Alleged Intel 12th Generation Core Pricing Leaked; i9-12900K to cost 741€

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    CEC would like to have a word with you :D

Appliance Efficiency Regulations - Title 20 (ca.gov)

2. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 5000 / 2080 Ti
    That's too much. Intel still want to place themselves/their brand as the premium option, but you can't ask for the "Apple tax" when you and the competition are on equal footing performance-wise.

3. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    hasn't apple been surpassed by the chinese ?

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Either they are really confident in their performance numbers or they are gouging the consumer for all they can due to the volatile market we have right now. My money is on the latter.

Although with TSMC increasing chip prices and AMD already slowly increasing their own prices already with each generation I can see that Zen3+/Zen4 is going to also be very expensive.

I think its time a lot of us held onto what we already have, prices won't get any better if people keep botting them and people keep giving in and paying over the odds. Let them sit on the shelves or in the closet of a scalper and rot until the market gets into a more "normal" way. See you in 2030 guys! :p

5. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Strix OC
    And you know that how??? Crystal ball or you already tested an alder lake chip???

Please, enough with all them fanboys that are started to pollute this forum - it's true they are small in numbers but very vocal - if you can't make an intelligent, educated post based on a coherent idea better not post it..."this is better, or that is better" - how do you know if something is "BETTER" if you can't compare it with another product because that product IS NOT LAUNCHED yet????

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    GoldenTiger likes this.
  6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    Eh, 3090 is the only RTX 30 card that has been in stock throughout the mining craze. Because they are so stupidly expensive that even miners would hesitate. That being said, even the Asus Strix OC Gundam doesn't cost 3000 euros in my most-expensive-in-the-world home country.

7. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Vision OC 24GB
    you took it too seriously

Airbud, Mineria and Kaarme like this.
  8. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    And a 12900K would wipe the floor with your 5800x, so your comparison is really not in any way equivalent. Intel isn't stupid, and AMD 5000 series have hardly been "cheap" (even at MSRP, a 5950x was still $799, and your 5800x was $449). Expect competitive pricing for performance, and if those prices are real, you can perhaps infer performance targets from those.

I would expect retail prices to be determined very shortly before release though, so I wouldn't expect any of these to have a very strong meaning.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Yeah, pretty sure Intel priced the 12900k according to its performance vs competition (5950x). And that it will trade blows if not beat the 5950x. Will just have to wait and see.

GoldenTiger and mackintosh like this.
  10. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080Ti
    That is my interpretation of this price point as well. I'd be genuinely surprised if it doesn't at least match the 5950X given the price, though I suspect it will prove to be superior.

11. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    460 768Mb
    Ill pay over to not end up in "General Hardware" forum logs, asking "why is my Ryzen stuttering".

GoldenTiger likes this.
  12. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    One of my sources told me 12900k will be $599 at launch.
    If true, sadly that translates to €700 ish in europe with tax and vat.

Honestly I didn't expect them to launch an all cheapo series, prices are more or less the same as previous series.
    And ya, there is no point to compare them to AMD 5k series price/perf wise, at least not yet.
    I also expect the new AMD series to be even more expensive than Intel's, just watch.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  13. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 RTX 2070
    i'm not one to moan about price if there is value.
    i have been a shareholder in both Intel and AMD for over twenty years.
    and i've held Intel up to their previous standards. whether they regress or progress i've played it down the line. when AMD came out with Zen i doubled down share-wise, i never could do that with my Intel shares cuz they were too expensive lol

right now Intel gen 12 is not the value of the equivalent AMD. real cores are real cores in a desktop environment and when you have more of those you have more logical threads too.
    to have a six core (essentially) competing with a 16 core and it requires more power, gives more heat and needs the same VRM is not a value.

don't get me wrong, i'm really happy Intel's finally in volume production but in Cold, Hard Reality 12th gen is a place keeper for desktop.
    i'm really excited about the Mobile 12th gen tho' i want to see if it can go head to head with my M1 Macbook. i will be in a pickle when ryzen 4 mobile comes out lol.
    the OEM systems will sell well for desktop like they typically do.

14. KingK76

KingK76 Member Guru

GPU:
    Pascal Titan X Under H2O
    So the benchmarks I have seen so far put the 12900K at 26% faster in single core performance and 11% in Multi-threaded over the 5950x... I don't care about "efficient" but I do care about performance and it looks like Intel are taking their seat back at the head of the table... So how exactly is the 5950x "better" if it's outperformed by the 12900K???? And that is better performance at the SAME PRICE!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2021
    GoldenTiger likes this.
  15. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT 16GB
    3900x is only 2 years old. So not really comparable even though what you paid is kick ass. I paid $299 for my 5600x, but it is fast as hell.

He is talking about cpus like the i7 980x, was $1000 in 2010.
    Even a X5650 6 core xeon was $1000 in 2010.
    3930k was $564
    i7-6950X was $1723!
    6900k was $1089
    7820x was finally a good price, $599

Airbud and Fediuld like this.

16. Tom Sunday

Tom Sunday Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 790i Ultra
    For me...it's not about the price. It's all about the performance. If Intel gives me the satisfaction, I will gladly pay $1000 for running a Alder Lake CPU and a corresponding premium MB, etc. October cannot come fast enough for a real show and tell. Just like the 4th quarter "earnings call" from Intel this coming January.

17. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE

To add on Agonist above,

Do not forget Intel monopoly at it's best back then
    4960X (6 core) - $1060
    3970X (6 core) - $1059

And came the 1800X & 1920X and nuked the Intel exuberant pricing.

tunejunky and Solfaur like this.
  18. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    bruh, idk what tests you saw, but those numbers are pretty high. Anyways, it's DEFINETLY not 10% faster "overall", and why you buy a low next gen CPU when you can just wait Zen4 or 3dCache Ryzen which will destroy intels next gen in any possible way. It's not fanboyism, it's getting the better choice for the consumer lol. Between the two, you seem more like a fanboy if we talk about that.

19. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    Twitter benchmarks some dude created in Photoshop months before the release of the product aren't the epitome of credibility.

Hopefully Intel 12th gen will beat AMD 5000 series because that's the kind of development and progress the CPU market needs. After that Ryzen 6000 will need to beat Alder Lake. And so forth. Intel also needs to reenter the HEDT market again at some point to create an alternative for Threadripper.

Undying, sykozis and tunejunky like this.
  20. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080Ti
    The price suggests this is a part that will compete directly with the 5950X or its immediate refresh if there is one. All the leaks aside, this is the best confirmation we have that Intel is confident it will outdo the AMD part. That said, there is no doubt in my mind that if the 12900K were dramatically better than the 5950X, it would have been priced accordingly. Intel is nowhere near being in a position that would require them to compete on price, if they thought they had a significantly better CPU. I think enthusiasts are prone to losing perspective. Despite AMD's recent gains, Intel is still very much the Chipzilla we love, or hate, or love to hate and hate to love. A year or two of mediocre products does nothing to their bottom line.