AMD Adds Radeon RX 580 with 2048 SP In Asia

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Over in Asia AMD seems to be rebadging Radeon RX 570 as 580 cards. It is a little unclear as to who, what and why but this isn't the first time something similar is happening. Basically, it's a ne...

AMD Adds Radeon RX 580 with 2048 SP In Asia

2. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    This crap has to stop, if you change the specs of the card, change the goddamn name.

Call it the RX 575 or RX 580LE or something to let people know its not the same, just cause us tech focused people check every single spec and would notice doesn't mean a significant portion of the public wouldn't get confused and accidently buy the wrong product.

Aura89, BReal85 and Celcius like this.
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Not funny. Because of all those products made for China which end up being send to western countries where people expect something else.

4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    it's what i was writing in a post in "numerous fake GTX1060 sold on ebay" those are internet cafe version, originaly only in 4Go... i have seen some on a road trip in asia.

5. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Rebranded RX570 as RX580 with 2048 shader processors? :(

6. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    From the Frontpage News article:

"And with an RX 580 that should be 2304 (which is the shader count for the RX 570)."

Maybe I need another six cups of coffee, but, within the context of this story, shouldn't that read, "...which is the shader count for the RX 580" ???

Anyway, this is a really stupid thing for AMD to allow their AIB partners to do. By that I mean, the board manufacturer's do pretty much whatever they want. And, while I can't prove it, as with the 14 CU RX 560 fiasco, I think that is exactly what is taking place.

I'm doubtful that someone at RTG actually said, "Why not shoot ourselves in the foot yet again, and re-brand some cards that use our Polaris 20 XL chips with the same product name as the cards that use the Polaris 20 XTX chip? Aces! I mean, what could possibly go wrong?"

I thought with Mike Rayfield and David Wang at the controls, this nonsense would stop. It seems like it's always two steps forward, one step back with this outfit.

7. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    AMD decided rx580 was overwhelming and OP as is. :D

8. Ssateneth

Ssateneth Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980
    if only they tightened up RAM timings, polaris would be pretty good. There is EASILY a 10%-20% boost just from using a modded bios with tightened timings. Stock timings are just too loose and holds back polaris.

9. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Yep, same for 9 Gbps 1060 and 11 Gbps 1080.

10. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Meanwhile everyone patiently waits for AMD to actually release something new in the gpu department so we can get the competition rolling again. The rtx 20 series prices didn't come without a reason.

fantaskarsef likes this.