AM4 Motherboards appearing already in online stores for pre-order with price and ETA!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by chispy, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Gonna play devils advocate here. If you look at the current AMD line up, FM2 is 1151 and AM3+ is 2011 v3. When the new Zen based APU's come out they will not be on AM4 AFAIK.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Nope. In fact AM4 already has APU support, and it's not even Zen. Everything will be in a single platform and that's AM4.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I don't see this as a good thing. I was hoping there would be no "backwards compatibility" with AM4. Oh well. I hope my concerns are unfounded.

X370 will not support iGPU, will it?

4. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There isn't any. It's the new APUs that support the platform, not the other way around.

5. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    I did compare one of best Asus Z270 mobos with this Asus X370 and Z270 was about $60 cheaper and with more stuff on it.

6. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    and that's the fastest it will ever be, going with AMD means you can go for twice the cores later on

from the looks of it, this seems like a perfect strategy, a platform between lga1151 and 2011-3, intel's offerings will feel too compromised; either get the average platform or the luxury platform. that will probably force them to make their mainstream platform the new budget option, and put the current luxury x99 against amd

7. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I hope they fix the throttling on this platform with their APU tdp wall

8. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Not trying to be a smart-ass here just saying those prices are a little high for a Amd product.Our High-end segment is soooo damm small that it does not even matter what we think. Lets see what happens finally its almost time for release.

9. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    128.70$ AUS (~98USD) for an entry level motherboard is actually pretty bad, it's even slightly pricier than an equivalent Intel MB.

10. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Australian pricing is typically allot higher than US pricing for PC components, even without the currency exchange factored in. I would expect prices on Newegg to bit a little bit less than here. Hopefully availability is better then last summer with the GTX 1080 fiasco. :p

11. ChicagoDave

ChicagoDave Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 / EVGA 970
    Exactly - prices in Australia are always much higher than elsewhere, even after factoring in exchange rates and taxes. They get the short end of the stick on just about any product not manufactured there. So really no one should be trying to use AU prices as a guide for the rest of the world, since we don't know what the "special AU tax" is on these.

12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That's what I get too. The platform seems to be something between 115x and 2011. Makes total sense really.

I don't believe they'll hold, but they look fine to me. Don't forget that you get more PCIe lanes than the average socket 115x motherboard.

B350 is not entry level, it's more like middle/high level. The entry level chipset is the A320 and there is even a lower one, A300.

13. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    im waiting an AM4 "Krait Edtion" or i'll wait Up to 2nd gen Zen, my FX8320E is enought for my actual card/monitor resolution, im thinking upgrade to RX470 and 1080p FreeSync monitor but i need $270~280 if i don't sell my actual card (im thinking to sell It $85~95)

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Australia doesn't have VAT, it's 10 percent GST. To get back to base price, just divide by 11 and subtract that from the original price. The exchange rate is currently roughtly 77 cents AUS to USD.

So, AUS$245.85/11 * 0.77
    Equivalency price without GST is (rounded down to the nearest 5 cent value) US$172.

15. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    I hope for AMDs part they have enough stock for the mass market, as I can see people literally waiting for that second that stock hits the online retailers. This will be great times for AMD.

16. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    But........ Can you put an octa-core on it?

:bigsmile: I bet your head is going :micro: trying to shed light on the benefit.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  17. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    There was a time when people would swear that AMD 1060T must be faster than intel's 4 core CPUs because 6 cores is 2 more cores than intel offered (in that middle segment)...then AMD made Buldozer, that people thought is the definite win for the AMD. Then AMD made 6 cores and 8 cores that you can buy today, they are all slower than intels 5 year old 4 core sandy...

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    From what I recall, the 1060T was still pretty competitive against the first couple generations of i5s. It was worse clock-per-clock, but not by a lot. At the time, 4 cores was more practical than 6 since there wasn't really anything that could take advantage of 6.

As for Bulldozer, that was more of a marketing issue. The "8-cores" were really more like quad cores that could perform 2 instructions per core in parallel. This is why, ignoring IPC, Bulldozer was better at multi-threaded tasks but much worse at single-threaded tasks.

What I do agree with is that more cores isn't always better, and even if the IPC for Ryzen is better than Broadwell-E, I don't think most people are going to notice any performance difference between the 6 and 8 core models in the vast majority of commercial applications.

19. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    No, there wasn't, because Bulldozer sucked in benchmarks. I don't know what people you refer too, but most of the people I knew went Intel for very good reason.

Who knows, they might go AMD now. :infinity:

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Just remember people bought Netburst.