Amazing Monitor!

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by moab600, Jun 16, 2014.

1. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    Friend :) and @guys:

VERY IMPORTANT: But less motion blur does NOT belongs faster response time but yes faster refresh rate and/or lower persistence strobe backlights or flicker - more info

Can you understand well? ;)

2. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    I have an ... I think 6 year old.. LG L245WP-BW.
    That's a 24" IPS with known HDMI connection problem.
    16:10, 1920x1200, CCFL. Old school :) Costed me around €700 back then. Heavy and cumbersome compared to modern LED screens. Not energy efficient.
    Need to hack the register every time I update my drivers.
    It rocks for now, even is mine has an image burned into the screen :).

Why does it rock?
    It's quite good quality and for now I don't really think I'm missing out. It ages very well.
    Now when there are 23"-24" LED Gsync 16:10 ( or even 21:9 ? ) IPS or better pannels available I'll get me one.
    But thats not the case, or at lease there isn't much choice. I'll get me a calibrator as well then. But for now I'm looking at Oculus Rift for the new shizzle. ;)

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ricardonuno,

Not interested about that anymore sorry, all I see now is I have faster reaction and that's good enough for me.
    I won't change this LCD anytime soon, but when I do idk 2-3 yrs I will sure get at least 120hz 8bit panel, nothing TN lol :)

4. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    TN panels suck period! I have a 1080p HP IPS monitor that is incredible. The colors rival my 60ST50 Panny Plasma. Those matte screens just kill colors and look terrible.. Never liked them. The worst looking IPS will look better than the best TN panel..

5. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Not true, not always. TN are not always horrible, look at my monitor S23A700D it uses one of the best, if not the best TN panel and it looks astonishing, better than lot of IPS i've seen

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Only the problem with tn is you'll never get uniformly good color/gamma throughout the screen. No matter how good a tn panel you have. Also, I'm yet to see a tn panel that can get anywhere near half decent ips/pls panels.

7. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    That is true to most TN, however u should personally see the S23A700D this monitor is so awesome and it's TN panel.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    lol, and I think you should see a decent korean. your mind would boggle. Seriously, look into them, they're stunning.

9. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    I will if u will, it seems u never seen an awesome TN panel cause they can be awesome, did we closed a deal :D

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I have seen top TN panels.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Bollocks - I have 3 displays, incl highly rated IPS and PLS displays and they are good, no question about it. But also have a premium TN which looks more impressive in games/movies, is very color accurate and measures accordingly in reviews. Only drawback is viewing angles, but even there, the IPS display has 'IPS glow' which is just as annoying as the off angle color shifts of the TN (the PLS is best in this area).

The IPS/PLS displays are definitely more accurate and suitable for those whose requirements or work as such (photo editing, color precision tasks, etc). But for movies/gaming, my TN walks all over them. I would have kept the TN if not for the 1080p res. It still remains the unit that gets the most 'wows' and 'I need to get one' sort of remarks from my friends.

Maybe I should note that not all TNs are created equal and perhaps even some 'premium' ones still look like sh!te, but the s27a950d defies all preconceptions in this regard, and I can understand moabs view on this as his display is from the same model line-up as mine.

Also seen quite a few folks out there ditching their IPS for Sammys 4k TN units lately, and most are impressed. People need to get over parroting old, tired forum talk that "all TNs are bad, no matter what" sort of drivel and recognize that technology is always adapting and improving. And what may have been the case 5 years ago, may no longer apply today in certain cases. Get an ultra rich multi-billion dollar company to throw R&D money on TN tech and be prepared to be stunned with what they can come up with. Unfortunately cost goes up with such endeavors and it may not be feasible to market such products other than for niche applications (gaming). Better to just keep cost down and just sell IPS/PLS and their variants into the larger markets that require it. Still glad to see Samsung not holding back in TN development.

12. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Exactly, i've seen less than impressive IPS and PLS monitor and i've seen good. i've seen horrible TN monitors, but some of them are way better than any IPS PLS for gaming movies 3D, S23A700D and the later on the same production line, is the top TN monitors i've ever seen, my friend new monitor BenQ XL2420Z looks very good as well.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I've had to go through three Qnix displays to get one that was decent (No uniformity issues, no dead pixels) @ 96Hz and honestly the contrast is still subpar compared to my U2410 or my HZ24W.

I agree that IPS obviously offers better image quality in most cases but high end TN is going to look well off enough to be usable. My calibrated 2420T next to my calibrated Qnix is not that large of a difference. The colors are definitely more vivid and lively on the Qnix but it's hardly significant.

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    double

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    My Overlord Tempest goes to 120hz on auto, has no dead or stuck pixels. Its perfect. I also had a U2410 and borrowed my dads U2710 and the tempest beats them both from what ive seen. I would agree that a decent TN there is minimal difference although id still run with the IPS panel tbh.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014

16. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    A word of vet is a word :D but yeah Samsung S2XXXXX series use top notch TN, this isn't ur regular type TN, it very very good.

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Actually Samsung model nos can be confusing. The S2xxxxx also includes some crappy budget TNs as well as Samsungs flagship PLS models. The only quality TNs they made were the glossy 120hz ones like yours and mine.

18. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Yep that models i meant not the whole series.

19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    TBH apart from viewing angles and slight improvement in picture clarity a decent TN and IPS are very similar if im honest. Viewing angles are aload of bollocks anyhow. Who plays games sitting at a 80 degree angle to the monitor, nobody tbh.:)

20. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Do you use a hardware calibration device?