AMD 5 Series or Nvidia 'Fermi'

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by doh_nut, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Tweak-2-

Tweak-2- Active Member

GPU:
    Asus top 4870x2 512bit ,
    i would say gpucaps is awsome to test with but it uses physx and in physx apps ati sucks because my cpu renders it, , but exampl 3dmark05 is what guys use when they oc a amd phenom , because it has havok, , witch was a intel project givin to amd cuz they had what was needed to complete it vantage is intel i7 holds the crown, each company has a benifit and a loss like in latin est uist debit fecerre credit meaning benifit on the right and loos on the left

2. Tweak-2-

Tweak-2- Active Member

GPU:
    Asus top 4870x2 512bit ,
    sorry for posting so much guys i use my phone 4 fourms , in the bush pc internet is crazy, , if u want ati to be the best 3d card all that needs to be done is nvidia sign the release fourm of open source physx to the 3d cards , like they were asked but nope physx is there pride since they bought out ageia

3. Tweak-2-

Tweak-2- Active Member

GPU:
    Asus top 4870x2 512bit ,
    but what bothers me the most u need a min of 96 shaders to do physx, , a hd4870 has 800 and 5870 1600 u telling me they cant be modded for physx? they there for a reason wtf is ati hiding?

4. Tweak-2-

Tweak-2- Active Member

GPU:
    Asus top 4870x2 512bit ,
    posting again sorry, , but did you know that physx , actuall is a major cheat, nvidia alows those that use none nvidia cards to run physx on ur cpu, but limit them to one core physx, , did u know a amd phenom 940 is eaqual physx to a gtx295, , im lying? no run a physx app disable physx and run cpu, , ur quad core only does 1 full core or 25percent usage, depending on ur cpu tech, , what about the other 75percent or 3 cores- . . in physx fluids by kenneth bugeja my phenom 9850 thats old at 3.1ghz does 52fps , , um, oke but only one core. what if all 4 done physx! dude thats not gona go up another 150fps thats thinking stupid but atleast do 120-150, vantage score would rise and a hd4870 would beat a gtx260 with physx on a 9850,

5. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Hey you forgot to cover how Nvidia does AA in games compared to ATI.One could say Nvidia cheats there.
    EG:CSAA in Crysis vs MSAA for ATI.Just putting it out there.
    I am not for either side,I have high end crap from both sides.LOL

6. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    Why do these discussions always end up in an argument between fanboys?

I was talking to someone a while ago about the 5800's and he said that as long as no single card can beat his quad Mars they're a bad card. That's like saying that because no PC can beat a Cray super computer all PC's are rubbish. I told the guy he was a fool of a fanboy because he could have bought three 5870's, beaten those overpriced Mars and saved himself money.

However way it's twisted the 5800's are faster than the GTX200's and the numbers are in AMD's favour. Not only does the 5870 give the GTX295 a run for its money it uses a lot less power in idle and full load.

Now if you absolutely must stick with nVidia then, by all means, buy one of their cards but nVidia have said repeatedly that they aren't making enough money off us. They want to branch off heavily into the CUDA industry and that's what the Fermi is for. It's not meant to be a gamer card, it's meant to beat the GFlop killer of the 4xxx and 5xxx series. While the 4800's didn't really beat the GTX200's by that far they were cheaper and put out a lot more GFlop.

nVidia Have had serious problems selling their Tesla cards because of their extreme high price. They are claiming the Fermi chips will have an efficiency of 25% in double precision calculations, which is better than AMD's 20% (this is from memory and I could be wrong). They are hoping to change this and we will see what happens but one thing is certain: AMD are making a killing with their 5xxx series, to which nVidia simply don't have an answer.

I, personally, am waiting for Fermi. I want to see AMD drop their prices and then I'll pick up a 5850 or 5870. I have the money to buy one but I just don't want to, I can wait as my 4870 is, still, more than enough.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  7. Tweak-2-

Tweak-2- Active Member

GPU:
    Asus top 4870x2 512bit ,
    i was waiting for a post b4 i continue, like i said stuff cant be compared, alas, i disagree with adding 3x 5870, , the cpu work load and sapce is limited, if 2x 5870 can make a ocd i7 naphlem bottel neck then ull gain 2 - 5 percent on ur third, , basicaly a waist of 350 dolars, and ati price drop? whats the need? im nt a fan boy just do research for there fourms on the fairness of components, i quote from youtube live press confrence stating ''ati wount need to reduce the cost of there product to the client seen as high end firmi cards will be varied around 1200 us dolars'', so as my research piles , even if nvidia had the dual card firmi , it would take a while before the drivers are efficent and optimized for games, if your into gaming ati holds jhe crown . But nvidia holds the bench crown . As previously mentiond its a credit debit situation. But there are my opinions like the fourm said we are all intetiled to our own opinion.

8. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    what ever it is but the mankind is being benefited from this. how? see for this fight for performance we r getting newer and newer technology. out computers r getting faster and faster.

but there is a bad side too. no other company is capable in the competition. because if they wanna come in the computation they neww at list $1 billion investment along with technical expertise. $1 bilion may be manageable some how but the technical expertise is not so available. thats y the hardware market is being occupied by some 5 - 8 companies. may be like microsoft a single company or corporation will control the entire hardware world.

u cant fight with raw power with tweaking. if a gpu have lots of raw processing power it must perform better. but for this they need some revolutionary technology. like nvidia did with hardware TnL. till then we have to wait.

9. Tweak-2-

Tweak-2- Active Member

GPU:
    Asus top 4870x2 512bit ,
    gerhard whats the 5850 for? having a 5970 with a 5850 will reduce each core with its memory section to balance status, meaning u have 3x5850, , but i could be wrong , :)

10. Tweak-2-

Tweak-2- Active Member

GPU:
    Asus top 4870x2 512bit ,
    agrees with above post, , ur post rings true, but take into consideration that nvidia got a 200 mil dolar donation from the us government, , for a ''super computer'' funny that the funds reflect on nvidia's income but were is the service renderd thats ment to reflect aswel?? technicaly the taxpaying us citizens paid for firmi, , and ati has 3 great techs, havok, teslation and eyefinity, , they kinda own dx11 aswel , , til nvidia brings out firmi, , looks like im picking sides but im not, , nvidia has cuda, oh and they bought a bankrupt company called ageia, , so they have power aswel, , but lets wait and see what life brings us,

11. Tweak-2-

Tweak-2- Active Member

GPU:
    Asus top 4870x2 512bit ,
    but alow me to quote u my friend from above, , ur words saying raw material, , and hardware cant be tweaked, , , whats that fancy sign of nvidia the way its ment to be playd for then- - the game was encoded in a fourm of easy decoding for nvidia cards, , i call that tweaking, , , sumthing that has physx inplemented aswell, if another card has no sign acess to adress it do u state that as a fair trile?

12. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    i cant accept your opinion. because see the bech marks of the games based on dx10. before 5 series from ati nvidia had the crown. but at the era of dx9 (ps 1 , 2.0, 2.0b, 3.0) ati had the quality advantage nvidia had the frame rate advantage ( some times ati had both ). so we can say that at that time they ware equal but with the 8800 the advantage is gone. now framerate matters. n nvidia rules. and we cant still say anything about dx11 now because the war of dx11 is just started, lets see what happens.

see this
    dx 6 ( nvidia vs 3dfx vs ati vs s3)
    with the glide effect 3dfx was the winner

dx 7 ( nvidia vs 3dfx vs ati)
    this time nvidia just crushed 3dfx voodo 5 with hardware TnL capable geforce. ati was late.
    s3 was completely lost after this.

dx 8 ( nvidia vs ati era starts from here)
    nvidia was the clear winner.

dx 9.0 (ati vs nvidia )
    with 9700 ati charmed the market. then nvidia's geforce fx was a rubbish card. with 6800 nvidia came back but ati's x800 was not behind. now nvidia's 7800s, ati came out with x1k. it was g8 fight and both of them won.

dx 10 ( nvidia vs ati)
    nvidia won by a small margin.

dx 11 we cant predict anything till now.

13. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    i said raw power not raw material.

btw i'm a big fan of nvidia. even i have a big vinyl on my car says

" the wat its mean to be played " along with the nvidia logo.

14. solidsteel144

solidsteel144 Active Member

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD 5970
    ATi>nVidia

nuff said :p

15. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    [​IMG]

16. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    [​IMG]

17. TARNY

TARNY Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti
    ive had a lot of nvidia cards...the best was a pair of gtx 8800 in sli..worked a treat then went to a GX2..worst card ever then went to a 280 gtx..great card and really fast and it OC really well then sold that and got a pair of 4890's in crossfire..at the time i was gutted as performance wasnt as good as the gtx 280 so bought another gtx 280 after selling them then went and bought a 5870 didnt work too well so put that up for sale and bought a 295 which wasnt what i thought.so sold that for the same price i bought it for and stuck with the 5870.

i still prefer Nvidia ..drivers are better.i feel nvidia are more solid and feel expensive compared to ATI ,,the fan loooks tacky and thats why we probably pay a bit extra for the nvidia compared to the same performance card ati has to offer for less.

its whats the best single card performance at the time .both ATI and Nvidia have very good cards,price,performance wise.they produce some very good cards

18. Tweak-2-

Tweak-2- Active Member

GPU:
    Asus top 4870x2 512bit ,
    Um if the fan looks cheap isnt ur manufacture 2 blame? ? Release states after the first fase of retail design is sold that the manufacture can customise the fan to optimise the cooling, i use asus and asus only, now u wana tell me the darknight design is nvidia? But asus used it on ati first for the hd4870, hmmm but that means they both got the same cooler?? So they both cheap? ? Oke , dude ati / nvidia u pay for the pcb and gpu design the looks u blame on your manufacture, , , and from above sorri not raw material, was giving class, my mind slipped and i use my phone i call him timmy, so blame timmy, haha, , anyways both nvidia and ati are great, but were does ati scam? ?

1. Nvidia threatend ubisoft to remove dx10.1

2. Nvidia makes u believe u need physx , when a phenom 940 can do the same thing as a gtx295, , if the bin files adress more than 1core or 25 %cpu usage.

3. Nvidia is expensive, , i know they at a loss , check the google finance sheets.

4.In south africa nvidia is 2 expensive! ! 7.5 zar is 1 dolar , i pay 7500 for a asus 295 gtx, thats 1000 dolar,

5. Nvidia tried to make a back up plan and put win7 on hold til they had a dx11 3d card, but ms had a engeneerd sample of ati dx11 ,

6.Sli sux, , maby now with better drivers its better,

7. All nvidia fanboys hate ati drives , , why? ? Cuz they more user friendly , i duno why ppl say ati drivers are unstable, , the Cf issue passed with ccc 7.9, so wtf,

i know i got alot bad to say about nvidia im sori i do, iv ownd many of the cards they serve well but i like fps/zar ratio, , and ati wins, ,

plz feel free to post reasons of Ati scam, , i couldnt find any on the net, besides a Ccc 8.4 driver to cheat in 3dmark vantage

19. solidsteel144

solidsteel144 Active Member

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD 5970
    Jeez it was a joke...
    [​IMG]

20. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    ^^^^^^^^^^^+1 x infinity!!