All these new cpu's and yet my trusty 920 DO still does the business

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chrishathaway, Apr 21, 2011.

1. chrishathaway

chrishathaway Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 @ 1105/1645
    As per title really!

Does any gamer really need anything more?

I'm thinking this chip will be lasting through a couple of graphics card changes atleast. Clocked at 3.6 and yet nothing really taxes it, I'll happily encode video whilst playing games and so fourth.

What I'm wondering, had anyone out there upgraded from this chip to the sandybridge (fixed version) and really noticed any improvement from a gaming perspective?

Of course to get half decent responses I'm looking for someone who atleast kept their outgoing gfx card just to test.

Intrigued to know, obviously mixed with decent fast access storage medium I know that people will get better processing power for encoding etc, it is just the gaming angle I ponder.

2. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    in all fairness a i7 9xx is still pretty new!!

Only now are Dual cores starting to get phased out.... And een then, a decent OC on the right dual core will still stand up agains a stock quad!

3. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Wait for the new console cycle to get to retail shops...

4. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    if you run a single midrange GPU, then the i7 920 OC'd is enough.

if you run SLI/Xfire high end cards, then your CPU will bottleneck it unless you play at really high resolutions.

as an example, check the 580 SLI benches from some reviewers. even with a first gen i7 oc'd to 3.8-4ghz, they could still only get 40% scaling from adding a second card at 1920x1080 as a result of a CPU bottleneck. cranking up the resolution improved scaling, i would assume running a sandy bridge setup would improve scaling since the sandy bridge i7s can be pushed further.

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    My i7 rig is 2 years old next month, i cant see myself upgrading for a least a year, maybe longer, even if there is a slight bottleneck with SLI/Crossfire, cost of upgrade isint worth it and probably cheaper to do dual card setup then in a year buy a single top end card, rather than replace the mobo+ram.

Im hoping bulldozer is really good and that AMD stick to the AM3+ socket for a few iterations, getting fed up with intel and their new socket every 6 months.

6. Paul L

Paul L Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 8gb
    Why is this posted in the AMD section ??
    The OP doesn't mention anything about AMD. He's just asking about whether it's worth
    upgrading from an Intel i7-920 to a Sandybridge.

Edit - chrishathaway there's already a thread discussing this issue in the Intel
    section -> i7 920 to 2600k - should I ?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  7. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Well, for people like me who never saw the performance increases from ditching the C2Q platform, yes, I'd rather go the SB route. Its the people who jumped to the first gen i5/i7 platform that are currently stuck in a delemia...

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    If its only for gaming then no you don't need to upgrade. That's why I'm waiting until LGA2011.

If you are obsessed with benchmarking or do a lot of encoding then maybe it would be worth your money to upgrade. But even the 920/930 is still quite good at video editing.

9. chrishathaway

GPU:
    GTX670 @ 1105/1645
    Oops. Baby brain sadly, I have a newborn fresh in, I'm on day 4 now, brain still not functioning properly!

10. chrishathaway

GPU:
    GTX670 @ 1105/1645
    Ta, crossfire, makes sense, i suppose if you were playing over 1080P or even multi-screen setup. Crikey, its a price and half to go to the extremes!