1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD’s Radeon R9 390X ES Performance Numbers Leaked - Faster than Geforce 980

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    Guys, they're just graphic cards.

2. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    I'm not making stupit lie's like Nvidia focus group, its the same thing, if you think i'm a fanboy. :)

3. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
  4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Also I feel that the 390x would have to have the same if not close to the same OCing potential as the GTX 980 or even surpass it. I feel that is one of the primary keys If I were deciding which one to get. Also another thing would be if not the 390x would be more energy efficient as in using less wattage as the 980 and the 290x.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Seriously? Well, I'm actually surprised to made it to page 9.

Lets get back on topic please.

6. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 / Many others
    I'd expect it to too, I'd also expect it to cost a lot more for it too. Think its kind of stating the obvious tbh not sure why this thread has turned in to this because of this comment.

Looking forward to the release of both the 300series and GM200, I want to upgrade next year from my 7970CF and need more performance from next gen to help warrant it. Want to do a complete build based around Windows 10 and probably a 5770K Broadwell if we get them. Also want single GPU now, so need beastly performance from a single card ;)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  7. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Fighting over a freaking rumor? Totally frontpage news material.
    / sarcasm

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Surprised this thread hasn't been closed yet.....

9. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Clearly ... 9 pages of non senses whatever is the side.

10. Bleib

Bleib Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    There is always more talk about these high-end cards than there is actual purchasing. Really, the fanboy brand-wars are not really that interesting. :wanker:

11. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    The fact we're having this thread in November instead of February next year is a good thing, though.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    They are arguing which card is better, either the 980 or a vaporware product with no benches or confirmed specs. Can't get much dumber than that.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Dont worry. We'll make another thread in February. :D

14. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
  15. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    here is another graph, just as reliable as the first leak.

Please take it with a grain of salt.

[​IMG]

16. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 TRIO
    nice looking potato wonder if it overclocks I bet it has some nice chips inside

17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Club 3D Card, the KING Edward. :p

18. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    Obvious news is obvious:

Hey guys the competitor his next upcoming card is going to be X % faster!!!

It's an endless cycle folks, a boring one even compared to the performance jumps we used to have back in the old days.

19. HunnoPT

HunnoPT Member

GPU:
    Tri-X OC 290 CF 4GB+4GB
    His card ?! 980 G1 / 100% fanboy , 101% stu** :) from the moment you start to speak about a 10 year problem (amd drivers) and your card is a gtx 980 your point is.:puke2:

A recent presentation of the AMD and SK Hynix co-developed 3D stacked High Bandwidth Memory standard HBM

HBM 3D Stacked Memory is up to 9X Faster Than GDDR5 – Coming With AMD Pirate Islands R9 300 Series

HBM will allegedly make its way to AMD’s next generation of Pirate Islands GPUs starting early next year. With the introduction of the R9 380X powered by the Fiji GPU core and competing against the GTX 980. Also the R9 390X flagship powered by the Bermuda GPU which will be competing against the Titan 2 / GTX 980 Ti.

Nvidia will be using 3D stacked memory on its GPUs starting with Pascal in 2016, a full year after AMD. Volta was Nvidia’s scheduled GPU for 2015 that was supposed to use the Hybrid Memory Cube or HMC for short which was s 3D stacked memory technology competing with HBM. However after HMC’s development fell behind the roadmap it put a lot of pressure on Nvidia to look for an alternative technology, which they did.

What’s painfully ironic however is that Nvidia ended up using the AMD and SK Hynix co-developed HBM with Pascal. Which the company confirmed earlier this year. Nvidia very rarely uses a technology developed by their competition if ever.
    AMD bet on HBM early on, while Nvidia bet on the competing HMC standard. It seems AMD bet on the right technology and they stand to gain an entire year’s worth of exclusive access to the technology. Nvidia will simply have to make due with GDDR5 for 2015.

According to the official specifications of HBM. A single Gigabyte HBM stack clocked at 1Ghz/1Gbps provides 128GB/s of bandwidth. Due to the intriguing facets of how this memory architecture behaves, the increments of bandwidth are additive with each subsequent HBM module. With four HBM stacks for a total of 4GB you’re looking at 512GB/s of total bandwidth.

According to the database listing the GPU will feature 64 GCN CUs/Compute Units. For a total of a whopping 4096 GCN cores. The GPU will also feature 4GB of 3D stacked High Bandwidth Memory / HBM modules clocked at 1.25Ghz.

Which should drive overall bandwidth up by 25% to 640GB/s. That’s almost three times the memory bandwidth available to the GTX 980 which is 224GB/s. And double that of the R9 290X which is 320GB/s. Almost double the 336GB/s data rate of the GTX 780 Ti as well. The R9 390X has by far the greatest amount of memory bandwidth we’ve seen on any graphics card to date.

At 4096 stream processors and 640GB/S we’re looking at a 45% increase in SPs over Hawaii (R9 290X) and a more impressive doubling in memory bandwidth.

2015 seems to be the year the "cat-mouse" game switch..but we will wait to see either way, its looking good.

20. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Also another question is will the new AMD architecture will use less wattage than the previous architecture (the 290x) and the gtx 980? I feel that having an energy efficient card is something AMD needs.

And will this new stack VRAm technology will work like this in Crossfire if you have 2 4gb cards you will have a pool of 8gb Vram

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.