Am I fool for thinking this?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ProfBP, Jun 5, 2010.

1. ProfBP

ProfBP Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 970GTX
    I'm debating on getting an Evga 470. I have a 5850, but I'm running in to an annoying problem with the card. I can't get Vsync to turn off for Direct Draw games, and none of my games have the option to turn Vsync on or off in the game.

So far I'm led to believe that this is an ATI driver issue, and that its been around for a while. If I'd known, I would have gone for a 470 instead of the 5850.

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    This is the reason i will not go ati purely because the drivers are not as good as nvidias.Shame really,as ati cards look quite good.

3. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 SLI
    Do you have vsync set to off in CCC?

4. ProfBP

ProfBP Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 970GTX
    Yup, even tried it with ATi Tray Tools, and tried using the work around in ATI Tray Tools by creating a game profile. Vsync is still forced on even if its selected as off. I do not have the option to turn Vsync on and off in any of the games I run.

5. |WOY|Shotty1993

|WOY|Shotty1993 Banned

GPU:
    POV GTX 470
    What games do you run
    ?

6. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    Which games might that be?

7. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    Are these games you're having problems with ports that are locked at 30 or 60 fps?

Yeah, great idea, let's blame hardware manufacturers for the mistakes and laziness of software (game) developers. Where I live the roads are aweful and the government doesn't care, but I now know who to blame for getting car sick when I have to endure the horror when I step in a car: the tyre manufacturers... it makes just as much sense.

8. ProfBP

ProfBP Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 970GTX
    I'm running Combat Flight Sim 2, and Flight Simulator 2004. I know older then Dinos, but still great games. The Frame rate I'm getting is 59-60, same as my 22' LCD screen refresh. I wouldn't complain, but I know with Vsync on CFS2 runs slower. It's performance is sluggish.

I do like the 5850, but this drive issue I just don't understand.

I wouldn't necessarily complain about this if I didn't know how the game ran on an XP 32 bit system with a E8400 and a 8800GTS 512. I did not have this issue when I ran an X1950XT. Vsync would turn on and off as I wished, but then again this was on XP pro 32bit.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  9. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    similar problems,

currently set to off unless app requires in ccc, this setting does seem to work.

but as you say, most games i use, allow me to turn on/off.

Hope they fix this error soon, been nvidia along time, and to encounter this from ATI was annoying.

Try using d3doverider, this was helping me out alot, seems to work now and again.

Its part of rivatuner, but you can run this separate

10. ProfBP

ProfBP Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 970GTX
    I tried running rivaturner, but W7 doesn't like it. Says that it need's signed drivers. So I didn't get a chance to really play with it.

Just for grins I snapped in my 88GTS/92 and grabbed the latest drivers for it. And I do not have the vsync issue with the older nVidia card. Runs CFS2 will everything maxed (8AF 16QAA) and getting 83-150FPS.

I'll hold on to the 5850, maybe the issue will be fixed, but for now I'm running the tried and true 92 core.

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I cannot choose which road to drive on when i jump into my car when going to a certain destination,no matter how bad the roads are i have to just drive and bare it.

When i comes to my GPU, ati drivers are not that good as nvidia's but that dont mean i have to buy ati does it.I have a choice out of which GPU to buy,i can choose which road i decide to drive down.:)

12. er557

er557 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    If you get this framerate, on these old games, you WILL NOT NOTICE any framerate increase with vsync turned off, as that is already fast enough for your monitor- you will only add tearing which sucks... this is why I run vsync on at all times for all games, even new ones.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I'm always amazed at all the issues that have been "around for a while" with ATI drivers that I've never experienced. Yes, ATI does have performance issues in regards to minimum framerates in some 3D apps. Has anyone stopped to consider that ATI might have intentionally limited framerates in 2D to prevent graphics "issues" from occuring? DirectDraw games don't require high framerates anyway.....it's simple 2D images....

14. ProfBP

ProfBP Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 970GTX
    The main reason I like to have Vsync off is that the game runs smoother then with Vsync on. I really don't care if I'm getting frame rates in the 50s or in the 300s. But it does bug me when my games don't run smoothly when they should, and I have noticed that Vsync effects this.

15. q8_devil

q8_devil Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 295
    edit : sorry wrong thread

16. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 1060 6gb
    thats true for me too. I hate vsync , it never feels smooth as unlocked FPS.

Also it very often affects aiming in shooters.

17. klanjsek

klanjsek Active Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD 5870 900/1250
    weird...i have 5870 and have used rivatuner with d3d overdider without any issues (no problem in regard to not having correct drivers) and it works with every game in w7 (including forcing triple buffering). so u might try to use that.

but u r right - forcing vsync via ccc works only here and there.

18. ProfBP

ProfBP Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 970GTX
    I did you get riva tuner to work? I tried and Windows can back saying that I needed signed drivers for it....

BTW I'm running Windows 7 64bit.

19. klanjsek

klanjsek Active Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD 5870 900/1250
    you have to run d3d overider. i think it is a separate application (look under the rivatuner folder in the start menu). i am on w7 64 bit too.