Alien: Isolation

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by -Tj-, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The game only supports FXAA, SMAA T1x and SMAA T2x so not MSAA unfortunately. The game runs great on my GTX 980 maxed out with SMAA T2x and downsampled from 2880x1800 to 1920x1200. I get a constant 60 FPS. I did try 3840x2400 but the framerate dropped to 35-40 fps in places.

2. Pura.

Pura. Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 780ti
    When downsampling the game , i have to disable my 2nd Monitor , to get full screen on my primary one, otherwise it stretches out... Any way to fix this ?

3. ren008

ren008 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    I know for my Nvidia setup I had to completely disable SLI system-wide to get t2x as an option; disabling it just on the game profile didn't work.

4. rodrigoles

rodrigoles Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 680 1254/7000
    lol i saw the benchmarking results of this game before seeing any screenshot or video, in my head i was like "WELL, I BET THE GAME LOOKS LIKE DIARRHEA". Imagine my surprise when i finally saw some screens, THIS IS BLACK MAGIC

if this was running on cryengine, the visuals wouldn't be much better while the performance would be cut at half, at best.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3946/15480056772_92189de0c0_o.png
    https://i.imgur.com/unVjRZN.jpg
    https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3932/15440189216_658671707e_o.jpg
    http://abload.de/img/ai2014-10-0719-52-15-l5s6q.png

bad thing i'm not into survival horror, therefore i won't play it.

5. Placebo_Tony

Placebo_Tony Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
  6. Tnecniv

Tnecniv Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    I have only started playing and have not encountered the audio bug yet. Good to know though, will be on the lookout for it.

I recorded a quick performance vid with overclocked gtx980. Maxed out, rendered at 288x1800, downsampled to 1920x1200:

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    The game somehow defaults to surround sound (I have 2.1 system), maybe its something with that?

idk yet didnt play much, will report if I encounter the same.

8. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    I love it how the alien doesn't come if you are being shot at by other persons, but is with you in a second when you decide to shoot back. :bang:

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Sorry if its been mentioned but looks like AA and fov can be fixed with simple altering XML file..

ENGINE SETTINGS @ data folder

<Setting name="AntiAliasing">
    <Quality name="Off" int="0" precedence="1"/>
    <Quality name="FXAA" int="1" precedence="2"/>
    <Quality name="SMAA T1x" int="2" precedence="4"/>
    <Quality name="SMAA T2x" int="3" precedence="3"/>
    </Setting>
    <Setting name="Field Of View">
    <Quality name="47" float="47.0" precedence="7"/>
    <Quality name="50" float="50.0" precedence="6"/>
    <Quality name="55" float="55.0" precedence="5"/>
    <Quality name="60" float="60.0" precedence="4"/>
    <Quality name="65" float="65.0" precedence="3"/>
    <Quality name="70" float="70.0" precedence="2"/>
    <Quality name="75" float="75.0" precedence="1"/>

i see this off by default in benchmark template, why? Don't we want faster shadows, etc..

Multithreaded Shadow Rendering=Off

EDIT: yep it works after i changed its order

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  10. oxide

oxide Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980Ti
    For those of you wanting to run 60+ fps, launch the game in steam with the following command: --vsync_at_120

or change the variable to whatever your refresh rate is and your monitor supports, and of course, if your rig can handle it.

I'm running at a constant 120 fps with vsync on. Mouse is lag is no longer an issue now.

Also, I'm finding that even on ultra settings, i notice some texture pop in and/or LOD scaling depending on how far away you are from some of the textures - that is, the LOD changes to a reduced level of detail far away and enhances as you get closer. I found that to improve this and completely remove any LOD pop in, change the following LOD variable in the Engine_Settings under Ultra from "1.0" to "2.0" as follows:

<Setting name="Level of Detail">
    <Quality name="Ultra" float="2.0" precedence="4"/>

I'm also testing increasing the shadowmap resolution size and shadow mapping variables to see if that has any effect in improving shadows. Will report back.

11. ren008

ren008 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    Seem to have inadvertently solved light shaft flickering problem for myself at least when using custom 0x080912F5 SLI bits.

In engine_settings.xml change:
    <Quality name="2048" int="2048" precedence="4">
    to
    <Quality name="2048" int="4096" precedence="4">

No clue why increasing shadow resolution would fix this but light flickering in benchmark is gone and still scaling near 100%!!

12. ren008

ren008 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    Highly recommend this LOD tweak. Makes a huge difference and eliminates object pop-in for very little performance hit.

13. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Just applied all of those fixes and can confirm working.
    Cheers for those everyone:)

Also, still, but no where near as much, fps drops (mid 50's) when looking at certain light sources. Though in some places, such as the first area you walk into after taking your space suit off, no longer have any drops unlike with stock SLI Bits.

14. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    So after testing 0x080912F5, I've got the same exact UI glitches as using 0x0C0040F5, but with a bit lower scaling (some slight GPU usage drops here and there to 96-95%). 0x080912F5 was pretty solid still, but I'm going back to 0x0C0040F5.

EDIT : Thanks to SLIKnight @3dcenter.org, it seems that 0x0C0080F5 bits are the sweet spot. No side effect (glitch free) and same great scaling as 0x0C0040F5. Definitely recommended for us SLi users.

15. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    So what's the verdict for getting the best AA solution here?

I read somewhere that using Bioshock DX11 AA bits allows use of MSAA+TrSAA (maybe even SGSSAA?). I tried this but it had zero effect, except making Amanda's legs glow blue...

Tried downsampling with Gedosato, and the game crashes on launch reporting an error.

GTX680 4GB in SLI here (so no DSR yet -- and yes I tried 344.24 with modified inf but fails on install).

I'm thinking -n-game FXAA with some SweetFX sharpening, unless anyone has a better idea!

EDIT: Thanks for the 0x0C0080F5 SLI bits, working good so far.

16. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yeah can confirm that after reset of my pc, the flickering is still there and the other tweaks seemed to of made no difference after all. Which is strange as the first launch after i made them, it worked. After a restart of my pc, back to how it was previously.

I did set the .xml to read only fyi.

Im using downsampling with SMAAtx1 and then smaa through sweetfx. If you use sharpening, it pretty much takes a large chunk out of the benefit that downsampling and Smaa have on those jaggies. A fine line between sharpening and reappearance of jaggies.

17. doktor1

doktor1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    Hard Difficulty Code Errors

After change:

"HOLLY CRAP! The Alien actually stopped, it moved slower, it threw off my motion detector and used the vents tactically. I moved area without making noise so it didn’t instantly hound me with full knowledge I moved on. It didn’t sound like a two ton hammer every footstep as it was moving slower and checking corners, rather than the warp speed pacing before. Hell of a difference!"

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    EDIT - Removed - apparently editing the files to the correct spelling will cause issues in itself

--
    Dev just explained what the code does:

These lines of code are in fact correct! The string you see pulls data from our code base, which is also spelt exactly the same. These lines of code are used, and editing them will indeed cause issues, as the string can no longer read that parameter correctly.

We have QA'd it for functionality, but perhaps not readability or good spelling!

http://forums.alienisolation.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/20774-hard-difficulty-spelling-error-might-be-effecting-alien-ai-behavior

19. doktor1

doktor1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    THIS WAS JUST POSTED BY ONE OF THE DEVS ON THE FORUMS

Hi guys,

Just got confirmation from our Lead AI programmer that this has no effect on the difficulty. No difficulty setting modifies (or even mofisies!) the value, so it has no bearing on anything.

Any "change" you may spot in difficulty will only be placebo.

Fantastic spot though! Good job!

-Raxir

20. Hyraclyon

Hyraclyon New Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 3GB OC
    So I just tried what you said with using the Bioshock DX11 AA flag in NVIDIA inspector and it actually works for me! :) I used 4x MSAA and 4x SGSSAA and it took 50 fps off my performance (Which doesn't matter as I was getting 200 fps anyway) but the image is much clearer now and the flickering which I would get when moving is much reduced. :D

EDIT: You were right about the blue glow though, I didn't notice it at first because in my case her hands glow blue and you only see those while you run. Also seem to be getting significant framedrops (under 60 fps) with SGSSAA enabled.