Alien: Isolation

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by -Tj-, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    That's strange, there are no known AA flags that will let you override the AA in DX11 games, unless you are somehow running it in DX10 mode, which the AA flag for Bioshock is for.

Could you post some comparison pictures please? I am away from my PC until tomorrow so I can't try it.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    What's all this AI talk now, so it doesnt matter normal or hard mode?

3. Hyraclyon

Hyraclyon New Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 3GB OC
    Upon further inspection it does appear to work in reducing the aliasing greatly, however it messes up a lot of the shaders and lighting in the game:

This is without any AA added through Inspector, notice the jaggies on the top of the chairs:

[​IMG]

With 4x MSAA and 4x SGSSAA, jaggies are gone (hard to see because the light bugs out) but lighting is also gone:

[​IMG]

One shot with AA taken while flashlight is on, here you can see the effect the AA has more clearly:

[​IMG]

And finally an up-close shot, as you can see its very smooth but has some glitches. For example the light only turns on when you walk up to a light source:

[​IMG]

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    There are spelling mistakes in all of the difficulty files, someone posted how to fix it with a hex editor, then the devs piped up saying it works fine the way it is as the code that calls those files are also misspelled

Some people think that's just him covering his own a$$ for such a lame mistake and that a patch will correct it

The dev also says by editing the files it is just a placebo if you see any difference, but then another one of the devs says it will cause problems if you edit them, so noone really knows atm, trial and error I suppose if you want to try I have the fixed files here

https://mega.co.nz/#!IdklBJLB!w5I1AL_JSowv8mG5vtunC3CFw-CLjG_Zk37NMBQCPmU

Extract to here
    Alien Isolation\DATA\DIFFICULTYSETTINGS

-EDIT- Ignore video author loading the wrong game first lol

Possible Spoilers depending how far into the game you are / he is

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014

5. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    Guys is the happy on the hardware nature of this game along with the impressive graphics it offers caused by the game beinf developed in priority for the next gen consoles and then ported to pc? I like the performance of this game.

6. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    pc version is near carbon copy of console version, usually we get extras that make games more demanding.
    what's your opinion?

7. zimzoid

zimzoid Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Well I like it plays fine and looks fine on my rig.

8. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX 3080
    I can say that at 4K on a big screen, this game looks incredible, and when no humans are on the screen it's easy to almost completely forget you're not watching one of the movies.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Well its intense, very. I need bigger flamethrower canister :p

10. Kezen

Kezen Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    ^^ Except HDAO looks worse than Standard

Had to make 2 comparison screenshots to flick quickly between them to see it, but Standard gives better shadowing and depth on objects

12. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    I've actually taken to using the Alien (standard super wide) movie aspect ratio to play the game because of this, it really nails the movie vibe.

13. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080TI Gaming editi
    They did great job, i want them to explore and area in the Alien franchise that no one touched before, it happens between Alien 3 and Resurrection.

The least fav movies, but game can be good, i wonder 200 years between those films, u can pretty much insert everything.

14. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    does the game have 4k textures?
    tessellation?

15. evo161

evo161 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G
    best anti aliasing solution ? ... another from downsapmlig

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    There is no tessellation option in the Graphics settings though and as far as I can tell from playing the game there is no tessellation used either unless it is very subtle. Normally games that support tessellation have an option for turning it on/off and adjusting to various levels, which is not the case here.

17. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    It does have tessellation.

http://community.amd.com/community/...og/2014/10/07/high-tech-fear--alien-isolation
    From the type they've used I'd guess the level of detail option controls it.

Also, when you run the benchmark the 1st test is a tessellation test.
    -
    Edit.
    Looking at the benchmark results and the engine file, can we not enable the Multithreaded Shadow Rendering setting?.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  18. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I get what he means though, games nowadays still don't use tessellation to it's full capacity. Then again, take a look at the heaven benchmark. Using its full potential would currently still seriously hammer down on performance.

19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    ^ the article above refers to GCN.

Could it be tessellation is an AMD exclusive in this title?

People with NVIDIA and AMD GPUs could compare screenshots maybe?

PS: this game has went from a curiosity to an appealing game to a must buy for me.
    Gonna pick it up soon from Steam I think.

20. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    for me..editing the line below from 1.0 to 2.0 causes certain bits of fog (like in door ways or light source 'mist') to disappear once you're at a certain distance to it. Its there when far away, but move closer and it'll just switch off. Reverting back to 1.0 solved this problem and tbh, i think modifying the config files arent actually doing anything.

Have to say, any changes made in the config file are a Placebo.

Edit: Ive tried all sli bits mentioned thus far alongside the 2.0 tweak and all produce the same result.

Getting 70 degrees on GPU1 card and 55-60 on the GPU2 using 0x0C0080F5, both on water:3eyes:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014