AMD A10 6790 reviewed and tested

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In today's review we test the AMD A10 6790 APU processor, the little brother of the 6800K and the big brother of the 6700 that just became available in the stores. With performance close to the 6800 ...

AMD A10 6790 reviewed and tested

2. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    VisionTek R9 290X
    For an "entry level, to mid-range processor" these APUs' are rather impressive with regards to gaming performance... Much better than I was expecting. For anyone on a gaming budget (@ 1080p or lower), I can't see anyone going wrong with this APU.

3. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    I hate to say this but that last bit is just flat out inaccurate. Intel based laptops are available with Iris Pro 5200 and even though joe-consumer can't buy the chips, there is also the i7-4770R. None of these AMD APU's come close to the chips i just mentioned.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Looking forward to building ITX machine around this. 2400 MHz RAM is rather cheap at the moment here.

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I love these things, but... KAVERI! :D

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    These APUs are budget desktop parts. Comparing to high-end parts (desktop or laptop) is asinine. These APUs are intended to compete with the Celeron, Pentium and Core i3 desktop parts from Intel. None of which can touch them in iGPU performance.

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Neither can the 4770K it seems.

8. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    This!

Kaveri is out this month isn't it? I've told my gf I'm going to build her a rig and not going to get her another laptop, really not fond of laptops, anyway I fancy hitting up AMD for one of these APUs looking to do it in ITX form factor too :)

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_item...0&origin=pla&gclid=COa0s9iC4LsCFQ1yQgod6j4AZw

http://www.upgradebay.com/Products/..._content=pla&gclid=CP2k6vmC4LsCFTDhQgodFl0AmQ

...really...yes. intel totally wins, the cost war

Obviously this isn't "supposed" to be out retail, so those prices aren't accurate, however the only price i can find that is "correct" is $657, and that ain't much better, especially considering it's $657 for retail and retail needs to make a profit, so ad another $50 at MINIMUM onto that

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Yep, but AMD isn't targetting that market with their APUs....and most that buy those processors either aren't using the iGPU or aren't doing anything graphics intensive with the iGPU. In either case, people need to stop trying to compare AMD's APUs to products that they don't compete against.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

11. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    I think it's pretty interesting that the CPU portion of these new APUs is better then the FX series in many scenarios. I'm not sure if that's a credit to the A10/A8 line or a discredit to the FX series, but it's nice to see AMD looking good with APUs (and GPUs). :)

12. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Probably a credit to the APUs.

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The APU's are amazing for their price and performance. Conroe for Intel was based on their lower level Pentium m platform. If AMD works on their memory controllers and go to say quad channel memory, these things will fly!

14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    somewhere down the line I will replace my old Q6600 comp with amd set and use that as htpc.

15. SquirrelBoy

SquirrelBoy Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX770 Jetstream
    " and has an SEP of $130USD / 120 EUR."
    $130 = €95! €120 = $163!!
    why is it so much more expensive in europe?! same goes for 120hz screens: $250 in the US, €300 ($400) here.

yes, this upsets me.

16. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Import taxes.

17. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    Pretty much all computer parts and electronics are more expensive in the EU. It's not just this product by any means.