AMD AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA BIOS That Should Fix Boost issues Spotted and Tested

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 10, 2019.

1. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Intel was the first to release a desktop quad core CPU and I believe dual core as well (?). They were also first with hyperthreading since like P4. I don't think AMD had anything similar until Bulldozer. So keep going on with those assumptions without any evidence.

2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Sure then they stopped for years is what he's referring to I believe.

mohiuddin likes this.
  3. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    You guys do realize that both AMD and Intel took a while to get 6 core CPUs to market, right? They both released them pretty much at the same time.

I'm sorry, I am just not buying this narrative people want to push that Intel is evil and solely responsible for delaying cores/threads to market, when history shows they in fact were leaders at pushing it.

IMHO, the higher core counts didn't really start to come from either company cause neither really saw the mainstream need. Things have changed of course now that there are more apps that benefit.

4. Cidious

Cidious Guest

GPU:
    6900XT + EKWB
    I love the new Ryzen Master monitor showing me my peak voltage and average core voltage. 1.39v peak and down to 0.20v for sleeping cores with PBO on. Useful to get an insight in how the boost process works. They are making some nice improvements. Let's see how it develop. Other than predicting we can also just wait for results..

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    amd had consumer 6 cores years ahead of intel.

SplashDown and airbud7 like this.
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yeah. 1st to HT(wannabe SMT) and then they had to take step back because it did not exactly work as intended. 2nd try was better.
    Not that it really matters, but he was referring to intent. Intel released Quad core CPU and AMD did same within one year. That means, both were cooking them at same time for given market.

All evidence says, that intel was slowly preparing 6C/12T for desktops depending on demand. But AMD did push them to actual release. And it seems that intel had no intention to do 8C/16T for desktops at all.

There is reason why intel does not go with 6C/12T @5GHz gaming flagship even while it would be same for gaming purposes as 8C/16T @5GHz.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    ZXRaziel likes this.
  7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Let's look at it from a market perspective instead - if you have a company and your product is way ahead of the competition and you have a dominance concerning market share, would it really be wise to keep making huge innovations and make technology leaps with each product release? How can you know for sure that your competition will keep being way behind? R&D is really expensive after all and as we all know shareholders want one thing, more money. That's probably why Intel has refreshed old architecture for so long and made small leaps, just enough to release a slightly better product but at a lower cost. That doesn't mean that a company should stop R&D entirely (as it almost feels like with Intel), you should always have something up your sleeve IF the competition suddenly from nowhere releases something really great, a huge leap. I feel like nVidia does just that, they've got the leaps ready in case AMD would release something massive but until that happens they do a better job than Intel at sating the need of faster products from consumers.

Personally I'm surprised that Intel doesn't have a product ready that would counter the AMD 3000 series. My guess is that they want to battle in the GPU department since they got a bit too relaxed in the CPU department after dominating for so long and therefore shifted too much focus there. Yes, they can still relax a bit after the release of the 3000 series since they still have an edge in gaming but I assume that they are working their asses off in the CPU department again to have something that will counter Zen 2+ when it's out. Probably the shareholders have understood that there is a real threat coming from AMD in the CPU department but that they shouldn't stop the R&D with Xe since they probably feel that they have a real ace up their sleeve that will kick nVidia in the butt for real.

8. Bl@ck_Thorne

Bl@ck_Thorne Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3060 TI
    ABBA "The Winner Takes It All"

9. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    I think he did " If you want to see an obnoxious fanboy then you only need to look in the mirror."

EDIT: I am certain that @D3M1G0D is getting all the notifications from these replies, but now he has to back his claim up, so he is just trying to hide in the bushes, while everyone can see the bushes moving.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  10. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Umm, was there some confusion over this? I said you were among those who were sick and tired of @jwb1's fanboyism - I never said you were a fanboy. If my phrasing was confusing then I apologize.

ZXRaziel, Aura89 and craycray like this.

11. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    All good. I was super surprised as well. And I am here like, what did I ever say or buy that makes me a fanboy? Anywho, we good @D3M1G0D.

12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    AMD released the X2 before Intel released the Core Duo. AMD also did not utilize SMT until Ryzen.

fry178, SplashDown, airbud7 and 2 others like this.
  13. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    ASUS rush Agesa 1.0.0.3 ABBA on there bios, PC Shut Down at random which never did that before. went back to the last bios no issue now.

14. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    its not really a quad core, the core 2 quad is essentially 2 dual core chips in 1 socket. functionally the same as a dual-cpu board ,which were common at the time for servers, and some workstations.

the first dual core - (real)quad core and six core chips on the consumer desktop market, were by amd.
    Intel did not consider multicore the way forward for desktop until they cancelled their successor to net-burst based pentium4s (tejas and jayhawk) in 2004, their entire plan for netburst was to hit 10ghz clockspeeds, amd quite literally forced them to restructure their whole strategy with the athlon 64 x2, hence the panic launch pile of crap that was the dual-cpu Prescott processor.

Intel does what any company would do in a market leadership position, they try to make as much money as possible, if there is no market pressure they are content to sell the same stuff for a long time, this is not unusual in the slightest.

Embra, jura11, HandR and 2 others like this.
  15. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Yes you have been warned in another thread , yet you are ruining another thread ...
    As for fanboys , it takes one to know one .
    JWB we know that what AMD did was not right , no one is denying that , they are aware of the situation and are fixing the problem . You have made your point we get it and I think that we actually agree with you . But when you going on about it the way you are it becomes Trolling , I have never blocked anyone but if you give me no choice I will have to , as I want to read about the topic not about childish fanboys tantrums . Thank you .

jura11 and HandR like this.

16. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Back on topic
    It will be interesting to see how these new generation chips perform once all the teething issues are sorted . I am guessing that they will hold the maximum boost frequencies for longer so the monitoring software can detect them . I also wonder about the validity of the claims in the tests as most real world users would have installed loads of software that runs in the back round for example , there are so many factors that can affect the behaviour of the CPU, I don't own AMD chip currently , I would love to do some testing for my self to see exactly how does the boost work and what affects it . My current i7 runs at least 4 threads at all times , I normally never see the maximum turbo , it runs at around 3.9 GHz +/- few MHz never more that 4 GHz . This is caused by steam , anti-virus , Microsoft Windows itself , ....
    All the backround processes that are sneakily using my CPU and are pain to control .

17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition ....very affordable to.

Astyanax likes this.
  18. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Just because someone wasn't warned doesn't mean they were not being an azz ....

19. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    they have not "fixed" the problem and never will, they must stop talking about a fake non useable boost, in the case of that update it's litterally a scam as you can see in derbauer video that all it does is add spikes of very short and useless frequency at idle/low cpu usage and on a single core, while changing nothing during a workload and clearly that "con" works as you can read in the comments below the video plenty of "thx AMD you fixed the problem" because apparently a 2ms "fake/created" highest clock value is now an acceptable result...what ?
    AMD must stop with the lies, drop the turbo boost marketing and talk about IPC (which is better) and the fact that when you compare all-cores clock Mhz for Mhz Ryzen 3000 does more for less Mhz (downclock an Intel you'll see that without it's higher clock advantage Intel would get destroyed by AMD)

now that's how Intel CPU always worked and what you expect from any CPU, not clock spikes at idle >< (the up and down part is at idle/browsing of course in case some viewers mistake it for workload, the cinebench run are the flat lines 5100Mhz all cores nonstop)
    https://i.**********/sgJYxdFG/cinebench-clock.png

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  20. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    While the clock behaviour is different, it improves performance, and the avg frequency is up, I dont see what there is to complain about.

And frankly the fact that the cpu boosts after a workload finishes isnt that weird when you consider that the temp/power draw drops giving it more headroom to boost, before it detects the workload is over.

Clock frequency isnt all that important , its the performance that matters.

HandR and Aura89 like this.