AMD 5 Series or Nvidia 'Fermi'

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by doh_nut, Dec 14, 2009.

1. doh_nut

doh_nut Member

GPU:
    2 x GA GTX460 OC SLI
    @scoter man1... This thread has no intentions on achieving any type of results... as i mentioned earlier it is about opinion, its meant for people just to put up their opinion to try and stop sum of the rubbish that happens in other threads....

There is NO right or wrong answers/posts, etc it is purely based on opinion... You can agree with some1's opinion or you can disagree, i don't really care...

2. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Sorry but I buy whats good enough. If I was a fanoby I'd have the very best intel CPU and a 5970 in my machine.

I want my games to run great max'd at 60 FPS Vsync, and well guess what, thats what I got out of my rig. Even Dirt 2 on this card in DX 11 with 4xAA I havent had a problem with.

So really, I do not care I look at my price range, what I want to spend, whats about AT THE TIME.

Nvidia always charges more for a few more uneeded FPS as of late, and I just personally do not see the need for it. So, I will buy ATI untill they price reasonably, and not charge 100 dollars for 10 more FPS when 10 more FPS will NOT make a difference when you already pull 60.

I mean unless you are just in it for benchmarks, have fun with Nvidia.

IMHO if you just want what I mentioned above, games running max'd with 60 FPS vsync at 1080p, take a look at my system specs. This rig does exactly that.

No point in "waiting" or spending more on Nvidia. That imo is fanboysim.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  3. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    theres always something better around the corner, first it will be Furmi, then ATI will have their second wave of cards then Nvidia will have another round, etc. etc. it goes on forever.

4. doh_nut

doh_nut Member

GPU:
    2 x GA GTX460 OC SLI
    True...

5. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    My GTX295 was a lot quieter than my 5870... it sounds like a fooking jet engine at anything above 33%, but it rarely goes above that speed anyway.

6. Goliath182

Goliath182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 Redline
    Yea imagine a 4870 x2 only worse and your at the 5970 levels lol. But yea the 5970 never gets up that high. Sure I can hear it but its not bad at all.

7. doh_nut

doh_nut Member

GPU:
    2 x GA GTX460 OC SLI
    I have noticed that ATi cards are louder than Nvidia cards... my 4870 sounds like an aeroplane when its under full load.... runs warm too at around 70+ degrees C...

8. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    That's pretty odd, my 5870 is very quiet. It's only loud if I manually adjust fan to over 40%.

I have it on auto, and it only goes to about 68C at the highest.

9. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Must just be personal taste.

I think getting onto 33% and above its becoming noticable. 40% is getting on undesirable with regard to the noise it produces, but as you say, it's a cool chip and it rarely ever needs to go above 30% most of the time.

Unless im playing the RUSE beta... it doesn't seem to like my overclock (wtf) and crashes my system... RUSE of all games :3eyes:

10. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Anyway, was this thread necessary? This is like begging for a flame war :\

At least, it will attract the zombies* once they smell your fear.

*fanboys

11. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    The biggest deciding factor for me was Eyefinity due to the fact that I'm into digital art and development. I've always wanted to have the ability to run 3 monitors without dropping $300+ on an adapter in conjunction with a card that probably won't hold up at 5760x1080 in the games that I play.

As always, buy what suits your needs ( and wallet ) best. Don't let fanboys try to sway you into either direction.

12. ninja_San_San

ninja_San_San Member

GPU:
    HIS HD4850 ICE-Q 700/1100
    I'm still waiting for Fermi to make a final consensus.

As it stands, I've always wondered about when ATi will make another super chip. I know that after the 2900XT(and it's 1GB variant the supposed 2900XTX but called 2900XT 1GB) they stopped that idea. But I really do miss the times when ATi made those insanely epic and just mindblowing advances and VPU chips that just demolished.

That said, I just might get Fermi if it can outperform the HD5870 by about 60%.

13. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    I doubt this will happen. More times than not, the highest end card available will usually only perform 25% faster in comparison to the more mainstream gamer cards. For example, the GTX285 ( being the fastest non HD5000 video card, or dual GPU ) has been known to buckle against the HD4890 in some tests, even though the HD4890 is more or less on par with the GTX275.

If by some chance there is a card of the same generation that out performs a mainstream gamer card by 50%-60%, and isn't a dual GPU card, you can expect the price to be inflated beyond belief. IMO, price-to-performance always wins regardless if there's a faster unit available.

14. Jcazz

Jcazz Master Guru

GPU:
    Tri-fire 5870
    Wait and never make a buy...is also an option. :biggun:

15. PR-0927

PR-0927 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+

This logic makes no sense at all. If you were a fanboy, you would buy the products of one company, not what's best (currently Intel CPUs and the Radeon HD 5970).

Your system is using one of the most powerful GPUs - weaker GPUS could've pulled off the "60 FPS vsync at 1080p" fine.

And waiting for the new GPUs does not make you a fanboy. It makes you intelligent - you don't waste money at the time, and can make a more informed decision later - you'll probably save money too, if you choose to buy cards from the underdog. Impulsively buying one company's products would make you a fanboy.

- PR-0927

16. signas_86

signas_86 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 SLI Watercooled
    im using both cards before...for me buy the best performance that is affordable...right now ATI has the price/performance...its your choice though...

17. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    For me, it was a no brainer..... ATI has the goods now, Nvidia didn't. if they did, I may have gone that way. NVidia dropped the proverbial ball.

Now will the fermi be a bit more powerful..... Perhaps, but lets face it, what game is going to touch the 5800 series true potential. It wont happen for years to come.

Point is, ATI has the goods now, go for it and enjoy!!

18. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    well I had a lot of cards from both and all I can say is that there are periods when one has the best and the other way... but both have quality products and I never had any problem with any card that I had from both... so at the moment think that ATI is ahed and I am very happy with my 5850... for me is like an oldschool card as you have the pleasure to flash the bios, increase voltage and get a lot more from the card:) think that best is like it is as there is competition on the market and we get better products for less money

19. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    its true that ati's 5800 came first. and when nvidia will come out with the frami by that time ati will be ready with the next gen cards. but 5800 may support dx 11 but its performance level is same as gtx200 series. in really "little" better then gtx200's. but the single gpu farmi will be way better then gtx 295. the dual gpu solution will be 1.5 times of that single gpu card. so if u buy a farmi card u will be safe till Microsoft comes out with a new direct x. like the 8800gtx or 9800gx2 owners can still play games with a very playable frame rate ( @ 1600 * 1200 ). more over still no remarkable directx 11 game is out, so it will be a good idea to wait if u have a gtx 200 or geforce 8 or 9 series card. then see which one is better farmi or the 5800.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  20. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    it can happen. do u remember the era of 3dfx and nvidia. with the geforce 256 was way faster then the voodoo5. then the ati cards like rage3d was slower then the geforce by a huge margin. do u remember the geforce 5800 was slower the 9700pro when playing directx 9 games. u cant predict it. but u can assume. BTW we r the consumer, we will go for that, which is very friendly to our pocket and gives us enough frame rate to play games with a descend freamrate..

but the chance this to happen is nearly 0%.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009