Alienware = Aliencrap

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by 91LudeSiT, Aug 12, 2006.

1. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    So I am fixing this alienware laptop for a friend. First off this thing cost 4 grand, who the heck buys a 4000 dollar laptop? Well I guess my friend did. So he tells me windows won't boot, guess he forgot to tell me he ripped out the cd-rom drive which freaking complicates things! So I figured out it was the RAID setup causing windows to freeze on booting. So I reconfigured the RAID array, put in a new cdrom and got to installing windows and **** no floppy to install RAID drivers. Well after about an hours worth of work slipstreaming the RAID drivers into a windows install disk I had windows up and running. Then the thing gets terribly hot and shuts off automatically, and I talking hot like frying pan hot, the CPU was idling at 72c (THATS RIGHT 72C!). So I take it apart only to find the heatsinks clogged with cigarette ashes. It got so hot it burned all the thermal compound off, so now I must clean it out and reapply the thermal stuff. Long story short, in 5 years of working on computers and dealing with many laptops, I have never seen anything so poorly designed and built as this Aliencrap. The best part is that it is supposed to be a gaming laptop right, well the dumb idiots use a desktop processor with laptop memory, laptop video card, and laptop hard drives, the stupid thing is bottlenecked worse than anything I have ever seen before, the CPU spends more time waiting on the other components than it does actually doing any work.

WOAH! Crap thats a long rant.

2. Hackez

Hackez Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 470 1280MB
    Ouch, Alienware have a well known reputation for overpricing and often the components are far from quality. I would much rather get the same setup from an Asus or Acer laptop and thge funny thing is it would propably cost you half of the price.

When you buy alienware you are paying 2000 for the logo on the side and sparkly case, thats about it.

3. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750

No **** LOL, even after I cleaned out the heatsinks and lapped them and put artic silver on them it still overheats. The processor idles now at 63c instead of 73c. Is that a normal idle temp for a 3.8ghz prescott? The thing gets so hot you can't play a game on it for more than 5 minutes without it shutting off.

4. Hackez

Hackez Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 470 1280MB
    For laptops I'm pretty sure you dont want it to go above 70-75 C full load for a processor. They tend to run a lot hotter than desktops and thats normal because of the limited space for cooling solutions.

If its getting too hot to play a game on it I hope your warranty is still valid. I'd double check to make sure the heatsink is on there firmly but I have no doubt that it is.

If it continually shuts off either hope you still got a warranty, or invest in a cooling pad and hope it can keep it on.

Alienwares are like E Machines when they first came out, five weeks later there were still return lines outside of our local Best Buy Store.

5. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080/intel4400
  6. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    Lucky this isnt my laptop, its a friends but he is good and outside the warranty. I cleaned, polished, and reseated the heatsinks with artic silver. The full load temp is now 73c and it doesnt shut off anymore. I would have never bought such a bogus laptop.

7. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    Some of the first laptops they made were basicly all fans and vents on the side so that air could flow. I would never buy a laltop built for gaming. Just a decent one and play with bad graphics. Its not that hard to do...

They are way overpriced though. I would much prefer to build my own and have the fun of doing it.

8. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    Everyone that has brain knows that spending 4k on something that can be easily broken or stolen is stupid! 1 of my 3 desktop pc's is an Alienware Aurora, its 3 years old and has never given me 1 problem, I will add that my Alienware pc was a gift ..so i have'nt spent a dime on it except to upgrade from the original 9800pro video card to a 6800 ultra, my other two pc's are home built...What i take from your post is not the fact that 1 Alienware desktop turned out to be junk, but your friend, who apparently has money burn, was dumb enough to get suckered by a 4k Alienware laptop!

9. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    I begged him not to buy it, I even told him it was overpriced junk. Did he listen? Nope, the thing I feel worst about is his parents paid for it thinking he would use it for college. He didn't even go to his classes, just didn't show up and flunked out. If his parents were smart after I send it back they should sell it.

10. scoutingwraith

GPU:
    eVGA 1080/intel4400
    Man for $4000 i will have a semester in my college. Thats bad for him but just it is not your responsibillity to convince him so no worries m8.
    As for Alienware Laptops......well werent Alienware bought by DELL. So i am guessing you can get Dell for cheaper and still have the same crap. You are just paying way too much money for a Brand name

11. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070
    Alienware and Dell did kinda merge, but they aren't merging products. Alienware will stay Alienware, and the XPS will stay the XPS.

12. Snooper

Snooper Master Guru

GPU:
    2xASUS EN7800GTX
    That Acer have the 17" widescreen?

I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 not a bad rig stays cool enough is equiped with a 2.2GHz Modile P4, 1GB RAM, 40GB 5400RPM HDD, and a 17" widescreen thats probably the best part of it. Mines more of a tool for surfing the internet, email, word, excel etc. It will heat up if I have it on the couch though for a few hours and the bottom gets no air but as long as it's on my lap or a table where it can get some air it stays cool. It's never gotten hot enough to turn off due to over heating though. I'd say there may be a issue there but that CPU is alot faster than mine but then mine is also built for the mobile life style and not ment to be a desktop replacement.

Gotta love being able to chill on the couch and watch tv while on the PC or watch a movie in bed etc...

13. scoutingwraith

GPU:
    eVGA 1080/intel4400
    How long does the battery last on those P4 mobiles. I have always been curious

14. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    I have a Sony Vaio intel dual core laptop and the battery life is about 4 hours...., oh and by the way it cost me $1050.00, it can't play games but it does everything else!

15. Snooper

Snooper Master Guru

GPU:
    2xASUS EN7800GTX
    My battery only last for maybe about 2 and a half hours. This laptop is about 3 or so years old though I'm sure it was probably about 3 hours or so when the battery was fresh.

16. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    Yeah...Alienware are pretty crap most of the time. I hate the way these companies charge so much more for technologies like raid and sli. To upgrade to a raid array of 500gb on the uk alienware website, from a single 250gb drive its like a £150 pound hard drive. Since when did a 250gb hd cost £150?

I had a "friend" (although by friend i meen idiot i know) who spent £2500 on an alienware desktop like a year ago. i remember that at that time to upgrade to a 512mb 7800gtx sli set up it was like £1000, more expensive than the basic card at the time. Cos the 512 7800 was on pre order it took so long to arrive by the time it did 7900s were out. His argument for buying the pc was that he "liked the case."

By the way what is the "alx" as apposed to there regular desktop?

I just looked on there website and the top of line alx system with quad sli and an fx 62 has what can only be described as value select drr2-800 with latencies of 5-5-5-12. TBH, if i spend over £4500 *like ($7800) on a pc i'd expect a decent ram with some kind of a heatspreader and not this value select cr*p. Alienware exploit people who have some money and are just getting into the enthuisiast market, but have no knowledge or confidence to build it themselves. These people think you need to spend like £5000 to get a great rig which is entirerly companies like alienwares fault. Also for £4500 i cannot believe that you cannot have an optional upgrade to decent ram. Whay bullsh*t. If i ever meet alienwares ceo i may have to punch him the face repeatadly.

Before i came to this forum i was considering buying a pc from either alienware, mesh, or cyberpowersystems. So this exploitation annoys me as it could have been me who they ripped off. (with the execption of mesh who make good pcs at a good price. Although they're not really gamers pcs which is why i'm building it myself)

Thanks for getting me started 95hatchDX. That was a very long time well spent. :)

p.s sorry for any typos, my hands are getting tired and i cant be bothered to check for any.

17. JIM2003

JIM2003 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    I basically command my friends not to buy prebuilt computers. I build them one for free. Then I get more experiance and my friends usually give me $10 for the help. :)

18. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    Dell notebooks are far higher quality than alienware.
    That says something (Though Dell's corp stuff is pretty decent).

19. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    they should make a sticlky of this :D

20. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070
    Jim: building Laptops is a tad harder to accomplish though. if i could easily buy all the parts to build my own laptop... i wouldn't hesitate.

CyberPower makes some nice laptops. friend of mine got one.... and boy does it seem easy as hell to upgrade.