AM4 Mobo.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Smokey25, Mar 28, 2024.

1. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    4070 RTX Asus OC
    What is the best AM4 mobo there is around the price of 125 - 175euro ?
    I can make a very long post but I wanna keep it short. I currently have an Msi tomahawk b450,and ever since I can remember ive had issues with this thing. I currently have some memory issue going on and I dont wanna get in too much details cus it will get boring. This mobo just seems fubar since ive bought it. The reason I dont wanna go am5 yet is that im still on a Ryzen 5600x that works fine for what I do. The new mobo does need to have support for an Nvme slot and it does need to fully support 32gb Dual channel mode at 3600mhz.

Thanks in advance,if u need more info please ask.

tunejunky likes this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Devil RX 6900 XTU
    You can get something like Aorus Elite X570 for 170€ or Aorus X570 Pro for 190€. I think there are B550 version of the same ones even cheaper.

I used Gigabyte X570 board and it was pretty good. Liked the bios better than a MSI.

Smokey25 and tunejunky like this.
  3. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    4070 RTX Asus OC
    What about the
    Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS ?

Sorry for the big letters i cant make it small somehow lol.

https://www.asus.com/nl/motherboards-components/motherboards/tuf-gaming/tuf-gaming-b550-plus/

I just looked this up and its only 125e where im at. I do remember my previous Asus mobo being solid as a rock compared to this msi piece of S*.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Devil RX 6900 XTU
    Asus is solid im currently on Asus B650 board and it does its job well.

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I use an MSI B550-A Pro. It's pretty solid. Good VRMs, enough phases to run any AM4 CPU (but not for serious OCing,) and doesn't cost much. And MSI is always releasing new BIOS versions when there's new AMD AGESA releases. What's not to like? Never had any problems with it.

Note though that it only has two M.2 slots. First one is PCIe 4 and goes directly to CPU, second one is PCIe 3 and goes to the chipset. Fine with me, but you might want more than that.

6. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    that is a very solid mobo and built TUF'er than most ;)

my only issue with Asus mobos is the frankly awful Armoury Crate software. i'm not a hater... using a ROG KB & monitor as i write this.
    for me it's so bad it makes Corsair iCue rgb software look straightforward and easy (btw...boycotting Corsair iCue cuz it sucks)

but if you can get past using the Armoury Crate and do all of your fan curves in the bios the only thing you need it for is rgb
    then this is really one of the best in class mobos - and a bargain for the construction quality

Smokey25 likes this.
  7. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I have the wifi version of this board, the board itself is decent, but the bios is BUGGY and the soc vrm is weak, so if you intend to do any overclocking beyond enabling xmp i would avoid it.

as for recommendations, I've heard good things about the gigabyte b550 boards.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
  8. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    4070 RTX Asus OC
    Thanks for the replies. I wont be doing any overclocking,i let PBO do it all. I will be enabling XMP profile however.

@tunejunky, I wont be using any RGB in my system and I will only use bios to set my cpu fancurve, i have no need for any software you mentioned. I have a fancontroller in my pc to control my other fans. Is it recommended to install its latest Bios version straight away ?

Just to be sure, this mobo will handle 32gb at 3600mhz with no issues ?

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Devil RX 6900 XTU
    Im sure its enough. Thing is thst imc is on the cpu so if you can run 3600mhz on the one board youd surely able to run on another.

Smokey25 likes this.
  10. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    yes, please update any bios before installing cpu. your RAM is fine
    you're golden since you use bios you can avoid the frustrations of Armoury Crate. sad about that really since the original idea was to have a widget where going into the bios wasn't necessary...then the bloatware arrived

Smokey25 likes this.

11. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    4070 RTX Asus OC
    Alright thanks for the help ! One more question, Im on Win 11 with secureboot and TPM etc enabled. How will this affect me installing a new mobo ? Will I have to reinstall windows ?

Edit for the mods, Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section btw, I should have put this in the motherboard section,so feel free to place it there if possible.

12. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    a small tip, if you do get this board, avoid using the asus pbo menu , its been broken for a while, if you use the amd overclocking menu every thing mostly works.

tunejunky and Smokey25 like this.
  13. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    4070 RTX Asus OC
    Could you eloborate on that please ? Are you talking about the bios settings ? I saw they had a new bios update last month aswell. Is it related to a certain bios version ?

14. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    4070 RTX Asus OC
    How would the Gigabyte b550 you mentioned compare to the Asus tuf b550 plus ?

I just want the most stable board for this price. What are the ups and downs between the two ?

And how is the Bios buggy,do you get crashes or which kind of issues do you get ? And what does it mean when you say the soc vrm is weak ?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
  15. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    talking about the bios, basically at some point between bioses with agesa 1.1.9.0 and 1.2.0.7 the Asus pbo menu in the AI tweaker tab stopped working , asus has yet to fix it, Guessing they probably won't ever fix it. bios versions from this point forward are mainly security patches. when I bought the board it worked, but I noticed a year and half ago that the boost behaviour wasn't correct , and went about fixing it, and found that it only applied correctly if using the amd overclocking menu (located under the advanced tab).

the soc being weak is mainly applicable to APUs, i have a 5600g and The voltage droops alot underload which effects the stability of the integrated graphics and the infinity fabric to an extent when overclocking, This isn't really an issue if you are using a dedicated gpu and are not pursuing high memory overclocks.

the board is stable otherwise, most of the issues I have encountered other than that, have to do with memory settings/training and IGPU settings ,and that is mostly my fault since I'm using a odd memory configuration (mixed dimms ) and pushing it a bit .

the gigabyte boards from what I have read tend to be a bit better on the memory overclocking front ( easier to get high speeds working ect), and I have noticed they don't get bios updates as frequently, but other I don't think there is a big difference between the two especially since you're only using pbo and xmp, unfortunately i don't actually own a gigabyte b550 board , so I can't provide more information that.

16. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    4070 RTX Asus OC
    Thanks for the info, so if I would choose between the two,which would you recommend based on stability ?

17. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    if you're solely looking at stability, Once the asus board is setup ( first boot/ set appropriate settings ect), its probably going to be basically the same,though the gigabyte ones should have less issues with memory potentially and less bios ui bugs, so I would tend to side with the gigabyte boards,

I was going to say that the asus board had a minor advantage due to newer agesa, but it looks like gigabyte released new bioses in the last few days with newer agesa, so they are basically the same otherwise.

18. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    4070 RTX Asus OC
    Alright thanks alot for all the info,very helpful. I think im going for the Asus Mobo. Mainly because I used to have a crosshair formula V years ago and that's still one of the best mobos ive ever owned, I also have an Asus monitor and im not really familair with gigabyte,eventhough it might be a fine mobo I think im going Asus. Anyways,thanks again !

Undying likes this.
  19. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    4070 RTX Asus OC
    Small update. Got the new board,Asus tuf B550 Plus. The installation went flawless. The board instantly detected my 2x 16gb corsair mem with no issue. Enabling xmp went fine aswell,it also instantly recognized my Ryzen 5600x without having to do a bios flash ( i did install the latest version after it though).

The bios also has so much more options to fiddle with as compared to my msi b450, still testing certain settings enabled vs disabled,settings like L1/L2 stream hw prefetcher etc,things that are all new to me.

Anyway,so far its been very stable. It also has 2.5ghz ethernet ( My router also supports this, and I have a cat7 cable aswell ) So far im very happy !:)

Thanks again for the help and explaining the differences between the boards.

20. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

you bought the beefiest B550 and withh AMD keeping AM4 alive you're set for awhile

1 thing keep Armoury Crate updated as you're going to see a ton of updates on Asus software and you'll have to check again after 1st raft of updates. gpu tweak is a useful utility in their suite

Conan The Barbarian likes this.