Am I just wasting money or is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by mrcrangle, Aug 5, 2006.

1. mrcrangle

mrcrangle Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 320MB(stock)
    'Evening fellow gurus!

I'm getting twitchy-upgrady at the moment, have a couple of hundred quid swilling around the place looking untidy (not enough, I fear, for a Conroe overhaul job!) and the plummeting price of s939 X2 chips is tempting me towards ditching my Opteron for a dual core CPU and then overclocking the nadgers off it :D. Given my lovely G.Skill memory I would like something I can really up the FSB on. Do any of the higher end X2s have this property (or the deal Optys for that matter)? Would I gain anything other than bragging rights in the pub? Or should I stick with my setup and spend the money on Strongbow? Having some agonising bouts of indecision at the moment, so all comments gratefully received! :D

2. DeatHRattlE

DeatHRattlE Maha Guru

GPU:
    E-VGA 7800GT CO
    My opinion--Waste of money unless you need a dual core for something.

3. ultimate360

ultimate360 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7900GT KO 256MB
    I would stick with the rig that you have right now. :)

4. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    The 3800s are supposed to really overclock well. If you have the money go for it. If you dont want to dont bother. You should be able to get the 3800s up to like 2.4ghz and higher. Wont be much of an improvment over what you've already got though.

5. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

Unless you use multi-threaded applications, your current processor will be faster than a new 3800x2. I'd stick with what you have.

6. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    ditto

7. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Yea rlly not point, maybe get a dual channel kit for 2gb of ram in the time you have to wait for a new system just to satisfy yourself...(And improve RAM heavy games like F.E.A.R, BF2, (2142 as well)., Oblivion...etc

8. mrcrangle

mrcrangle Master Guru

GPU:
    Appreciate the opinions, peeps :D. I'll maybe hang on to see if prices come down to a ridiculously low level before making a decision...

9. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    2 GB kits actually overclock worse than 1 GB if that's what you're considering... 300 MHz was no problem with 512 MB sticks of Samsung TCCD chips, but 1 GB sticks of Samsung UCCC top out at more like 275 MHz.

When replacing CPU and memory you're only saving on the cost of the motherboard, and I think you'd be much better off waiting until Conroe boards are reasonably cheap and going that route instead. You'll end up with CPU and RAM that overclock much better and the Conroes do much better clock-for-clock on top of that.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  10. mrcrangle

mrcrangle Master Guru

GPU:
    Yup, not intending to touch the RAM setup on my system at the moment...it's nice to have sticks that go up as far as the Opty does :D. Suppose I could always scour ebay for another pair to keep them company in there...

11. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    Oh, right, I see what you meant. If you wanted something new to play around with and it wasn't too expensive then perhaps... I just wouldn't expect too much unless you do significant multitasking now. Quake 4 also sees good gains and the next unreal is supposed to as well, however.

12. serious1

serious1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    get yourself another 7900GT:D

13. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    rofl maybe if you got a 2gb kit that sucked, compared to get a 1gb stick that was better. Which makes no sense cause why get 2gb of crappy ram.

14. dune2

dune2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Titan X Aqua
    Wasn't there a minimum level of sense for posts?

It's widely known that overclockabilty is getting worse the more ram is used per pcb. 2x 1 gig ram is only now coming to OC levels where 2x512mb sets have been years ago. And why that would make you roll on the floor laughing, I have no idea! G L knows what he is talking about, you are clearly not!

15. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    I vote leave it alone unless you are going to get 2 1G sticks of ram. Nice rig by the way.

16. BlackFeetNation

BlackFeetNation Master Guru

way off topic mrcrangle... but is there anyway you can take a memory bandwidth screenshot? I am not doubting you but damn thats gotta be way up there O.O with my old setup I got my ram up to 280 1:1 @ 2.5 3-3-6-1t and I only got 7,5xxmb/s also what do you get in aquamark with your card and your 144? highest I could achieve with my card at stock pe bios and at 2.6gh was 91k =\ once again sorry for going off topic -Mark

17. mrcrangle

mrcrangle Master Guru

GPU:
    No problems BFN; will this do you or have I misunderstood? Last AM bench was 97241. Not very adept at attaching images - in fact this is my first go(!) - so I thought I'd include one of the rig as well (and yes I know it should probably be elsewhere on the forums).

I anyone DOES have a suggestion for a highly overclockable 2GB RAM upgrade then I'd be grateful :D Another 7900gt? Now, there's a thought....

18. mrcrangle

mrcrangle Master Guru

GPU:
    ...having said that I've just been playing around, and got 101445 (13693 CPU) at 322FSB (2.9ghz) / DDR580

19. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Another 7900gt would give you the best upgrade, memory will help very little unless your are running certain games that need it like BF2 and FEAR.
    As was mentioned before most 2 gig kits don't overclock as well as some of the 1 gig kits did 275 to 290mhz is about max

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  20. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    Most games NOW only use 1G of memory but look at future games most of which recommend 2G for the best performance. Another 7900 would be a nice upgrade as well but if his system memory is lacking then the extra 7900 will be starved because his CPU is choking. IMO many people make the mistake of upgrading from the top down and not from the bottom up. I see sigs all the time with say a 3200+ (no O/C) 1G of memory and 2 7900GT's in SLI? These are also the people who post 'why is my system so slow' in 3DMark?? threads. If they upgraded their core system 1st and their video sub-system 2nd they wouldn't have a slow machine because you need to have a strong core system to keep a high end video card fed especially in SLI. Also I have had excellent O/Cing experience with 1G sticks of memory almost as high as 512 sticks. These 3200LL Pro are at DDR510 at 2.5-2-3-5 1T at 2.75v right now. Once you get to a certain point say DDR500 there are diminishing returns past that anyway. So why push any further except for bragging right? Never mind, I know that's enough of a reason as I like to be a braggard myself sometimes. LOL

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006