Alien: Isolation

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by -Tj-, Mar 16, 2014.

1. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 PEOC@1350Mhz
    its DX11, no flags work....
    thats why there is an petition for it, that NV "open'/allows" also for dx11...

dx9, no probs, flags work..

i dont have the link now.. one sec..

there you go:
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/...for-directx-11-anti-aliasing-driver-profiles/

;)

2. Canzah

Canzah Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    It's DX11, so no.
    Besides MSAA is crappy, as it doesn't work for temporal aliasing.
    MSAA is a thing of the past, we need better AA forms that eliminate temporal aliasing.

Also I get fairly consistent 50 FPS at 4k with my overclocked 780Ti.

3. ren008

ren008 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    Aliasing is bad to the point of being distracting, really bad in motion even with downsampling.... Sucks.

4. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 PEOC@1350Mhz
    For those wondering about benchmark txt file...

Go to your steam library and right click Alien Isolation.
    * Click "Properties"
    * Click "Set Launch Options"
    * Type into the field "-benchmark" ( without the quotations so it reads -benchmark )
    * Click OK and launch the game.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I tested Bioshock U3E DX 1x flag and anything higher then 4xmsaa makes her blue legs, its the only effect in this game :D
    http://i.imgur.com/2cZgkGz.jpg

I get between 53-60, 60fps 90% of the time (but that 10% looks kinda unpleasant), but yeah now I saw chromatic aberration takes ~ 15-20% gpu usage, with that off I can do 3200x1800 np, but i kinda like this effect :)

Beta
    That sweetfx is not working it loads the game with - 64bit dlls, but it doesnt show any effect in game.

Or maybe there needs to be a certain order, few files go to data folder few stay in base?

6. ren008

ren008 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    Looks like SMAA Tx2 is not available when using SLI.... Disable SLI completely in NVCP to access it. Too bad, much prefer the look of Tx2 vs Tx1

SMAA Tx1 v Tx2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 PEOC@1350Mhz
    jup, SFX doesnt work...sadly.. could be some files need to be somewhere else, yes...

but im too tired now.. ill try tomorow, hehe..

n8^^

8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah, the game makes pretty good use of 'Full Body Awareness'.

There are games that have used FBA in the past, and some have done it better... such as Riddick, the FEAR series, Condemned.
    And, despite the hate it gets, Duke Nukem Forever had some beautiful FBA animations.

9. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 2080 Ti
    Running native 4K, FPS is through the roof with a corridor game like this. Honestly don't need AA at that resolution but I do notice some jaggies on vent grates when moving around just a little... none of the ingame AA modes really do anything about it enough to turn them on.

They nailed the atmosphere, tension and style of the movies completely. It's everything Colonial Marines wasn't.

10. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    I find aliasing very distracting at 4K, and as SMAA T2X looks to be the best and is disabled on SLi systems, I'm screwed for now I guess :(
    Too bad considering the awesome atmosphere and all around artistic quality of the game. To be annoyed by the aliasing was the last thing I thought would happen with this game.
    Going back to it, I need more of the great atmosphere !

11. ren008

ren008 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    I found it best to just disable SLI and run with T2X vs trying to beast-mode downsample with SLI. My one 670 runs this maxed out v-synced at 75hz anyways. Still pretty lame overall.

12. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    I'll try that. Thanks.

EDIT : Well, I was able to play @ 1620p & SMAA T2X with SLi disabled, but I wasn't satisfied with the IQ still. Put it back to 2160p with SLi enabled, disabled ingame CA before adding eFX+SweetFX to enable SFX's one as well as a bit of sharpening (to balance what comes next), added SMAA injector with aggressive settings & driver forced FXAA on top of it... And that will do I guess. Aliasing is still present on some distant objects affected by heavy LOD and various specular effects, but it feels much better.
    Result : http://i1.minus.com/iVcVxWTeedn2F.png

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The graphics options on the PC version are a bit confusing to say the least. Normally the rightmost option is the highest/best setting but here it doesn't seem to be the case. The rightmost AA option is SMAA T1x which I'm assuming is worst than the one before it SMAA T2x because it certainly looks poorer. Also the rightmost SSAO option is Standard and I presume HDAO is the more advanced form but that is the option between Off and Standard! Also, the FOV slider appears to be maxed out at 47 and to increase you have to apparently reduce the slider by moving it left!!!

Also, where are the SSAA options? On my PC, the game loaded up at 3840x2400 when I have a native 1920x1200 display and with a very small, unreadable Afterburner OSD as a result. Setting a higher resolution is not quite the same thing as what Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor uses as that allows you to downsample (use SSAA) from higher resolutions while taking screenshots at the native resolution. That is not the case with this game; it just allows me to set higher than native resolutions and I suspect that is only because I have DSR enabled on my GTX 980 (the listed resolutions are the same as the ones I have enabled under DSR).

Is the first cutscene where Samuels tells Riply that they've found the Nostromo's flight recorder running in real-time because I saw some early stuttering (at that point I was running at 1920x1200) and high GPU usage of over 60%. Later on when Ripley is crossing over to the Sevestapol, the cutscene appears to be FMV as it has bad aliasing (very obvious on Taylor's glasses) and the colours look less vibrant.
    On PS4 all the cutscenes seem to run like crap so at least the PC seems to be able to handle them better.

The 60 FPS framerate also makes the game feel a bit less laggy too. Graphics still suffer from some bad aliasing even with SMAA T2x and a 3840x2400 resolution, which is disappointing. The game really needs MSAA plus SMAA and an SSAA option IMO. Also, why is there no tessellation support? Handles look noticeably hexagonal rather than rounded.

14. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    got my ps4 digital copy installed but didnt played yet. i got that deluxe edition or how u call it. hoping it isnt a fail.

is it,?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/214490/discussions/0/616189743015255390/

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  15. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    Welcome to shader aliasing. It is hard to get rid of. Star Citizen has this problem also. Jaggies even at high resolutions are still there.

16. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    which do you guys prefer with the film grain

on or off?

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    That's not right...I can see my legs in the PS4 version when playing the game, though I've not checked this is still the case on the PC. Ripley doesn't appear to cast a shadow though which is definitely odd.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The PS4 also includes that option but in all honesty with the game being so dark I can not see the difference between the min. and max. settings!!! :3eyes:

19. doktor1

doktor1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    Legs are there on PC!

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The cutscenes stutter and run at what looks like 10 fps on PS4, which is incredibly distracting when you are just watching them (so it's hard to ignore...makes me wonder how on earth those passed Quality Control!!!) and the in-game graphics look a bit rough, thanks to very basic post-process AA, possibly SMAA T1x. The framerate is also capped at 30 FPS but feels a bit sluggish but that may be intentional because the PC game only looks smoother at 60 FPS and not that much more responsive.

It's obvious that the game was designed primarily for the consoles as the PC version has no tessellation support and the only AA options are FXAA, SMAA T1x and SMAA T2x, none of which are very effective. Even downsampling from a higher resolution will still leave a lot of aliasing and, of course, any screenshots are going to be at that higher resolution so will show all the jaggies in their wonderful glory. The game is thankfully mostly dark so they are only a problem in lit areas like the cryosleep chamber at the start of the game and the bridge of spaceship you travel on.