AMD 5 Series or Nvidia 'Fermi'

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by doh_nut, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Tweak-2-

Tweak-2- Active Member

GPU:
    Asus top 4870x2 512bit ,
    Um fellow gurus , any1 knw how many posts b4 that stupid a$$ newbie caption goes away

2. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    not too many, there used to be a guide to the titles, but I can't find it now. until then, welcome to G3D newbie :)

btw, this thread is bound to fail like all the other 5xxx vs fermi threads have

I have had both sides cards, and been happy with each with the exception of the 7900GT - That thing got murdered by AA and did not have good AF algorithms. the 9800 pro was king of the early DX9 cards, then the 6800s took advantage of SM3.0 while giving lower framerates than the X800series. IMO from having both cards, the X1K series dominated the 7900s in performance and image quality.

Now we are on to DX11 and both sides will clearly have their advantages, ATI will likely have good performance at a lower price, and nVidia from the looks of things will be faster, but more expensive. It is all pointless speculation though since there are no real numbers for gaming performance yet.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  3. Tweak-2-

Tweak-2- Active Member

GPU:
    Asus top 4870x2 512bit ,
    Why would u say that? ? Iv provides flawless information on both ati/amd and nvidia, , i understand there is alot of arguing but hey its like a ps3 vs xbox thread they will always fight, , personaly u cant compair a rich man to a hobo that won the lotto antil his ticket is released valid and he has the cash, same like u cant compare a hd5xxx to firmi since the only proof of firmi is the none cirtified info along with the youtube press, , but , firmi single cards should do well, , the dual card might take time to be optimized with drivers and nvidia will dominate in games its designd for, like iv seen a gtx280 loose to a hd4870, but iv seen a hd4870x2 loose 2 a gtx280, , its like i said , credit one debit other, sum win sum loose, , but for the moment since firmi isnt around, and i quote "since firmi isnt around" ati/amd holds the crown of single and dual gpu , till nvidia makes a realease no1 knws who will win or loose the crown

4. Tweak-2-

Tweak-2- Active Member

GPU:
    Asus top 4870x2 512bit ,
    That must be the leased offence iv givin in this whole thread today, can i get a ablause 4 that? ? Im new . B nice! Haha

5. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    Tweak - way to go on a non-offensive post lol. i saw you were typing from your phone, but your punctuation is really distracting. There are two symbols or an unneeded space on nearly every punctuation mark so you might try to fix that to be better understood. I usually don't complain about that stuff, but it would make a big difference in this case

6. Tweak-2-

Tweak-2- Active Member

GPU:
    Asus top 4870x2 512bit ,
    That must be the leased offence iv givin in this whole thread today, can i get a ablause 4 that? ? Im new . B nice! Haha im kinda glad im back on guru was on b4 but sum reason the security band me saying previously banned user, , i contacted admin and modz but no1 helpped then i got that guru editor guy hill sumthing to reopen my account after 3 days that i maild him, and im back user name works , password , and pc specs but my posts were reduced to 0, , , but its all gud im back now arnt i

7. Tweak-2-

Tweak-2- Active Member

GPU:
    Asus top 4870x2 512bit ,
    Yeah, sorry i use a large amount of commas and all of my marks, its kinda my trade in fourms , its how you can id me because im registerd with alot of fourms like asus,corsair, techpowerup , and a few others that cence when i tipe them, got in2 trouble about the cence before

8. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    according to http://www.nvidia.com/object/fermi_architecture.html the specs that have been floating around are a little inaccurate.

whereas the specs around online say 1500-ish kb L1 cache and 768kb L2 cache, nvidia says 64kb L1 cache and 768kb L2 cache.

here's a link of the card getting pwned http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10/01/nvidia-fakes-fermi-boards-gtc/

altho the reliability of this is questionable as the site is called 'semiaccurate', 1.7% yield is pure ownage...

looks like ati 5000 series will keep their prices for a bit longer.

9. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    That link is pure win! I haven't had such a good giggle in a looooooooooong time xD

10. Tweak-2-

Tweak-2- Active Member

GPU:
    Asus top 4870x2 512bit ,
    Look the rumors of hd5000 series were true, , the nvidia rumors change alot! ! And from a video on you tube a guy at a press confrence stated that ati wount need to drop the price since firmi is between 800 and 1200 dolars, , nvidia must release the card b4 i even think about looking for a bench cuz the fake benchies are around 4 long, and firmi was pulled back 2wice thanx 2 ati , first rumors second on release nvidia didnt know what to do, this is all said at the confrence

11. Tweak-2-

Tweak-2- Active Member

GPU:
    Asus top 4870x2 512bit ,
    And you g2 admit the quote from ati at the confrence of the hd4870, they said the 4th generation hd card will have dx11 and double the shading processors, , that was almost a year and a half b4 the time, , , , nvidia changed there specs 3x , so wtf?

12. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Nah they work together just fine and you can clock each card by itself.
    I had bought various other cards,but using paypal seems to put a person on the back burner,so its what i have at the moment.

Crysis Warhead 1920x1200 Enthusiast Avalanche 0AA
    Still room to OC for higher FPS.

Min=60.53
    Avg=100.16
    Max=122.83

[​IMG]

13. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Took the words right out of my mouth :nerd:

14. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    No offense Lavans, but isnt "Took the keystrokes right out of my fingers?" more correctly..? lol! :D

15. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    i wanted to wait for the farmi. but i cant wait any more. i ll buy 3 5870.

16. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    LOL I was waiting for Fermi too,could not resist any longer either.

17. elva007

elva007 Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1G
    guys I wanted to know if my 550 watt power supply will be enough for hd 5970 any ideas?

18. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    not too sure about the power consumption of your cpu and other accessories, but assuming your cpu is at 100w-ish, and you dont oc your cpu or the gpu, that should put you at about 400w, plus a bit more for optical drives, hdds, etc.

so it should be enough to run it, but it depends on the brand, whether that 550w is a peak rating (over inflated) or a max rating (more accurate), etc. if it was something like a thermaltake 550w, it would be fine. but if its an unknown brand, its safer to upgrade than to fry everything, especially considering the 5970's price tag.

19. elva007

elva007 Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1G
    thanks

20. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    do u overclock ur processor? u didn't write the model name of ur processor.
    if its a c2quad wolfdale u can go for it. but i will not suggest u to do that. at least buy a 650 watt for non overclocked system. and 800+ for overclocking