Alien Rage

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by vejn, Sep 23, 2013.

1. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    besides performance this game difficulty is annoying! or more the super fast trigger event when u have no oppurtinty to do anything and u just die. this game can make u rage!

2. biggyca

biggyca Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Why is this engine still alive.Seriously, every game has stuttering and then it's up to the players to tweak the game.

3. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Fe
    someone with Windows 8 64 pro and drivers 13.9 can play multiplayer?

4. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Fe
    Are you on Windows 8?
    Have you tried multipayer?

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"
    I have not, I'm not very interested in multiplayer gaming in general so I usually never play online. :)

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The anti-aliasing in this game is incredibly poor even on 8xMSAA as it seems to be very selective about what it is actually applied to. For example, signs next to the doors have very noticeable jagged edges until you get really close up to them then the AA kicks in. In the meantime everything from quarter distance and beyond has haphazard AA applied to it. Honestly, the game would have had more effective AA if it used FXAA!!!

And performance is still really crap in the single player despite three patches. I'm seeing dips to 35 fps during some parts of the level. Absolutely horrible, giving the game a really laggy feel to it.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Damn, well that is a no buy for me.

You have around twice the performance i have, and these days i really can't be arsed with this sort of waiting and messing about.

It seems to be a similar (albeit not as bad) story with Shadow Warrior that PC exclusive games seems to have worse AA and more performance issues than console porta

8. N1GhTW4lK3R

N1GhTW4lK3R Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080
    SLi usage is very crappy in this game..any solution?

9. Megabiv

Megabiv Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Well some slight performance issues aside I've been enjoying this game today as its almost a shameful copy of BulletStorm (I loved BS by the way). Once you adjust to the difficulty its not too bad.

£15 for it and I'm not really bothered with the niggles since the price wasn't high to begin with.

Overall if you like punishingly hard games and have a few quid to spend it'll kill a few hours.

I'm getting around a 55-45 split with my cards on this which doesn't seem bad. What drivers are you using, i'm on the 326.80 Beta's?

10. N1GhTW4lK3R

N1GhTW4lK3R Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080
    Yes, same driver of mine. BTW 55-45 % is a poor optimization for Sli system.

11. Megabiv

Megabiv Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)

Ah okay, I just assumed that it was okay since they're both putting in similar performance or load.

12. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    Thanks... was going to ask what engine it was on. In the Youtube videos, all the "aliens" looked like Gears of War grunts with helmets on... are there less humanoid aliens later in the game? I might get it if they get these kinks worked out.

13. CoolRonZ

CoolRonZ New Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    I like Alien Rage, works fine on the highest settings for me in eyefinity... I'm just a casual gamer, on easy its still a bit challenging.... For such an old gaming engine, looks pretty good to me. UE4 wont be coming out til the new console arrive I'm sure of it, so as PC owners we'll be stuck with UE3 until then... That's my theory anyways... The physic is pretty decent too, altho I game with AMD GPUs, my 4930K can just about handle anything. Plus I think PhysX is jimmy rigged to suck on AMD hardware, but no biggy...

14. fernake

fernake Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix GTX 1080 OC
    No head warms me with this crap game, this game should work on almost any computer perfect like Shadow Warrior are just games with optimization of ****, and then want to promote PC gaming, so you can not.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    You wont see max gpu usage unless you remove that 62fps cap, well that's if its already at 60fps all the time.

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    WHAT THE ABSOLUTE F**K!!!???

This game has to be hands down one of the most unoptimised games I have ever played in my life.

I set everything to max and left AA on 4x turned off vsync as I don't mind jaggies but prefer more fluid mouse movements.

The frame rate is simply horrible, certain scenes it drops as low as 28fps!!! and seems to lock to that fps for a while even when moving around and facing a wall.

GPU usage is around 30-60% give or take the scene. This low GPU uage is obviously because of the stupid 62fps frame lock even without vysnc. Plus I checked CPU usage and the highest core usage was 55% and the rest were around 20-30% usage so its not CPU bottleneck at all.

Literally played for around 10 minutes and had to turn it off its totally unplayable.

If the game worked better than it might have been a half decent game.

17. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    yep i bet that the 680 7970 could ez run it on 62fps at least maxed out with full aa, go play multiplayer that NIGHT and day difference in performance. fully maxed out with 8xaa it flies around 180fps. but the sp...

18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    The only way to get a somewhat smooth fps is to follow the instructions in the GUIDE posted a few posts back from the steam forums using the Bulletstorm config editor

HOWEVER

even then it does not improve performance, I have had to cap the games frame rate to 30fps and use a controller to get a playable game. Using a mouse at 30fps for me is not a great experience at all (some games are ok most are not). Using a controller is not so bad, this game is simply just an extremely poor console port.

Even with the edited config, I get low fps, stutter/freezes when loading new areas. Its the same with literally all UE3 games, they all seem to have this stutter/freeze when going from one area to the next some are worse than others. This game being probably the worst ever!

19. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    Yea i hate the stupid UE3 engine, only few games could get it right with minimal performance issues, does make u wonder. what in store with the new UE4 engine

20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I'm playing Alien Rage and Shadow Warrior and the contrast between the two is staggering considering they're both essentially first-person shooters.

You'd think Alien Rage would be the better of the two because it isn't a reimagined port of an ancient game but it's not. In fact, Alien Rage is a sad reminder of how generic and boring the FPS genre has become with its dull enemies and even more monotonous corridors and rooms that are mostly different shades of grey. It's artistically devoid of imagination with one area blending tediously into another with little in the way of interesting landmarks or locations. Enemy A.I. consists of making them bullet sponges that run at you, some faster than others. Sure, Shadow Warrior's A.I. is similar but the difference is that its levels are wider so you have plenty of room to strafe, which is how these old-school games are intended to be played, right?

The nail in the coffin with this game though is the dodgy performance which for a game that looks as mediocre as it does is criminal IMO. I'd give Alien Rage 4/10 so far. I'll try and stick with it in the hope that it (and the performance will) get better but I'm really not impressed with it at all.