1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD’s Radeon R9 390X ES Performance Numbers Leaked - Faster than Geforce 980

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    How is your post any different than the vast majority of posts in this thread? Why not try to extinguish the thread instead of fanning the flames.

2. Illnino

Illnino Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    Agreed. Like I said in my first post, with that power draw vs SP count its more than likely the 380x, also being what was translated on Chiphell.

Anyhow another case of lets wait and see......

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Firstly I'm an NVIDIA fanboy or is it fanboi? I say this for all the geeky clowns out there. I will also put it another way for all the intelligent people out there...i prefer nvidia over amd because nvidia build a faster performaning gpu that uses less power, runs cooler and overclocks much much better than amds cards. Even though nvidia are more expensive that does not concern me as its up to me how I spend my money beings as I'm the one that goes out to work to earn it.

Secondly the moderator do a good enough job, they are fair with peoples comments in general. They are also not the Gestapo so some people should stop expecting them to be. The moderators probably have life outside of the forum, maybe some members here should try and experience life outside guru3d and the internet. It will do wonders for your sex life as well as other things.

Thirdly there's a good chance that gm200 will blow this 380/390 clean out of the water and I do mean CLEANLY out. Thing is historically nvidia has always been the champion when I comes to technology regarding superior performance over amd. Its been like this for years and years so why is it going to be any different know? The fact is it isn't, amd will release a fast card and then nvidia will release the ace card blowing amd away AGAIN. Then we play the waiting game once again waiting foe amd to catch up once again.

Amd owners get angry because they would love to say the same as what I've just said but they cant cause there cards get blown away pretty quickly by an NVIDIA counter move.

So they come up with all the other crap like flamebaiting,trolling and all the other rubbish because its the only counter that they have lol.

(lets see how they like that one):)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  4. pbvider

pbvider Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Ohh boy.../popcorntime

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    No they haven't.

Recently they have but in the past they haven't. And regardless AMD is competing on price vs performance. And while I understand that you may not care about that metric there are generally more people who do care then don't.

6. Noufel

Noufel Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 ti xtrem
    I own a 980 g1 sli they are good performers but frankly i regret my 290 trix cfx because of the price/perf ratio and good cfx scalling,don't bother explain to me the power efficiency and overclockability thing because the oc on maxwell don't give the same perfomance that an oc on hawaii gives and dsr and mfaa are simply gadjets more that useful for me so when the fiji 390x comes out it will be an instant buy for me :)

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Wrong.....Apart from the some of the FX nvidia cards, AMD have been destroyed performance wise, with every generation of gpu architecture. Not to mention that AMD drivers were bad years ago and cfx sucked bad. Its only know that the drivers have improved in the last 1-2 years.

8. ceesay

ceesay Master Guru

GPU:
    2-X Titan X (Pascal) -SLI
    yep ^^^^ :thumbup:

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    You are right is some points, but reality is magical place... everyone has one of his own.
    In my reality I did have little troubles with old ATi AIW drivers. At time I hade TNT2, cousin had ATi Rage Pro and While performance were not that different, I hated how much worse IQ was on TNT2. Not Even GF2 MX fix that.
    At time I had AIW R9000 Pro which was pretty low compared to 9700/9800, Cousin had GF4 Ti 4200. Difference between my DX8.1 vs his DX8.0 shown how much more ATi did in IQ and performance/watt.

Then there were some darker times as nV got IQ to proper levels, got very good performance. But performance on both camps nearly doubled with each generation and with that in mind I can calmly say that if top card becomes obsolete in 18 months then some 10-15% difference in performance between AMD and nV matters little.

Then there was that HD5xxx AF failure and nV burn me plenty driver.
    Afterwards AMD has been sabotaged as that idiot of an person decided to promote VLIW4 over GCN so I did not touch 6950/70 in any way.
    And with HD7970 AMD made product which people bought because they considered it good enough for those money. And that performance went in time up by good 20% (that is what I call value).
    Nv brings 680 which is just that bit better but expensive, and till 970 came only card on nV camp in last 5 years which I considered as good perf/price was 770 as on its launch it was like 30% cheaper than 680 while being same.

I spent quite some time on both camps, but in the end I prefer AMD. Not because I blindly believe they are always better in everything, but because I hate nVidia practices.

And while you tend to persuade everyone that AMD is inferior and people should not buy their products, you should be thankful instead that AMD is afloat and keeps nV prices somewhat in check.

10. evasiondutch

evasiondutch Banned

GPU:
    2x-MSI gaming 290x 4gb OC
    This and good reply he deserves.

It's how some think they need to reply to AMD news and how green beats red sad indeed:(

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Ummmm.... my 7950 OC'd from 840mhz to 1200mhz with no issues. My 660's, if OC'd at all, will throttle because of a ridiculous thermal restriction that should have never existed. (The GPU's are perfectly safe to run beyond 75C)

In F@H, my 7950 manages 90-120K PPD whereas my 2x660's barely manage 30K combined. Even my 560Ti managed 35K on it's own. Keep in mind that NVidia forced me to buy the 7950 by gimping GPGPU performance for Kepler.

My 7950 managed to run DA2 just fine. With the latest drivers, my 660's can barely run the damn game.....and now it's missing textures and NPC's show up as floating shields and swords.

If you're posting Anti-AMD crap in an AMD related thread, you're either trolling or flamebaiting. If you're not interested in AMD hardware, there's really no reason to be posting in an AMD thread at all.

12. evasiondutch

evasiondutch Banned

GPU:
    Nvidia customers 90% buys because its fastest GPU for few fps more then AMD willing to pay few hundred dollars more for few fps more.

Btw AMD cards play almost all games very well or have sometimes trouble same as Nvidia have wwith there cards seeing all over the net many Nvidia complaining about there performance and drivers.

13. evasiondutch

evasiondutch Banned

GPU:
    Seeing your replys they are also not as high standard for old geezer. I say grow up if your that old and still have to reply with childish remarks (this reply you make included)about how you dad beats my dad how silly is that, shame on you.

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    For someone who doesn't want nvidia mentioned in an amd thread, why do you mention nvidia? You seen to have a deep hatred in a brand you have no intention of buying. Seems like wasted energy to me.

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Ah well, may as well bookmark my posts so i dont have to type them out again for when both cards are released. If im wrong anybody, please feel free to quote me or redirect me back to this thread when both cards are released. I wont hold my breath. :D

Right im off for a beer :cheers:

16. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1 Gaming
    I hate it when people just come out with random BS and think it's gospel.

People always say, If AMD wasn't around then Nvidia/Intel would put prices sky high.

There is no evidence this is the case. If Nvidia had 100% of the market then i believe the prices would actually come down not up.

They could charge a lot less because they have way more products to sell. It might effect the speed at which newer parts come out but that would only be better off for the consumers.

Nvidia has a huge R&D budget compared to AMD so of course they are the leaders in this field. AMD plays catch up most of the time and that only hurts the consumers in the long term. Flagship cards not even lasting 6 months at the top is cool if you don't mind spunking thousands on newer tech every 12 months.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    There is plenty of evidence to support the theory that NVidia and Intel would jack of their prices if they had no competition. Just look at history. If a company has no competition, there's nothing to regulate pricing. If you're the only company selling a product or service that's a necessity to a market, you set the price, not the market. If NVidia were the only supplier of GPU's, they could (and based on history, would) jack up prices just because their product is a necessity. If Intel were the only provider of CPU's they could (and based on history, would) jack up prices just because their product is a necessity. Competition is what regulates prices for a market, in the consumers' favor. Anti-Monopoly laws didn't come about because companies were offering products at fair prices in markets they had total control over. Quite the contrary, actually. The laws came about because companies were gouging their customers due to lack of competition.

Those who refuse to learn from the past, are doomed to repeat it.....

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Another thing about these performance numbers is the fact that we do not know if the gtx 980 is OCed to its maximum potential because the graphs are going by average numbers. 2nd of all there is nothing wrong with AMD and there is nothing wrong with Nvidia.

19. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I heard AMD's next series is gonna be so much better that they decided to skip it and release the refresh chip, 490x. Only 5% faster yet they charge the same and it costs like 30% less to make.

OUTRAGE

20. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    I had 7970's in Crossfire bud. I ran them at 1200mhz too, but it was only barely a 100mhz increase, and at 1.2ghz.

A single GTX 980 is outperforming the 7970's I had, and OC'd 250mhz to 1.5ghz. That is a big difference.

If the 390 whatever it is even comes close to 1.5ghz OC'd then it will compete with the 980.

Like I said...we don't know. The HD 7000 series is irrelevant as it has nothing to do with the 390X or whatever it will be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.