AMD Adds Game DVR Beta to Raptr(AKA Shadowplay)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by gerardfraser, Jun 22, 2014.

1. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Did some Crossfire testing with AMD GVR.More performance hit with Crossfire than single cards,but still not too bad.
    [​IMG]

Breakdown : percentage hit on average values.
    Tomb Raider - 21.6%
    Thief - 12.4%
    Sniper Elite V2 - 12.5%
    Hitman Absolution - 9.7%
    Batman Arkham Origins -6.9%
    Sleeping Dogs - 11.2%
    Bioshock Infinite - 18.1%

2. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    That seems like a pretty significant performance hit.

Needs optimizing apparently

3. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Yes its a big performance hit on crossfire.Its still new and I do fine the numbers are pretty good compared to the other choices for recording.
    If you would like to check out some other recording software in the thread here.

The thread starter did Titan SLI benches in the post with shadowplay.
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26708744&postcount=38

His conclusion for SLI shadowplay and I would agree also GVR needs a little work but it just might boil down to CPU not quite enough power for SLI/Crossfire real time recording without a bigger hit to performance.

4. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    If thats the case, when mantle support gets added to GVR, then there should be virtually no performance hit for crossfire in games that use it.

5. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    OOO Holy lord that was buggy :p Guess thats why they call it Beta :).. Tried to do a twitch stream.. it totally bugged out.. took me about 10 minutes of spamming the start hotkey to get the stream started :p

6. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Japamd looks like he is helping out the Raptr team and making great progress in getting features into Raptr.Mantle support should be here soon.

Now I may be wrong about the CPU power not being enough for SLI/Crossfire support for recording in real time.It just may be that DX is the problem and Mantle exposes some weakness.Thanks to AMD they have the attention now of Nvidia/microsoft to improve DX.
    Mantel support in Raptr should be very good to help reduce any issues with real time recording in GVR.

There is quite the difference when Mantle is working correctly in games,even on a good system like mine 3770k 4.5 with R9 290 crossfire.
    Screen DX11 vs Mantle
    [​IMG]

7. the9quad

the9quad Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    I get about the same difference at 1440p. With DX 11 @ 91 fps average and mantle @ 111. Roughly a 20% difference. How did you screen shot mantle btw?

8. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
  9. the9quad

the9quad Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    If your video card supports AMD APP, then the best option to record or stream to twitch is Mirillis Action!. It will record and stream with absolutely zero performance hit at all. It also will stream to Twitch using crossfire. I can play BF4 at 1440p on ultra and maintain 120 to 250fps while streaming to Twitch at 1080p at 30fps. Raptr doesn't even come close to performance like that. You would think since Raptr is an AMD product it would utilize AMD APP well, but it doesn't.

10. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    0hit? on your system I guess

on mine, Intel quicksync its quite good bcs I have too much CPU for my GPU. And also bcs Intel GPU is sleeping if not compressing.

11. the9quad

the9quad Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Yeah I take no hit, but using anything else I take a drastic hit so it's not just because of my system. I have used Afterburner, raptr, overwolf, obs, dxtory, bandicam, playclaw and all of them cut frames drastically when recording, and the ones that stream to twitch OBS, FFSPLIT, XSplit wont use crossfire. Raptr and overwolf use crossfire but they have a big performance hit as well. Unfortunately a 4930k doesn't have quicksync (no iGPU) so I cant use it.

12. SkippTekk

SkippTekk New Member

GPU:
    R9 390
    Graphics Card recording

Hey guys, i have a new r9 390 GPU and i would like to be able to record with my GPU instead of so much on my CPU. But i also downloaded and "installed" that H246 i think it's called? and it won't show up in my Dxtory settings.

Speccy Image of Computer
    [​IMG]

Dxtory

[​IMG]

would anyone be able to give me a hand with this? i just set up my recording session and the only thing is that it's not loading properly for the program.

EDIT: sorry this post is on for #14 http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4883693&postcount=14

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  13. Virs

Virs Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 390
    You can't record games that way anymore, not with the newer drivers. Which is a shame, because it worked amazingly well. Better than what I've found since then.

Right now, an alternative is OBS with AMD VCE:
    https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-branch-with-amd-vce-support.13996/
    With that said, I've had quite a few issues with it. Sometime it records video but not sound. Other times I get a black screen with sound. The performance hit isn't negligible, either.
    MSI Afterburner can also be used if you install RTSS RivaTuner Statistic Server. I don't have much experience with it, I had a hard time getting my games detected. If someone can help me get my games detected, that'd be appreciated. I tried what I could.
    DXTory could be used again in the future if they update it to make use of what was changed. It's a bit too complicated for me to explain, since I'm a noob in that regard.

Then there's Raptr itself. It works, but in my case the quality of the video is poor. Even when maxing the settings for quality, it remains quite pixelated during movement. The performance isn't negligible, either. Just did a test with Witcher 3 and went down from 57fps to 48. The framerate in the resulting video was lower, around 38.

You might have better results when using those software tho, it's worth a shot if you want to record gameplay.

Edit: The link you followed doesn't work anymore, but the author is doing a test with AMF if you wanna try it. It would work the same way and follow the same steps you used.
    Go here: https://github.com/jackun/TestAMFVFW
    It doesn't work for me tho. I personally really wish I could get RTSS to work, I don't know why it doesn't show up in-game no matter what I do.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  14. SkippTekk

SkippTekk New Member

GPU:
    R9 390
    Thank you very much for the reply, and that was quicker then i thought. ill give this a go and if it works. ill post some video's and what not showing it works! Hopefully it does! :D

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-UPDATE=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Awesome! the Dxtory can see it and it also see's what graphics card i have.

Dxtory:

[​IMG]

And the Program

[​IMG]

i don't have much experiance with this but if anyone does. please let me know and ill give updates! :D

15. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I'm interested to see your results, it would make for a nice alternative to the gaming evolved program, however the crimson driver suite may also give an alternative to the raptr ****e too.

Eitherway, keep us posted on your results.

16. SkippTekk

SkippTekk New Member

GPU:
    R9 390
    I have been speaking with one of the creaters of the program for it. and getting REALLY good results! The application CANNOT render over 30 before it goes cluster f*** hence you get this [​IMG]

and so far, it's been getting better.

Here is my Test video for Number 4. slowly making more progress!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWEFdWz8OH8&feature=youtu.be

-=-=-=-=-=-=- EDIT-=-=-=-=-=-

Latest video recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX28lDHnHmc&feature=youtu.be

With THESE SETTINGS:

[​IMG]

*corrected link for a viewable way*

17. Virs

Virs Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 390
    I tested different recording software over the past few days and it seems like the best one so far, the one that just works with no unique issues, was D3DGear. The one thing it has against it is that it must be purchased (I did the free trial to test it) instead of being free like so many other programs out there.
    Still, it was smooth, it had the smallest impact on performance, and the picture quality was great.
    If people get what they want from other software, that's perfect. But for anyone like me who had issues (OBS stuttered, Raptr had poor picture quality, DXTory AMF solution is good but a work-in-progress), I recommend trying out the free trial of D3DGear just in case.

18. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6800 XT
    Every used afterburner? It works really well

19. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    most of the time i have tried it games crash when you stop recording

20. Virs

Virs Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 390
    I can't get afterburner to work. It just won't detect the games, can't record anything sadly. I wish I could test it since it's the last big one I need to try, but even tho I can set it up, it just doesn't detect any game.