Aloha from Hawaii - AMD GPU14 Product Showcase Live*

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 25, 2013.

1. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    I just hope that this whole release will help drive down the costs.Am not gonna change for some time anyway, but it's ridiculous to pay a 1000 bucks for top GPU..Nvidia aren't that much better than AMD as Intel are in the CPU world

2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Surely we'll get the specs, pricing and benchies soon, as you can pre-order the BF4 bundle from next week, i don't think many would do that, if they didn't know anything about the graphics card would they ?

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If mantle is AMD/PS4/XBOX1 exclusive I would not care less about this improvement.
    Because when Ageia came I was sold out for it, unfortunately not enough people supported it. What nVidia did with this physical engine is that they turned it into unrealistic particle squirting orgy. This was far from improvement.

I believe MS DX API is pretty bad. And If you look at demo scene (64kB programs doing crazy awesome graphics effects for several minutes with direct calls to gpu) then you will think same.

As AMD helps to do same thing for every developer out there such benefits are true evolution of PC graphics and gaming.
    Such potential even when proprietary at 1st is something I would not dare to bash, because they did not take something good and broke it for profit. They are making true value.

I guess there will be no problem to add nVidia libraries which will do same overrides from nV cards unleashing it's potential in same way.
    But it will take some time (negotiations because development environment is AMDs and nVidia will be always bit behind in implementation of new features into such API = still worth it).

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    If you look closely at the firestrike graph at the top of the 290x, the red starts to fade out, but you can still see the top forming (the curved corners just appearing), which is the 8k mark, so we know its either 8k or above that, as we don't know how high it goes due to the fading out. :p

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

5. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    As someone else mentioned, Mantle is glide-like in terms of simple understanding, but is far different in the fact that it is open and can freely be usable by Nvidia, in fact I would expect them to do so. AMD developed this to be an open standard so that it can be fully adopted by developers and while currently made for Windows (as they worked with DICE on BF4 to get it working) I don't see any reason it can't be brought to SteamOS which I've seen reports that they have been able to speed up games 10-20% on some earlier builds because Windows is inefficient handling some things.

Interesting times in PC gaming right now, that's for sure.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Only AMD said 290X will run bf4 much faster that titan using mantle. Is Nvidia even going to support mantle atm? Is there proof?

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I was never against gpu PhysX because it only ran on Nvidia. I am against it because it really doesn't bring much to the table, most of it is overdone particles at a performance cost. Now mantle bringing a flat performance increase across the board, that would be nice

8. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Why wouldn't they? They use DirectX, this is basically the same thing except it is faster, gives them more speed, versatility, and capability.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ok, AMD specifically said that bf4 will run much faster on 290X via mantle, which makes me think mantle will not be supported on titan in bf4

10. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Mantle just got announced, AMD has been working on it, don't you think it may take more than a few minutes for Nvidia to get their hardware working with it as well?

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah, but what if current Nvidia line up can't support mantle because of the lack of hardware features required? Are you sure nvidia has the spec to run mantle atm? Source? Because even on AMD side, only gcn cards can run mantle.

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I think AMD has to let Nvidia have support for Mantle. This is something they may do, but it may not give Nvidia the same benefit.

13. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Mantle isn't about having hardware features, it is about low level hardware language. All it takes is for Nvidia to get the source code and program a driver to work with it.

14. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Yep if Mantle is about to become a real candidate to beat DX11 then NVIDIA MUST adapt it simply because if they ignore it, and it will be only AMD thing then few vendors will use it since nvidia got most of the market and dx11 is pretty standard... but if mantle is good like they say i hope nvidia can make most of it, after all it can benefit them as DX11 hold back both companies.

15. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    maybe cause there is no point of making old card 5XXX and 6XXX working with mantle, the performance improvement they can gain will be much less than GCN current and hawaii. same as if NVIDIA will embrace it, i see it will be done only and Kepler and forward.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Why won't the hd 6xxx cards work with mantle then? Also, why will the 290x outperform the titan only when running mantle?

17. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Probably because AMD doesn't want to spend time or money making it work for older cards (drivers differ between 6000 and 7000). Would rather put resources towards new cards, because, well that makes the money.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ok, that's probably, so we have no proof.

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Iirc mantle is an API for the GCN architecture so it will not work on 6xxx or nvidia cards.

20. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Of course we have no proof, its been hours since the announcement, we aren't going to know for sure until there is an announcement one way or the other. I'm going off the law of probabilities, aka an educated guess.