AMD 6870 Crossfire Slow

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by XfragDaz, Nov 14, 2010.

1. XfragDaz

XfragDaz Member

GPU:
    XFX/SAPPHIRE AMD6870 CF
    AMD 6870 Crossfire Fast but Slow ?

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone can help? Just put 6870 in crossfire all working with 10.10d drivers, most tests on games and heaven benchmarks are showing almost double in frames, but for some reason the games and benchmarks are twice the speed visually and smooth with one card running and half the framerate. Whats this all about lol can anyone help please?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  2. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    It's called microstuttering and is a consequence of using crossfire. Good fps on screen which don't translate in smooth gaming.
    To minimize the effects of crossfire, try to set your ingame settings for the game to run at least 60fps and turn vsync on.
    This kind of problems are never mentioned in reviews and some people claim that it's nonexistent.
    I personally experienced this problem in all crossfire systems I had.

3. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    Never got issues with micro stuttering. Check as below:

1) If Crossfire bridge make 100% contact
    2) Set the the videocard on PCI-E as GPU1 and so on...
    3) If doesn't help, swap the cards
    4) Make shore that both PCI-E has the same bandwidth.
    5) C1State put on OFF, if you got it.
    6) Uninstall 10.10d, swap clean, and install 10.11 through win update and CCC/AVIVO and the rest from 10.10.

4. XfragDaz

XfragDaz Member

GPU:
    XFX/SAPPHIRE AMD6870 CF
    Thanks for you help peeps, will give feedback as soon as ive tested all above.

Is C1State in the bios? and dose any one know about the L1/L0 in my bios and what should i do with them on, off or both thanks.

5. Pav4o

Pav4o Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970@1025MHz
    I notice in your sig "PSU: 600W" But what PSU? 600 W would not be sufficient to power a CF config, unless we speak of a top quality PSU, eg. Enermax, Corsair, CM etc.

6. XfragDaz

XfragDaz Member

GPU:
    XFX/SAPPHIRE AMD6870 CF
    Hi i have the following power supply below, this has never caused BSODS but dont know if it can still be under powering the cards thanks.

OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU - SLI Ready ATX2.2 12cm Fan.

7. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    low wattage...600 is OK for one card...noway can handle cfx...bad situation...650w is recommended for 6850/5850/5830 crossfirex, 750w recommended for 5870/6870 crossfirex... ;)

8. XfragDaz

XfragDaz Member

GPU:
    XFX/SAPPHIRE AMD6870 CF
    Think its sorted i had to drop my motherboards pcie timings one was at 16x and one at 8x, put them both to 8x hard fixed and all is well, smooth as silk. Still might get bigger power supply for my cards though, thanks for all the tips guys.

9. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    i have no idea what youre smoking...

940be = 125w
    6870 = 150w
    6870 = 150w
    total = 425w
    add in 50w or so for hard drives, optical drives and fans, and he's only using 475w.

475w/12V = 39.5A. his PSU's 12V rails have a max combined rating of 48A (580W), so his psu is more than adequete. heck, he could handle dual 5870s without any real issues with that power supply.

@OP - turn off cool and quiet if you had it activated, its finicky in some games.

if games start to crash whenever you get tessellation, swap them around on the motherboard. this is because one of the cards acts as a 'master' whilst the other acts as a 'slave' so generally one card works better in the top slot.