Aliens Colonial Marines [PAX]

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by klambre, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    The PC version of the patch is going through final testing at the moment. Plans are to have the patch out within the next week.

From Chris at Gearbox...
    Hopefully this will make some happy.
    While I hear people say there's more wrong with the game then just the visuals... it's the first thing I hear/see people complain about.

And it's the one thing people try to use as a defense when comparing the released game to the Pax 2012 demo. The visuals.

2. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Errr...you mean a good looking game filled to the brim with tension, action and excitement, mr dodgy, Gearbox forum mod.

That's a professional reviewer's opinion, not some twelve year old's, who's holding a grudge, and is simply parroting other ranters.

3. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    If someone finds the game lacking because it missed on the action or tension, fine.
    But, when people fire back that the "visuals suck" or look dated as the reason why the game sucks...
    And everyone is throwing around how the PAX 2012 demo is such a better game then what we got. How does anyone know that? Because it looked better?
    Because it looks to play exactly the same.
    I know that visuals can add to a game's atmosphere and immersion. Drawing the player in and allowing them to get "lost" in the world.

But, if the gameplay is truly flawed it doesn't matter how great a game looks.
    And if that's the case, if the gameplay is what is the problem with A:CM, people need to say so. Not hammer done a weak complaint that the game sucks because it doesn't look "as good as the 2012 demo"...

And a professional reviewer has as much validity to me as "some twelve year old with a grudge".
    It's still just some random guy's opinion. Someone who could be just a jaded or pissed about the length of the development or whatever as anyone else.

Sorry, but to me, reviews are nothing. Be it good or bad, they hold no factual credence that sits them apart from anybody else' opinion.

4. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5600XT G. MX

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    No mention of fixing the poor A.I. or laughable animation though which are far more important than prettier visuals IMO.

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    "As this update is rather large, those players with limited or bandwidth-capped access may want modify their auto-update settings by right-clicking Aliens: Colonial Marines in their Steam Library, choosing Properties and selecting the Updates tab."

So its going to be big, maybe that 8 gig rumour was not far off the truth. lol

7. charliehamster

charliehamster Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070
    Yeah, fixing those issues should be top priority if this game has any chance of being saved.

8. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    This is something at least.

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Steam's patching system is a bit borked though, isn't it, so this update may replace 8 GB worth of files (wouldn't that be the entire game?) but it wouldn't necessarily be 8 GB worth of changes. If you get what I mean?

10. Solace

Solace Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Hopefully there are some AI fixes too...

"along with some additional changes that will be part of future updates for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3."

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
  12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    While I agree that AI and character animations should've been addressed in this patch as well (and could be, but are some of the none listed fixes that will be released for consoles in a future patch).... Gearbox fixed what people voiced as the biggest issue on the forums.

The visuals. While there are plenty of threads/posts pointing to the AI and animations. There are far more screaming about the visuals.

I'm going to wait and see what all this patch contains once the change log is released. And see how the actual changes impact the game itself.

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?p=3849070#post3849070

14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    WOW!!!

4 gig, looks like we might be getting a different game, now i know it says this update is based on the console version but surely they never got anywhere near a 4 gig update on there.

Well fingers crossed.

15. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    The download is 3.5 gig, it just started for me on Steam.

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Oh, restarting steam now.

(Yeap its updating) :)

17. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Trying the first mission now. For some reason since the patch I've got this annoying grain type effect covering the screen.

There are more effects present, there's a ton of slime dripping from hive walls for a start. Lighting seems improved. Can't figure out wtf is causing the odd grain effect however.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  18. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    downloading now but steam also wants to update lol , that can wait for a while while I see what A:CM is like once the patch has finished downloading

19. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    How about textures, any better?
    Has this patch turned it into a 2013 game or is it still looking 2007?

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"