AMD 5 Series or Nvidia 'Fermi'

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by doh_nut, Dec 14, 2009.

1. doh_nut

doh_nut Member

GPU:
    2 x GA GTX460 OC SLI
    After reading a fair few posts noticing that people get distracted from the main point of the post and starting a war between AMD 5 series and Nvidia 'Fermi'...

This thread is just for that, "let her rip", just post your opinions regarding either side....

This should hopefully allow the other threads to stay clean and free from this Nvidia v ATi battle...

There are only two rules....

1) no swearing, "name - calling", etc... Everyone is entitled to their opinion
    2) If your going to post any sort of factual information, back it up with other
    sources that can prove that...

BTW, this post does apply to both AMD and Nvidia Fans... I only put it under the ATi Category coz i am an ATi Fan but all opinions are welcome

Other than that, have fun... :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. spleended

spleended Member Guru

GPU:
    ATi XFX HD4870 512mb
    well,id personaly go for ati 5 series,cuz i am ati fan and it seems they are more reliable,i never had nvidia card.

3. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Which makes you biased.

Well, either way, the ATi cards are very reasonably priced, and I can only imagine the prices going down when Fermi is released. And we haven't seen any real benchmarks of Fermi, so we can't even say whether or not they will live up to the hype.

I upgraded from an 8800GT to an HD5850, and I'm glad I did. That's all I can say.

4. PR-0927

PR-0927 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+
    I've had both ATI and nVidia cards. IMO, nVidia runs much cooler, and I do believe that their drivers are more solid.

For the nVidia stuff, we used to run a GeForce 6800 GT, my laptop has a GeForce 8600M GT, and our home main computer has an GeForce 8600 GTS. Oh, and I have the original Xbox, if that counts.

For the ATI stuff, my gaming computer has a Radeon HD 4870 X2 and our HTPC has a Radeon HD 4650. Oh, and we have an Xbox 360, again, if that counts.

I'm waiting for nVidia's new stuff. Fanboyism is the height of stupidity. Just buy the best thing, dammit, or the best thing for you, and stop becoming loyal to a company that doesn't give a **** about you.

ATI's HD 5xxx series are impressive, but I was kinda' hoping for a little more. So, I'm hoping nVidia will deliver some badass cards for my next upgrade.

IMO, no point buying ATIs DirectX 11 cards right now if you've already got a functioning GPU. Waiting until nVidia's cards come will most likely result in a price decrease of ATI cards (or visa-versa, depending on who has the superior cards). So, it's a win-win situation.

- PR-0927

5. doh_nut

doh_nut Member

GPU:
    2 x GA GTX460 OC SLI
    I said i am an ATi Fan... i Like their products coz they are fast and well priced...

I would gladly have posted this under a General Video Card thread but i cudn't see one so i just placed it under ATi... i am not being biased in any way

6. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Whatever is fastest when you 'want in now'. ATI or Nvidia I'm not bothered, just which is pushing the most fps. I couldn't wait anymore and got a 5970 to replace my 8800U.

I personally think Fermi will be faster even if it is by a small margin as Nvidia would be crazy to release it if it was slower than the 5970 and they have many months to make sure of that yet.

I hope ATI have kept power back on driver level on purpose for now to mislead the green camp...

7. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    just changed from nvidia after many yrs and am impressed with the 5800 series.

will be interesting when nvidia release their next beasts.

p.s the 5800's run as cool as any 260/285 i had previously. in fact i think the 5870 is coolest of them all :)

8. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    from my experience I'd favour the ATI cards slightly, but wait till Fermi comes out and they have their price war before taking the plunge

9. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Quoted For Truth.

10. Goliath182

Goliath182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 Redline
    +1 :)

11. MLS

MLS Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD5850
    How can you compare a card that is out to one that is not?

12. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Simple answer is:
    You can't. Yet many people would like to give it a shot anyway.
    Those, we call fanboys.
    Fanboys, we call foolish.

And that goes for both ATI, Intel and Nvidia.

13. Goliath182

Goliath182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 Redline
    Thats why you wait for it to come out so you can accurately judge the price to performance ratio.

14. doh_nut

doh_nut Member

GPU:
    2 x GA GTX460 OC SLI
    Sorry all...

I put in the title Nvidia 'Fermi'...

Of course we all know its not out yet, lets just make it Nvidia cards in general (i.e. GT200, 8000 series, 7000 series, etc) and of course if people want to add in speculations regarding GT300... This thread is intended for debate to keep the arguements out from other threads....

I like the ATi 5000 series very much coz we can see the performance they offer (through reviews, etc) and we know the cards actually exist... Until Nvidia have a comparable card out on the market, no amount of Marketing will convince me that they are better (or worse).... We'll let the performance reviews determine that when the card is hopefully released next year... Can't wait until Guru3d.com has the reviews posted up coz then we'll definantly know all there is about these new cards...

15. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well All I can say I am waiting for Fermi.Although I know ATI are releasing more cards.

I can tell ya though with one overclocked 5970 it is faster then 3x285 GTX in most games.

16. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    My last few cards have been a 7800GTX, 8800GT, 8800GTSLI, GTX295 and this 5870, and the ATI card has been the coolest of them all at idle and at full load.

So in my own personal experience i'd have to disagree that nVidia cards are cooler.

I also had more driver issues with nVidia. I've had none so far with ATI.

17. Goliath182

Goliath182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 Redline
    Nvidia cards definitely have quieter fans. My friends 295 is no where near as loud as my 5970.

18. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    This thread is a failway to nowhere. Whoever started this probably didnt have the best idea because its simply the persons opinion, which, all of ours are different and we all disagree with each other somewhere. The result of the thread will probably be a 50-50, if you are looking for results.

I guess I'll answer because I came to the trouble of clicking on this thread. Personally I'll probably end up buying a fermi after the price comes down. I personally have not had good luck with ATI cards. I've had an instance where just because of the ati card, it sometimes takes 8+ attempts of getting a computer going before it will even post, without the ATI card, its fine. Plus as of right now, I personally like nvidia more. I think their drivers are a little more solid and I believe they have more to offer than ATI does (when the fermi gets here). Also as others have said, nvidia runs cooler which makes me more calm.

19. Goliath182

Goliath182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 Redline
    Really it depends on the series. 57xx series run cooler than any Nvidia card I have ever seen (even cooler than my 275 with a HR-03 GTX) thats in Crossfire mind you.

20. doh_nut

doh_nut Member

GPU:
    2 x GA GTX460 OC SLI
    I have only ever had 1 driver issue with ATi and that was with the release of DiRT2... I was using the 9.10 Catalyst drivers and had to upgrade to 9.11, since then i haven't noticed anything...

The same 4 Nvidia... i used to have a GTX260 (it died so i replaced it with the Radeon 4870), i only had one real driver issue, sumthing with the drivers above 178 (i beleive) didn't allow Bioshock to play properly (it kept stuttering)....

I have however noticed an improvement with Lighting in games since moving to ATi....

Both companies offer powerful cards, don't get me wrong, i just prefer ATi cards (for the time being...) we'll have to wait and see what happens on both fronts next year....