1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD’s Radeon R9 390X ES Performance Numbers Leaked - Faster than Geforce 980

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sempaii

Sempaii Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 G 4GB
    Is that all, well gees ill stay with my msi 970 G for now.
    When starcitizen is rls ill pick a 970 more an go sli. more then anof for me. ;)

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    His comments about every AMD card is : Titan II will beat this, I guarantee it.

I guess he really want to get rid of his 1,000$. :D

3. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    If it wasn't faster than a 980 it'd be pointless

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Should add 'in' to the beginning of your username ;).

Being an engineering sample the final product could be much faster. It also isn't clear whether it is an early sample or late sample, or whether it's clocked at the full speed or a lower speed that engineering samples often are (I believe).

So, it may be clocked lower than the final card (on the GPU or memory, or both side of things), may not represent the final tweakings of the final card, and also the drivers used may not be tweaked to take full advantage of it. In a sense the card is a revolution, meaning it has quite large architectural changes. This could potentially lead to having more scope for performance improvements through the driver. The Nvidia 900 series however is more of an evolution, it may have less scope for large performance increases in the driver.

5. pbvider

pbvider Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Mindblowing!A newer card faster than an older card!

Yeah,I bet the card will be about 50-75 % faster than a GTX 980,also with the perfect drivers made by fantastic AMD team ,the card will be ever more faster.Also let`s face it,GTX 9xx series is bad,nV in general is bad, but AMD will come with a fantastic card,plus the Fail-Sync is coming. Wanna bet that the AMD card is overclocked the F*** out?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    It also may be a 310x, it may not even be real, it may be a giant elephant powering a nuclear reactor attached to a cog wheel system that somehow magically computates frames. I mean all this **** is rumor and I can only go by what they are saying.

Even if the final product ends up 25% faster then a 980, I still won't be impressed by it. I honestly wasn't even impressed with the 980, every day I question why I even own one. But at least there I can kinda understand why it doesn't live up to my expectations. It was a minor arch change on the same process with no major marquee features. With the 390x, supposedly, you have a die shrink, HBM, nearly double the shaders and maybe it performs 25% faster then a 980? Nvidia can easily just double the 980 on 20nm. Same way they did with the 680 -> 780. Then what is AMD's response?

I guess I'm just disappointed. I expected AMD to have a major architecture revamp, I expected all these marquee features they've been talking about to come together and bring something that puts them significantly ahead of Nvidia. Not 16% ahead, but 50-60% ahead. The last AMD card I owned was a 4870x2, I haven't found a reason to buy any of their cards since then. They need to give me a good reason to come back.

7. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    You may be on the wrong site if that doesn't excite you.

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    I hope it is! It's AMD's next high end card, it should be!

9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Well this article from Wccf states its a 390, but the original article, from Chiphell, when its been translated, says its the midrange 380, so who knows, but the 390 is rumoured to be on 20nm, have HMB etc...., so could it only be 16% faster than the 980 (if this is indeed the 390) ?

Another thing that baffles is, if it is the 390, then why does it need that hybrid cooling of the 295x2 its supposedly going to have, when from this, its hardly much hotter/power hungry than the 980, and less power hungry, and cooler than the 290. :p

10. pbvider

pbvider Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    It excites me so hard right now...

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    It must be the mid-range part. Cant believe AMD would come out with a top card with only marginal performance over 980.

12. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    Okay. Now you're getting too excited. Try and find a mid-point.

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I think it is, as thats what ChipHell say it is, and thats the original source, and as i said above, if it was that much cooler, less power hungry than the 290, i doubt it would need that hybrid cooling.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    If that really is the 380 or 380X, I'll buy....if it's the 390 or 390X, I'll skip it. If a 390 needs a hybrid cooler for that kind of power draw, it's not worth the expense of completely redoing my (simple) water loop to accommodate it.

15. Kyrat

Kyrat Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G
    THX but not need driver problems. :)
    SLI FTW!

16. pbvider

pbvider Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Or maybe the chart is just ...fake!It`s really not that hard to fake a chart.
    Either way none of this matters if u don`t have a gsync/freesync monitor.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    We must be reading different driver threads..... NVidia seems to be getting quite a few complaints about drivers lately.

It's extremely easy to fake charts. It's also easy to cherry pick benchmark results. There's plenty of people on this forum that do it regularly.

If it didn't matter.....we wouldn't see people making such a big deal about their high-end cards.

18. HunnoPT

HunnoPT Member

GPU:
    Tri-X OC 290 CF 4GB+4GB
    YES because having a 1300d card is what we all want..not!

The announcement from AMD of the R9 3xx series being worked on is hardly a surprising turn of events. The R9 380X(4GB) (based on the Pirate Islands architecture) , wich i beliece is the card we see on th chart here was made to compete with 980 and clearly it does , and the R9 390X(8GB) is next – and based on Bermuda. You can expect the GPU to be targeting both the 980 Ti(8GB) and the Titan X(12GB) . Theres also the R9 370x(2GB) targeting to compete with the GTX960(2GB).

OFC this is all rumours, and theres still a long time until we see the cards in the market, at least February . The fact is i never ,ever,ever seen Nvidia having better price performance than AMD until now, with the 970&980.
    But i also dont believe it will remain like that for long.
    And the bónus is : Despite the GPU using 20 nm, it’s all but confirmed it will use the so called “Hydra” cooling solution. This is the hybrid cooler was developed by Asetek. :nerd:

19. Dr.Puschkin

Dr.Puschkin Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLi
    I won't be buying TitanXYZ, I guarantee it. Not buying this either.

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    You sure? You payed 2,000$ for your Titans why not get them again? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.