Alien: Isolation

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by -Tj-, Mar 16, 2014.

1. aliasIsolation

aliasIsolation New Member

GPU:
    S3 Trio64V+
    I also just tried it, and couldn't spot any issues. I can't see a reason why the mods wouldn't play nicely with each other :) I tried responding to your PM, but the forums won't let me until I have 15 posts.

Edit: The most important thing is that SMAA T1x is the active anti-aliasing method in the game. Your mod defaults to SMAA T2x, but if you change back to T1x, it should be okay.

The instructions are in README.md which comes with every release; you can also find it on github: github.com/aliasIsolation/aliasIsolation/blob/master/README.md

I've just added some extra instructions for installing the mod (there basically are none other than saving the files somewhere).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  2. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Yeah, SMAA T2X was the issue.

Works great! Noticed some lights flickering when hitting ESC, but other than that looks great!

Added a link to your mod in my guide :)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  3. aliasIsolation

GPU:
    S3 Trio64V+
    Brilliant, thank you! :D

There may be a few edge cases which I haven't covered yet. TAA jitters the scene randomly a tiny bit every frame (that's how it does supersampling). That jitter can sometimes cause flickering; especially when it's patched into the game by messing with its constant buffers :p Some flickering could only be avoided if the devs took TAA into account -- e.g. depth of field needs special care. If I spot any easily fixable artifacts, I will fix them.

4. aliasIsolation

GPU:
    S3 Trio64V+
    By the way, the same method which I used to hook the game's rendering can be used to add support for the recent Oculus SDK, thus making it work with CV1. The idea is that you substitute the original Oculus functions with new ones, and the new ones redirect the logic to the new SDK. It's like a translation layer, similar to LibOVRWrapper.

I have it kind of working, but I have been struggling with making it look right. Everything is slightly distorted, and the world/head appears to be tilted at a ~20 degree angle. Has anyone seen those issues with DK1 or DK2? I wonder whether it's the game doing something weird with the head transform, or if I bodged something in my translation layer.

5. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    This and the above is simply amazing!

If not already, please visit the Reshade boards and see if you can work your magic via Reshade and/or join the talented minds there :) -- http://reshade.me/

Thread on your tool here: http://reshade.me/forum/shader-suggestions/2276-so-taa-with-smaa-possible-with-shaders-seems-so

6. aliasIsolation

GPU:
    S3 Trio64V+
    Thanks! :) I've replied in the linked thread.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Removes the barrel distortion effect too from what I just read on the ReShade forum, might have to replay the game now ha ha. :D
    (Had a Cheat-Engine script which among other things allowed for disabling that little annoyance, was from the DeadEndThrills community but I don't think it was ever updated after the games initial release so it would likely be incompatible now with the patched version of the game.)

Nice to have a decent form of AA too beyond downsampling the game and using SMAA via ReShade. :)

8. angelgraves13

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I see I need to rehook after reboot or it won't activate. Is there any way to just make it a drop installation or it requires hooking into Steam after every reboot? Would be nice to just drop it into the AI folder and have it always be active.

9. jmcc

jmcc Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    I'm a the part when i get the Revolver for the first time. I've not found the alien yet. How much more time will it take until I meet him?

10. angelgraves13

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    You're close. I'll pray for you...

11. aliasIsolation

GPU:
    S3 Trio64V+
    You could just make a shortcut to run the injector with the "steam" parameter, and run it at startup.

12. aliasIsolation

GPU:
    S3 Trio64V+
    ... actually, there are other issues, and I don't think they are fixable. It would appear that shadows and a few other lighting effects are broken in Rift mode. Even when passing identity transformations of the headset to the game, they render incorrectly. Unless the devs fix it themselves and, patching the VR mode via injection would require a lot of work.

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I stopped playing this because I found it too stressful lol...

Alien uses "being scary"...

it is super effective..

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    It is also fairly scripted to generally keep close to you and pester you at various points of progress, mods exist that alter this so it's either "unleashed" and keeps roaming all over doing wtf (There's a reason it's leashed like that after all.) or alternatively reversing it so the alien keeps away from the player instead. :p
    (Well I guess the leash is less script and more of a parameter for the alien keeping close to the player with some scripting for it force activating and appearing nearby when you trigger plot or when plot triggers you by spawning a alien. :D )

15. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Love this game.
    While I've enjoyed other Alien titles in the past (AvP series) this is the first time the Alien series has been handled right in a video game IMO.

I've always felt it should be survival horror... not action.

16. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
  17. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Sweet figure what make is it?

18. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    alien isolation is one of the few games i played that has this instant brimming atmosphere that u delve into it the moment u put on your earphones, the sound design is just breathtaking, i enjoyed every scared minute i played in this game... hopefully we get a nice sequel from SEGA and The creative assembly.

19. ahmlet

ahmlet Member

GPU:
    980 ti g1gaming
    You can change the level of sharpness and chromatic aberration

"You can increase the amount of sharpening in data/shaders/sharpen_ps.hlsl on line 67 by changing the constant 0.65 to something higher. Just save the file, and the mod should reload the code even while the game is running. * Decrease the amount of chromatic aberration in data/shaders/chromaticAberration_ps.hlsl on line 32."

Goodies in 4k. Incredible the level of detail when zooming lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. ahmlet

ahmlet Member

GPU:
    980 ti g1gaming