Amazon.co.uk third party sellers - Experiences, reliability, etc

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by vidra, Jun 8, 2011.

1. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Hi. I have a question for UK based Gurus. How reliable do you think third party sellers on Amazon.co.uk are? Have you had any experiences, positive or negative that you'd care to share?

The thing is that I'm seriously considering buying a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate from Amazon.co.uk because some of the prices seem very decent. Now, I've heard it said that if a deal sounds too good to be true, it usually is. However, if any of you fellas had any experience in buying stuff from 3rd party sellers and would recommend it, I'd be less reluctant to take the plunge and buy.

Here's a screenshot to illustrate what I'm talking about:
    [​IMG]

If you have any better deals you can suggest, please do so, but bear in mind that Ebay is out of the question because PayPal doesn't work for Serbia.

Thanks

2. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Completely depends on the seller so our feedback won't do much good. I've only had one problem, specifically bought a cable based on the picture orver cheaper ones, it was completely different, they said I could return it but I couldn't be bothered, apart from that it's fine and I think amazon keep them on a fairly tight leash.

If you know a student (any age or their parents) or have an .ac.uk email you can get Win 7 for under £40 from software4students....

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    upgrade version only for that afair

anyway, it's fine, but as with ebay, I wouldn't go with any 0 rating seller

4. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1070 SuperJetstream
    I've bought lots from the marketplace but nothing very expensive, just make sure what they're offering is the actual thing you want, if you check the windows 7 home premium full version's marketplace half of them are oems or only one of the versions 32 or 64.

5. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Thanks all of you for the info! I'll consider my options and keep my eyes wide open!

@dcx_badass
    Unfortunately I know very few people from the UK but I'll ask them if they know any students! So, how exactly does this student scheme work? You get a key and then download Win7, or a retail/oem DVD? The thing is that I'll be visiting the UK soon and I wanted to grab a copy of Win7 at a reasonable price.

6. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    I never buy at sellers that have under 100 ratings, anything lower is self-made or by friends of the seller.

7. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Makes sense. Unfortunately, any seller with over 100 ratings is selling the product at or above the full retail price, so I might as well order it from Amazon itself.

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    You get a key, download it, burn it.

It's an upgrade only copy though.

9. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    I see. That means I'd have to have XP or Vista, right?

10. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Buying 3rd party is fine, although I have noticed that sometimes Amazon will fulfill some of these orders (which is nice for me because then I get the order sooner).

11. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Use a lot of them (dozens perhaps) and never had an issue. I don't know how it works, but either Amazon run a tight ship, or I just get lucky.