Am I the only one that doesn't like Oblivion?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Jae-So, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Played this on 360 back in 2006 thought it was pretty good, but only played about 3 hours, now after finishing DAO, I started Oblivion from the beginning and 90 mins in I'm just utterly bored!

I have no motivation to play this game, even with the possibility of using the OOO mod (already using some mods). I think I'll give this a miss and just go straight to Skyrim wen that's out (after I finish DA2, the Witcher, ME3 etc).

Maybe I just don't like Bethseda games as I didn't really like Fallout 3 that much either

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  2. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saffire AMD R9 285
    Yes.

3. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    ^ lol

4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Nah, I put about 20 hours into it on PC before I got bored with it. Its just not story driven enough for me.

5. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    Some folks just require more structure I guess? Or was it the fantasy setting?

I'm somewhere in the middle though when it comes to sand box games, as I love the whole TES series and even X2/X3 or Mount & Blade, but then I get bored in Minecraft for instance. I did hate FO3 though, but more because trying to apply a "Bethesda" type game to a modern game with guns just doesn't work, or at least not the way they did it. Point being, there isn't much in the way of creating separate unique characters. You pretty much have to use guns.

As a separate note, I hate where rpg's have been headed lately, mainly anything to do with EA or Bioware.

For the love of God, stop simplifying everything so much and taking any learning curve or difficulty out of games!!! We want more than a super easy cinematic experience!!! Or at least I do :nerd:

6. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Well yeh I prefer story driven games, why I absolutely love Mass Effect 2, but I dunno, Oblivion just seemed kinda bland and samey and the combat didn't really do it for me, if combat is gonna be real time, I wanna be able todo some cool stuff....... can't really explain, I was just like meh this is boring

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Oblivion.... well, it was fun when I first started it. But fun quickly turned into tedium, which fell into boredom.
    The leveling system in the game is completely borked and kills almost any challenge once you hit higher levels. Having everything level along with you was a horribly stupid move. And the leveling system itself was just.... ugh.
    I would rather gain experience for doing quests and missions instead of gaining running experience because I ran somewhere.

Also, the main quest was incredibly short, boring... and only worth finishing so you wouldn't have those stupid oblivion gates popping up all over the place.

8. faded

faded Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 OC
    I can't stand Oblivion. One of the most boring games I've ever played.

9. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Combat is incredibly boring, and the enemy AI isn't the smartest around.

I'd give it a 6/10, main quest is very short and with side quests you end up visiting the same environments over and over again.

Oblivion only gives the illusion that it's a huge open environment, but it ends up being really small, all locations get old really fast imo.

10. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 1GB 5850@840/1140
    phew glad im not the only one :3eyes:

i thought the first 1hr was ace and i was really looking forward to leaving the dungeon and then it kind of tapered off a bit, i tried really hard to get a grasp on what was happening but i wasnt really sold on it all.

much prefer a bit of hand holding so i can run away from the story when i want and then come back and easily pick it up again later :nerd:

11. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    I can't stand it either, and that's coming from a rather big Morrowind fan. They just simplified it too much, and IMO, went for quantity over quality. Not to mention the leveled enemies make the entire character development process rather pointless.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Oblivion is average at best, Morrowind and Daggerfall are so much better!

13. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I don't like it either but I did play about 200 hours worth...When I quit a job back then, I was looking for something to really kill some time and that was it apparently. Eventually I started to hate it, but I kept playing...

14. dshramek

dshramek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    I hated it.
    I also didn't like Fallout3 or STALKER.
    I just got bored with all the repetitive quests.

You know what game I did love? Dark Messiah of Might & Magic.

15. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    That is an amazing game. I highly recommend it to everyone that has even a shred of awesomeness :p

16. bettisfan

bettisfan Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 650 TI boost
    tried it several times and could not get into it at all

17. PR-0927

PR-0927 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+
    I have no interest in the weird fairytale/medieval/dragon-age/knights games. Those bore the hell out of me. I suppose I'd like RPGs if they strayed from those genres more. Only RPGs I've liked are KotOR, ME, and ME2. All sci-fi. And ME/ME2 had a lot of shooter in them (which I love).

My brother and some of my friends like Oblivion. It looks deeply boring to me whenever they play it.

- PR-0927

18. CaliMnTSnaKe

CaliMnTSnaKe Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 260 700/1425
    So many people who don't like oblivion strange, but back when it came out on 360 i must have put in about 40+hours easily i about had all the achievements and really enjoyed the mystic quest.

19. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Oblivion and Fallout3 are boring because if it's presentation. Character animations are stale, combat is boring, camera angle is boring, females are ugly, Khajit have penis, etc haha.

20. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    I wanted to like it but just never happened quit after a few hours I guess it was all the hype sorrounding it