at least DLCs if such are planned.

Let's say a nuclear explosion in a game with some destructible environment. It could easily use all the CPU power it has to simulate the trees, buildings, whatever loose matter is available, all of that being affected at once on a large scale. Or simply allowing a large amount of AI controlled NPCs. It's not hard to imagine, but how would you smoothly scale it between ordinary mortals with 8 cores and then the masters of 64 cores? Too much time spent programming.

Of course it's from AMD and thus possible biased, but this Youtube video seems to disagree with you. It's not (just) about rendering the final result, it's about how it works when you are working on it. You can't just toss a Pentium G there with an Nvidia Titan and expect it to be all smooth.