Alienware knows better than you do.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by r3claim3r, Feb 24, 2005.

1. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
    I think that part of the appeal of an Alienware computer was when they first came out with the Predator case (the current design). Back then, it stood out. Now, even though the look is still fairly unique, Alienware's case doesn't really stand out anymore compared to other cases you can buy. Alienware needs a new design, and in order to justify its premium price, it had better look completely out of this world.

Not to mention the fact that it needs to revise the build vs buy part of their site so that they're not talking down on everyone.

2. Jason_25

Jason_25 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6600 GT OC/17" HP CRT
    Yes internet support is so useless. When people have a big enough problem to make a service call, the computer is probably not going to be usable enough to do internet support.

3. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    alienware is like expensive rolex watch. A status symbol. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Fortunately real gurus know whats better ;)

4. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    But if you have money to wipe your ass with, I the not choose an Alienware? :p

5. Recrofne

Recrofne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    You mean the "ignorant consumer" status :D ?

6. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

because with that same money that you wipe your ass with, you get get a better computer than alienware could ever sell you. Period.

7. MastA

MastA Guru3d's P.I.M.P.

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC AGP
    Because i could have more money to wipe my ass with.

8. goregrinder

goregrinder Active Member

GPU:
    2xMSI NX7800GTX SLi
    thats rediculous,....have you seen what they want 1500-2000 dollars for?,...a celeron with a 5500?,...hell ive seen an emachine with a athlon64 and a 9600 that id rather have and the emachine was only 750 WITH the monitor and everything!(even had a windowed case with blue led fans and was called "modware"....even emachine promotes tweaking and modding fun,...

the only thing i would ever want from alienware is if you could just buy a aurora or area 51 case,...thats all they got goin for em in my opinion,...but im sure they would want 900 bucks with a 300 wat power supply the anal rapin sh!t's:rolleyes:

9. Zombiematt

Zombiematt Member Guru

GPU:
    geforce 275 gtx
    its funny that i find this post when im actually on an alienware pc LOL
    its specs are the same as mine in the corner. the only difference is the alienware has 2gb ram a sound blaster and it costs about $1,800 more than the one i built. performance wise they are about equal , in some tests this alienware wins and in other tests mine wins, heh go figure i guess its like a modified dodge viper vs an aston martin. both kick butt one just costs a bit more :) but seriously some things just stand out above the rest . alienware is one of things

10. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    "Each purchase of an Alienware system comes loaded with exclusive extra features, such as a personalized owner’s manual with benchmark results, an Alienware mousepad, an Alienware T-shirt, and much more, all provided free of charge."

Well at least now you know where your $1800 is going...

11. PixelDude

PixelDude Pixelated Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800GT (Albatron) on a 19" 8ms LCD
    Bah, I dont trust any branded PC...

I used to work on Compaq Desktops, over 50% of the parts where proprietary Compaq sh1te that literally costs five times as much as a standard part to replace.

For instance, a Compaq Mainboard costs $550. If it fails, you cant buy a standard ATX mainboard for $100 because it simply wont fit. Total BS IMO...

12. Kyaner

Kyaner Hellenic Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 700/1680/1000
    So Aliensware makes really really expensive t-shirts !!!!
    Meh stuff like that r only for ppl that don't know what to do with their moeny and can't be arsed to built their own system.