All things about Cache

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by RyuzakiL, Sep 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. RyuzakiL

RyuzakiL Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX-1070
    Hi All, I search for every corners of the internet and I haven't encounter someone to use these combination on their system:

Windows Cache + Samsung Rapid Mode + Diskeeper IntelliMemory Caching Tech on a 32gb @ 3200mhz DDR4 ram kit (2x16gb).

Just wondering if it's safe to use that combination as it uses about 32% after a fresh reboot of the system (I turned off the fast startup rubbish of Windows 10).

Is there any benefit of using these or am I wasting my Ram over to this cache thing? By the way, I'm using my machine for gaming and multimedia only.

Thank you in advance for those who can shed some light regarding this.

2. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    Yes, big benefit......

Since the memory is being used to cache, you are limited as to how much data can be cached on the memory. Note also that caching operating system files doesn't mean improving boot performance.
    ------------------------------------------------
    It uses only IDLE available RAM (so 32 GB RAM OK)
    ------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  3. RyuzakiL

RyuzakiL Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX-1070
    Thanks Master :)

In that case I'll keep this setup :)

zimzoid likes this.
  4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I am curious why do you call him "Master"? Do you know Caesar`s level of expertise or you would use this word for any first reply?
    :cool:

PS I would never use 2 different 3rd party caching apps simultaneously. Don`t you think they will do the same things or (worse) battle with each other?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019

5. RyuzakiL

RyuzakiL Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX-1070
    We'll he's the only person who dare share his knowledge regarding the subject matter. But if you so inclined to share your wisdom and want to be called "Master" as well, then so be it XD

Also, which do you prefer when it comes to these two caching software? Is Diskeeper's implementation superior to Samsung's RAPID mode?

Caesar and airbud7 like this.
  6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I have never been interested in 3rd party caching software. I completely do not need these for my daily PC usage (neither at home nor at work).
    Theoretically speaking, Diskeeper is ancient product and should has accumulated knowledge. But if you have Samsung drives we can suspect that Samsung own product knows a tricks unavailable for outsiders.

In OP you mentioned safety, and I am sure when write operations are cached they introduce risks, especially if your rig has no UPS. But even with UPS any freeze or BSOD can ruin information.

PS In no way I am an expert in caching software and in caching mechanics of OS (despite the fact that I have read "Windows Internals" several times, but caching stuff is boring, so...). But I can`t see how 3rd party caching software can improve reading operations. See, when OS cached the info after it was read for the first time, what can be done to improve... to improve what exactly?

PPS I was talking about home/office usage. In server world (where powerful UPSs are mandatory), such caching software can be of help. But not several ones simultaneously.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    386SX, RyuzakiL, HandR and 1 other person like this.
  7. RyuzakiL

RyuzakiL Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX-1070
    I see, thanks for your insights. From what I gather from your reply, it's better to turn off these 3rd party cache software as they're redundant in nature given that windows already do this via superfetch (I think?).

In this case, I'll just turn these off and have the free gigs of ram available for applications.

Thanks Ancient Master :)

airbud7 likes this.
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    You are welcome.
    Turn one off and test. Turn it back on and turn another off and test. If you know how to test things you probably have no need to seek advise. :cool:

PS And if you feel no difference between turned on and turned off (all) caching software then I say you don`t need it.

Superfetch is about pre-reading the data which most probably will be needed (according to user actions in the past). Not a caching strictly speaking. But superfetch uses caching facilities of OS.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    RyuzakiL likes this.
  9. SweenJM

SweenJM Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 590 nitro
    Use primocache for cache solutions. I've tried a bit of everything, and haven't found anything better. It will allow you to run multi-tier cache without using two (or three) seperate apps. My data-slut system runs 16 gig of ram cache, two tiers of ssd cache on top of a raid-5 array....using primo cache.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  10. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

As above @mbk1969 said you should test it, with cache turned off and on, I done few tests on my build and I have used Primocache as cache drive I have used spare 512GB SSD for two HDD(6TB and 3TB) as I use these as my content drives for 3D rendering, difference between on and off have been in my case zero, no difference in load times of scene or models etc, I tested that for more than 1 month and I thought so load will be bit better, copying files on these drives I think improved but that's probably it

Personally I would do tests and then decide there as I have done, I decided not to use Primocache because is useless for me

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

11. RyuzakiL

RyuzakiL Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX-1070

Thanks for your input Yes, I finally turned off the Samsung Rapid Mode and just relied on Intellimemory feature of Diskeeper as it seems it increases the lifespan of my drives due to eliminating the need to seek the same information on same things that I do on my computer (by the way it's always turned on 24/7). The caveat is that it uses 40% of my 32gb ram kit though I think an unused ram is a wasted ram.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Read operations don't hurt an SSD at all....