1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alienware graphics amplifier - anyone moving to a laptop

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jae-So, Aug 24, 2015.

?

Tempted to change to laptop

1. Great idea, seriously considering it.

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Good idea, but too expensive

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Meh, looks okay I guess

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Not interested

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  1. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    Hey guys not sure if I should have put this on the laptop section but felt it was more relevant here.

Been reading about the graphics amplifier http://www.dell.com/uk/p/alienware-15/pd.aspx (I hope it is okay to link).

Does this tempt anyone to move from their rigs? I'm seriously considering it. I typically don't change my CPU etc for years (hence my i5 750) so I figure why not have a mobile gaming rig that you can connect to the amplifier and play the most demanding games. Just upgrade the graphics cards as I already do.

Sure it is more expensive but I like the idea. When I upgrade in 2 years I'll have had most of my current rig 6-7 years so figure why not eh.

Thoughts? I've added a poll just for fun

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  2. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    [​IMG]

Not a chance, there's a host of issues I can see with this.

1. Limited Bandwidth.
    2. $300 price point.
    3. Mobile CPU's aren't comparable in performance to desktop variants.
    4. Form factor.

Once you've bought the amplifier and a GPU that's a substantial upgrade from your laptop GPU, you already have the money to build a separate desktop PC in a small/similar sized form factor. I wouldn't game on a laptop to begin with personally, I'd rather take a hand held or attach a Moga pad to my phone to be honest. That + my Kindle is all the mobile entertainment I need.

If I did PC game on the move, I'd buy a cheaper laptop from elsewhere and maintain a home desktop setup. I'm not keen on this product at all.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    I wouldn't mind having this, being restrained to mobile GPUs massively decreases how much you can upgrade.

But I can't, without some hackery in my laptop it's just not designed for it, wouldn't mind e-GPU getting some sort of standard in high end laptops.

4. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    Yeh you make some good points, certainly not go everyone but I can see where some people may grab it. From my pony of view I can see someone getting just the laptop with say a GTX970M and it being enough for 2 years. Then when you need an upgrade you grab this for when at your desktop.

I agree that the price point is the main deterrent, and I'm not sure it makes sense but is cool.
    I'm not sure the bandwidth etc will make a big difference in real applications. The CPU as well - 4770K vs 4720HQ seem to be reasonably close, but hey you can overclock the 4770K and that becomes a moot point.
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4720HQ

5. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I have one of these - 15" almost loaded except I didn't go with the 4k screen. Also got the GA and slapped in an EVGA 980 SC in there. Works like a charm... most of the people screaming "not enough bandwidth" should give it a try first. I use it to do mobile demos of my Oculus Rift DK2 for work.

6. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
    I wanted to post something here but Darkest expressed it perfectly.

7. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    Yeh it does have some flaws at the moment. I'm hoping they make it cheaper and better (more PCI-E lanes) over the next 2 years. That's when I plan to upgrade. If not I may just go the other end of the scale and go hex core i7 m-atx

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I see no point to this unless you don't have the room for a full desktop setup. Nicely spec'd laptops are way more expensive in general than a comparable desktop without the ability to easily upgrade them. Now I'd have to keep this amplifier box hooked up, I might as well just build a small formfactor desktop and use the extra money I saved to buy a mid range laptop for mobility. You aren't going to be lugging that amplifier around with you anyway.

9. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    Yeh, the more I think about it, the more I tend to agree. I think if you are keen to have a nice gaming laptop and you would get one anyway then this is a nice accessory to have with it. Otherwise a desktop rig and streaming would be a better deal.

10. mexy750

mexy750 Active Member

GPU:
    3x EVGA Titan X SC
    voted for "Great idea, seriously considering it."

few years ago i was living one half of the week in an apartment with college students due to univerity studies, and the other part of the week with my parents, this would have been something i could have taken with me on the train. a desktop would not have been an option, and this is cheaper than 2 similar desktop pc-s.

so in that life situation i vote for yes! now i'm living in a single place, now it's a NO.
    these days as a laptop i don't want to carry anything heavier than a 11" air mac :)