Alien: Isolation

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by -Tj-, Mar 16, 2014.

1. kriller2

kriller2 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 960 8gb
    Here you can see the changes with my tweak-files and without:
    Without tweak:
    [​IMG]
    With tweak:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  2. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
  3. jesped

jesped Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070
    These are the Reg values that work for me, maybe they help you some way. I am using an HDMI output and I did not manage to make a higher res work.

https://mega.co.nz/#!4AxTATpI!q7k_bLa1umA2YUrIBhvgx_dkfIfPXdLsA_b3ZKxTYRw

AMD should start listening more to users demands and just put a goddamn Custom Res option in CCC. Nvidia is way ahead in this regard, now more than ever with DSR, so maybe we get luck and AMD get their heads out of their own asses for once.

4. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    holy crap. I dont what else you did to the config but the game now feels alot smoother using the same settings before.

Great job, thanks for that.

@Major Melchett

How did they achieve that look. No jaggies that i can see.. Photoshop?

6. fr33jack

fr33jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Placebo effect. Truly. There are nothing in that cfg which can potentially increase overall "smoothness" or amount of frames in game over the same settings which you are used before.

Theoretical it can be in couple of things which can speed up your frames or in-game "smoothness":

ShadowMapping default "Ultra" settings are int="6". In that config you have additional value with int="7". Those values could be not working as increased values due to possible maximum of int="6" in current game version. Therefore, when you set ShadowMapping to nonexistent value it resets itself to default minimum of int="2". Same with Particles, Lod "3.0", etc.

Not all in every game engine which you can manually increase to beyond default maximum can be better in regard to IQ ;) You must tested it first...before blindly increase all numbers which you encounter...

7. fr33jack

fr33jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Really? "Less jaggies"?! How you do that? With magic? :D Or you added hardware anti-aliasing support with your..."mod"? :D

For those of you who want to and able to change some settings (which are tested as working) with your hands and your head and by yourself (as any "guru" should do)...and doesn't know about pcgamingwiki...I remind you about such tweaks:

Level of Detail (Pop-in Distance) Increase

1. Open the engine_settings.xml file located in the DATA folder in main game install directory.
    2. Locate line <Quality name="Ultra" float="1.0" precedence="4"/> and change to <Quality name="Ultra" float="2.0" precedence="4"/>
    3. Save changes.

Increased Shadow Map Resolution

1. Open the engine_settings.xml file located in the DATA folder in main game install directory.
    2. Locate line <Quality name="2048" int="2048" precedence="4"> which represents the maximum vanilla shadow map resolution.
    3. Change line to <Quality name="4096" int="4096" precedence="4">
    4. Save changes.

4096 is not the max value. However, there are almost no noticeable differences above this value.

Increased Planar Reflections

2. Locate line <Quality name="On" int="3" precedence="2"/> and change it to <Quality name="On" int="6" precedence="2"/>.
    3. Save changes.

or, to preserve the vanilla setting as an in-game option to quickly change between vanilla and increased reflections

2. Beneath line <Quality name="On" int="3" precedence="2"/> add line <Quality name="Increased" int="6" precedence="3"/>.
    3. Save changes.

This change of visuals is highly dependable on personal taste. Refer to the original guide for screenshots that show the enhanced "shinyness" of the floor.

8. kriller2

kriller2 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 960 8gb

Modding is about experimenting and see the results. The tweak-file is a experiment to see if other people are getting the same results as I with the config-file. Allso I don't know if HDAO+ is working and it may be a placebo effect, but something happened when I changed the config to "ps4" instead of "PC", try look at the 2 pictures I posted further up.

Some will like the changes, some will not and some like to fiddle with the numbers by them self as I can see in your above post, im just happy if we can get the game to look better :)

9. fr33jack

fr33jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    :stewpid:

Are you for real? :D "Something happened"? You don't know if HDAO+ is working? "PS4 config" instead of PC?! :D Number of lamps on the computer?! :lmao You clearly don't know what you are really doin? Ain't ya? :D

Number of lamps on the computer AKA the Blinking lights ARE different...cause they ARE "blinking" and the picture itself ARE static...it's called ze screenshot, dude :lmao

It just further proofs your incompetence...you know that right? ;) Tho it gives me a very good laugh...so, thank you :D

Save yourself from embarrassment, dude - stop feeding the internet with your super fx masterpieces "mods"...at least before you rack up some experience and knowledge abot that stuff :D And dude...stop sayin ze fancy words ("visuals"; "less jaggies"; "mod for better graphics") the meaning of which you clearly don't understand :D

10. kriller2

kriller2 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 960 8gb
    Yes I am for real and as I wrote the file was to see if we could find out if we could experiement with the files further more to see if we can improve visuals, what is your problem with that? and why are you attacking me for incompetence :thumbdown
    Search for kriller on subsim or on gtaforums and you should find out than im not "incompetent", but im just experimenting with the Alien Issolation files. Pleas post a link to one of your own super mods, so I can see how good you are im waiting...

11. fr33jack

fr33jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    So...YOU ARE the compitent cause you posting on some sites many tweaks (which many people using and without your help) and call them THE mods, right? And you "wrote" the file? Like what...like code writing? :p So...amusing. Please continue :lmao Btw...you already make my day.

Your assumption about your "something" and the amount or differences of those computer lights (on static image!!!) which looks differently because of the magic config of yours from PS4 (PS4 ?! - :lmao) defines you as a 100% incompetent on this matter. You have been discredited. Further conversation with you regarding any game tweaking are pointless... Or ANY conversation, really...

You did not guessed that it's because of the static image??! :D Are you for real?! Oh...of course you are...what am I thinking! :lmao

PS. I'm not "attacking" you per se...I'm "attacking" human stupidity in general ;)

EDIT:

Modding...it's about in-game content changing and adding the new one. Changing in-game settings and IQ related variables called - "settings tweaking" and such...

People who tweaks in-game settings and call that a modding have an overestimated self importance feeling...just sayin :p

12. kriller2

kriller2 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 960 8gb
    No that's where you are wrong. Alot of discoveries have been discovered, because of people experimenting with stuff and seeing the end-result and yes maybe the amount of lamps wasn't, because of the tweak if you read further up you can see I realised that, which is why I edited the post.

No I did not "release" a mod or did "codewriting" like you say, we are just changing some numbers in a file to increase planar reflections, increase smoke particles after all it's not like have made my own thread or something :eyes:

Ha ha you are the one having a problem not me, maybe you should take some time away from the computer?

13. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    What a seriously stupid game it was.
    Just finished it but very challenging and.... very very long just keeps going on and on with an unrealistic plot.

I think the term mediocre perfectly sums it up and for the finish well I wont spoil it but lets just says its very poor...

I give it 4/10 and quite possibly worst than colonial marines...
    Sorry but it really does sux.. and really frustrating the save feature and random AI of alien(s)

14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    To each his own.
    Personally I love the save system and think it adds wonderfully to the tension of the game.

It's a brilliantly slow paced game that truly makes each move you make worthwhile. And, the alien's AI isn't random.
    It's designed to "learn" as you play. If you spend most of your time hiding in lockers... after a while, the alien will search lockers more.
    Under beds/desks... the more you do this, the more the alien will search there. It's why people that use vents all the time are complaining... the alien is showing up in vents more for them.

And, at times, yes the alien's AI is very unpredictable. But, it works IMO. The fact that you can't follow it all the time, that it does things at random helps add to the experience.
    Not sure how anyone could see Isolation as worse then Colonial Marines.

15. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    They used really high resolutions using a free cam and then resized them down - the pics taken are the equivalent of 25 megapixel.
    -
    Also, can the people posting full size 1080p (or higher) images please either spoiler tag them or resize them to 1280x720, it really messes up the page layout (both when viewing and replying) when people post really big pictures.

16. fr33jack

fr33jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    You wanna see fkd up page layout? Visit The Guru3D Screenshot Thread! :D Most fkd up page layout thread evar!..

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Is there a option to control it? seems a bit to reflected, I would lower it idk ~20%

18. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    I never had the alien appear once in the vents yet used them all the time.
    There was a point where i enjoyed it marlow and checking eggs like in the movie but after that it becomes so linear repetitive and boring.

The frustration and slow pace of the game is annoying. It's like they deliberately want you to be killed over and over so you can absorb the atmosphere at which point you get sick of this cause you just want closure and to finish the damn thing.

Colonial marines is linear but fast and the graphics are more detailed. Isolation there is more blurry effect to textures and softer image quality even with max settings. There even is microstutter yet fps is 150+ especially videos.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Sounds good then, fast paced action games are why I hate FPS's.

I also miss the days when games frustrated you, hardly ever happens these days.

20. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Firstly, you may want to put your second line in spoiler tags... as it wasn't something advertised before the game was released.
    It's a big surprise, and something I'm sure more people would want to avoid until they've experienced it themselves.

But, as for the rest of your post... I've ran into the alien multiple times in vents. I found the more I used them, the more the alien showed up there. But, if I broke it up and only used the vents sparingly... I could do so without worry.

Also, the slow pace is by design. But it's intended to help build tension and make you feel more vulnerable. And, that's something that's been known since day one. It's nothing they surprised players with upon release.
    Also, I've only died a handful of times. Using the motion tracker, listening and taking my time... I've only been killed when I did stupid stuff and rushed.

I got too sure of myself, and rushed through a room... knocked over a trashcan. Once the trashcan rattled around, the alien came running and pulled me out from under the desk I just crawled under.

And, I seriously don't see how you can think A:CM not only looks better... but is a better game all together.
    I'm all for personal opinions and such, and that's fine. I don't have to agree with it. But, in no way does Colonial Marines (even after the two 4gb patchs) look better then Isolation.
    If you experienced blurriness in game, turn off Film Grain and Motion Blur and use an AA option other then FXAA. The game is crisp, detailed and beautifully crafted.
    Also, there's no micro-stutter here.

You disliked the game, that's fine. Your opinion is yours, but... even for me (someone who enjoyed A:CM as a simple, flawed (very flawed) little game) I can't for the life of me see how someone could think it's better then Isolation.