AMD 10-core Ryzen 2800X in response to Intel Core i9-9900K?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    This is correct, Ryzen 2700X can do easily 4,45~4,5GHz with 102~103% BCLK.
    Issue is that other devices can't handle it. Clock looked nicely in my testing, no need to bump voltage either.

But Main Issue there is Power consumption. It spikes up. And load on 2 cores is enough to heat CPU to 65C and more. This results in reduced multiplier set by PBO.

I did not try manually setting regular 43,5x multi and BCLK to 103MHz. But that would put static clock to all cores and require sh*tload of power at idle.

2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    in single CPU no, it's 6T/12T... but most bench consider that is single CPU even if you have many (i haven't got a 16C/32T either despite it show this way).

3. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Maybee it is a pizza with 10 pepperonis?

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    What?

I've never seen any of that on multiple intel systems.

That sounds like a lot of user error IMO.

5. Venix

Venix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    what are you smoking ? I3 330m on a laptop never had such problem ... intel 3770k on my old desktop also no such problem ... also saw multiple core 2 duos in the past and quads ...and various generations of i 3 /5 /7 on other people briefly none of em what so ever did this crackling you talk about

2800x 10 core ? unless they cram in there 2 dies .... i doubt it ! not with zen+ at least

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I've wondered the same thing, though in a more generalized sense:
    Why does each CCX need to have the same amount of cores as the other?

So, why don't you get one of the existing 12 core models?

7. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    I get what he's saying because i've experienced something similar with Intel cpus. When the cpu is maxed out then it seems to be really maxed out but with AMD when the cpu hits 100% it still seems to have something left over to do other stuff.

I think it might be down to how actually the CPU works while being close to 100% usage. When i stress test my Intel CPU and then try listen to music or whatever it does sometimes hang a bit. While my AMD system is happy at 100% and seems to be able to cope with even more added tasks.

8. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I only need 11.

yasamoka and H83 like this.
  9. neikosr0x

neikosr0x Member

GPU:
    Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333mhz
    Well It is well known that Zen+ with the 2700x is very very competitive vs any Intel CPU even the 8700k Yes not as good in gaming as Zen+ is always 5 to 13 FPS at 1080p behind The thing is that Zen+ or even "Zen1" Are way cheaper than any Intel CPU that would give you the same or more performance... That 9900x will certainly be better in my ways than any Zen+ to date not sure about Zen2. But again at what price? my guess is not less than 650USD and not less than 700 Pounds unless Zen2.

10. neikosr0x

neikosr0x Member

GPU:
    Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333mhz
    Ohhh man the Audio Crackle, It happened sooo many times on my Intels CPUs not once with Ryzen

11. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Vega 64 DIY
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cant remember where the test was, but a reviewer testet Ryzen vs 8700k when gaming and steaming at the same time, the Ryzen gave the streaming conversion higher priority and the 8700k gave the game higher priority
    The Ryzen had worse gaming experience, but a lot less dropped frames in the streaming and the 8700K produced a very bad stream, without playing around with locking cores to stream only.
    It looked like the 2 CPU´es had very different automatic load distribution algorithms.
    My last 4 CPU´es has been AMD, so sadly i can not test it myself, i can run Cinebench or benchmark CPU while listening to music and browse around, the machine is slower and the score is lower, but everything runs without error.

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 590
    Not happening , i call it fake ;)

13. The Reeferman

The Reeferman Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1400 MHz
    I recognize that too.

14. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SOLD!
    I've analysed many of these posts and ... *uhh huh --- sniff sniff* ... oh boy... flame on people....

;) :rolleyes:

15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I want one with 13 cores...

K.S. and airbud7 like this.

16. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    My special-issue software crashes if the CPU doesn't have exactly 1.21 Jiga-Cores.

Come on VIA, I know you can do it !

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I've experienced the audio crackling on several Intel systems. That's why I don't use onboard audio. It only really seems to be a problem when an older Realtek audio chipset is used. I never thought to test with the Realtek audio chipset on my Z170 board. I tried to test it with another (non-Realtek) integrated audio chip, but the crackling persisted regardless of the CPU load.

Aside from the audio crackling, I've never seen the other issues claimed, but I also don't try to do CPU intensive tasks in the background while gaming. I've had no problem listening to music while playing any game, regardless of CPU....unless you take into account the insane amount of crackling from Realtek audio chipsets. Stick with a dedicated sound card and no crackling seems to happen.

pimpineasy likes this.
  18. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    And what you get for extra cores? NOTHING IN MOST CASES while IPC/IPS affects performance in absolutely everything even in multicores environment. People will never win the "more cores is better than ipc" argument unless everything scales like crazy which it doesn't.

19. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Couldn't agree more. I have both 2700x and 8700K systems and I much prefer to use my intel system for high refresh QHD with 1080 ti. Ryzen just isn't as well rounded yet for that purpose.

20. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    As an owner of both 8700K and 2700x I don't see the snappiness you refer to in your post. The 8700K is much more snappier in the daily use and performs better for high refresh gaming. My Ryzen system is great when I need more CPU power for things like encoding for me personally. I DO NOT find Ryzen even overclocked with good memory to be snappier in most software. They have their uses but not as many people benefit from Ryzen 8 cores over a good Intel 6 core. Ryzen is definitely more powerful when all cores are utilized but you have to have a use case to reap the extra performance.

Jagman and Killian38 like this.