Aliens Colonial Marines [PAX]

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by klambre, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    The PS3 patch rolled out this morning...

This was posted by Gearbox...
    So, the upcoming PC patch will feature all the listed fixes for the new patch. As well as some others not listed, and some PC specific changes/updates.

Here's the changelog for the new update on 360...
    Very curious to see the PC change log once it's released.

2. Johnny5srv

Johnny5srv Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia SLI gtx670 2GB
    The only thing that would save the PC version is a complete overhaul plus a full high resolution texture pack. Do you really think it will be any different than the console patch? It's a lost cause.

3. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Funny.

People complained and griped because there wasn't a patch, GBX release a patch and state plans for upcoming PC patch... people complain and gripe because it's not good enough and try to discredit the patch before it's even released.

As I said shortly after the game came out, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Seems most are set to hate this game no matter what SEGA or Gearbox do.

Personally, I'm still surprised to see the amount of hate for it. I've played much worse games that got much better praise.

4. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080ti
    "Seems most are set to hate this game no matter what SEGA or Gearbox do."

Funny, I don`t see it that way at all. GearBox has done way too much damage/disservice to A CMs. If ya wanna do good damage control, release fixes that are going to make peeps sit up and take notice. The list of fixes you posted? I don`t know anyone who has noticed that stuff needs fixing.

What EVERYONE has noticed, is that the game needs A.I. pathfinding/animations fixes and higher rez textures. So I totally disagree with your "no matter what Sega/GearBox does" statement.

If ya really want a better reception, release a Quality Update that matters. Until then, they talked the talk in those vid interviews before release... not they gotta walk the walk. Man up. Surely you have enough going on upstairs to see where I am coming from on this? And surely GB and Pitchford have at least SOME integrity, to make good as far as A CMs is concerned.

For the record, I have well over 50 hours into A CMs now..... so I am not on the hate this game list. I like it inspite of GearBoxes mismanagement decisions. Most of this time spent trying to tweak it so it looks like something released THIS year. But I think I am gonna wait now and see what actual support this game recieves.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

5. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    has the patch been released ? , my A:CM downloaded a small amount but no more than 1.5mb

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    What made this game so poor was the arrival of Crysis 3 one week later which made Aliens: Colonial Marines look like a re-release from five years ago. Everything about this Aliens game is half-baked IMO and I doubt that any patch will fix any of the major issues such as pathetic A.I., laughable animation, dull gameplay, awful storytelling/dialogue and ridiculous clipping (where fellow marines frequently walk through your character and each other, totally breaking any sense of immersion). Then there's the disappointing visuals. As the saying goes you cannot polish a turd and this game would need a major rewrite to fix its problems. That just ain't going to happen.

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    They sold the game on the basis of the demo, we all pre-ordered the game on the basis of the fantastic demo and what Pitchford stated in the commentary on the demo, what we got was not what they sold us in the demo.

I would not say people hate, i would say people no longer have faith in the game devs and are angry to have been on the receving end of this con, and they have a right to feel that way.

If you have not seen the E3 demo then go watch it, that will answer your question why people are pissed of at what they paid for.

8. nonymous666

nonymous666 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
    I found the demo anything but fantastic and it caused me to NOT preorder / buy the game.

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You're the first person I've seen to dislike it .. what turned you off?

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^Well you were lucky enough to dodge a bullet then.

11. MarkyG

MarkyG Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080Ti
    The game is beyond saving IMO. Played it for about 2 hours on launch day, not touched it since. Too busy enjoying quality, well made games like Crysis 3, Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3 (testament to how awesome FC3 is, on my 3rd playthrough). Heck, even Rebellion's new Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army is more fun than ACM.

12. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    I had ongoing discussion with Damian_Azreal about this weeks prior to release, him arguing for the game and me arguing against.

The demo IMO played pretty much like how retail did, with slightly worse lighting, animation and some unused maps.

Aliens still random stopped to stand up so that they can scream at you. They moved too slow. Combine these two factor and you have easy enemies, which means no real threat to you. Without a real threat to your character, I find it hard to maintain any atmosphere (take RE games with infinite rocket launcher unlocks for example)

Corridors. This isn't a fault by itself since you can have excellent corridor shooter, but in the demo's case they had objectives highlighted for you... I can live with that and sometimes even like it when the game is very open ended and players can get lost in it without assists, but in a corridor shooter it's taking things too far.

Just ignore graphical difference and watch the demo videos... they weren't far off from the release product.

That being said, I think the game ultimately came out to be an average shooter, not the worst game ever as some people make it out to be. I saw average demo videos and I think the product loosely fits the bills.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
  14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Cant believe people are still commenting in this thread considering how bad the game is and what has already been said.

15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Considering the patch hasn't been released on PC yet...

And the change log I posted above was only for the 360/PS3 versions.
    That change log for the PC patch hasn't been released yet. As it will feature those changes, plus additional changes and PC specific features/fixes.

Just a little bit of waiting.

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  17. eagled1

eagled1 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI 4GB
    Sega/Gearbox: "Our official announcement: THIS GAME SUCKS" the end.

18. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I played a total of 2 hours and have not touched the game since.. which is BAD considering I even finished Duke Nukem just to get my money worth. I was so excited for a new Aliens game that this was truly a huuuuuge let down. This is strike 3 for Gearbox for me. 1 strike for Duke Nukem and another 2 strikes for Colonial Marines. No more Gearbox games for me until at least a month after release and amazing reviews.

19. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Same bro, haven't touched the game in weeks...

Boring, been playing Dead Space 3 instead!

Graphics were even meh. The OLD Alien Vs Predator was much better, graphically & story-wise...

20. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yea lol, almost 50 pages. It shows that a lot of people had high hopes for it and the whole fiasco is still fueled by the devs and press. Shame for them, to come with this after BL+BL2...