Alice The Madness Returns

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by blesner, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    P.S. I've read that there are bonus dresses and weapons too with the EA exclusive Collection... will we be able to buy those? Sad as it sounds I'm the kind of person who must have all the DLC and content for a game I really like.

2. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    P.P.S. What purpose do the bottles serve? Many of them are hidden in secret areas which suggests that they're there for some reason but so far the game has neglected to state exactly what that is whereas it has explained both the teeth (weapon upgrade currency) and red orb thingies (replenishes Alice's health).

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Sorry for all the posts... forgot to add that I disabled the forcing of ambient occlusion through the driver this morning and it seems to have fixed the intermittent two second freezes I was getting, though I only played for half an hour. From looking at the AliceEngine.ini file it seems that Ambient Occlusion is enabled in game anyway so it was liking conflicting and causing massive framerate drops, especially as I set it to the maximum Quality value.

The game still isn't smooth at 60 fps and often dips to 36 fps then 48 fps and back to 60 fps which is very noticeable whilst playing. I suspect this might be the reason for the 30 fps framerate cap so I may re-enable it and see how the game plays with that. I tend to find 30 fps perfectly fine on the consoles but annoying and laggy on the PC though, this is certainly true of Fable III so I may not like it. Could lower PhysX I suppose but the game engine is so undemanding that my temperatures never exceeded 63 degrees C whilst I was playing last night and this morning. Demanding games usually push it to 72 degrees C so there's a sense that the game should be running smoothly at 60 fps even with PhysX set to High.

4. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    Darren you can still play Alice 1. Just go into
    \Alice Madness Returns The Complete Collection\Game\Alice1\bin

Create a shortcut to Alice1 then go into proprieties and add the command line -RunningFromAlice2 at the end.
    It should work now.

5. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Well seems we still get the same options but it's the CPU doing all the work, I've been playing with all maxed settings + Edge aa/16x af forced and physx set to high and havent seen the fps drop below 50. I have the frame smoothing settings at 48 to 61. Seems like the 2600k does a good job handling physx, metro 2033 runs fine with adv. physx aswell.

6. PearlChoco

PearlChoco Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 570 DirectCU II

I have similar problems with my GTX 570. While mostly the game runs at 75+ fps, often the game suddenly dips to 10-30 fps for a few secs before returning to normale frame rates. All high, PhysX max. I guess it must be the engine.

Something else: why do they call this version of American McGee's Alice "HD"? I don't see any gfx difference with my older, original version.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I'll see what I can answer.

Oversight of EA but you can take advantage of this easily by altering "\Alice2\AliceGame\Config\DefaultEngine.ini"

Change the end part of this:

[AliceGame.AliceGameEngine]
    Alice1Path=..\..\..\Alice1\bin
    GIsSpecialPCEdition=False

To true and it'll unlock. :)
    (It's part of all games and it's weird to restrict it with such a simple tweak, normally I'd prefer to edit the user based ini files but they don't have this command.)

(As seen on the screens I posted two or three pages back were I show these menus I already use the EA Pre-order edition so I don't need it myself as it's already set but it seems to work from what I've read on other sites.)

The bottles are part of the memory recollections (Those silver/glass fragments.) you can unlock of yourself/Alice and other characters, for the bottles in question I think you need several of them though as I think I grabbed nearly every single one in the first chapter and still it hasn't unlocked much.
    (Same with those standard memories, snout secrets and what else there was, likely there might be some other reward for unlocking it all.)

And finally Alice 1 isn't part of the normal edition or on the disc so that shortcut tweak will do little unfortunately. :)

You don't lose out on anything much though, it's Alice from 2000 or so with a locked down exe (No console window, basic options and pre-set though maxed settings.) with some slight replacement skins (textures.) for the main characters with little else.
    (EDIT: Right as you said it has a larger resolution support by default and controller support implemented.)

EDIT: And yes after Unreal Engine 3 version for Gears Of War 2 the engine (UE3.5 sometimes called.) supports all sorts of additional effects and tweaks especially helpful via the UDK project - http://www.udk.com/news-beta-may2011 - but you often can't use commercial multi-platform games as a indication, most being more or less just ports, rather check stuff like http://www.indiedb.com/engines/unreal-development-kit/games?sort=dateup-desc or similar. :)
    (Ambient Occlusion has been used now and again but it's rare and usually pretty poor, DX11 has been used once and only rather basic in Homefront, DX10 also has been used infrequently but some titles support it as a byproduct of using newer Unreal Engine builds and not removing/disabling that part of the code, AA is another effect rarely utilized even after it was made more compatible and so on.)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    That's the thing though; I bought it on disc for £24.99 not direct from EA for £34.99 so I don't have the Complete Collection with the original Alice. It was just showing as an option when I used the *ahem*crack*ahem* to get around the release date activation. Once I activated the game the Alice option disappeared from the main menu.

I'm hoping that EA will sell this version separately for a reduced price as they are on the consoles because I'd really like to play it but would prefer it to integrated into the new game as a menu option. Not that makes it any different to play but I now feel like I'm missing part of the game. I know I could buy the original but this new version has controller as well as widescreen support which makes it more appealing.

By the way, I registered the game's key with EA's Origin and it shows in My Games list. I was hoping this would a crafty way to get hold of the Complete Collection but because the game is already installed I'm only given the option to Play or Uninstall it. There's no option to download it direct from EA. Maybe someone will find a way...

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, i get 1fps more using CPU PhysX in Metro2033 than using the GPU, so yeah the 2600k does seem to be great with it.

Hopefully get time to play this over the weekend.

10. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Games story was great :banana:
    There's a level with a lot of volcanic debris, try not to use the flowers if you're running high physx, you get stuck there for a while..

11. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Thanks Jonas I got the costume DLC with that tweak.
    How do I play Alice 1?

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    you cant, ill quote jonas in the same text you quoted

"And finally Alice 1 isn't part of the normal edition or on the disc so that shortcut tweak will do little unfortunately.
    "

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Best not to use Lock On Target button. Screwing up the camera, and having auto aim...

Love the PhysX :banana:

--
    Finish your soup, girls. Bovine juveniles gave their all for it.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The Lock On is useful at times and works in the same way as the Nintendo console Zelda games so is instantly familiar. It is less refined in Alice: MR though as the camera sometimes loses sight of enemies offscreen and that is a big no-no in any combat-based game.

Does anyone think the checkpointing system in this game is bizarre? There's no penalty at all for dying whilst jumping off a platform, you're just put back to the last safe point, but should you die in combat the game reloads the last checkpoint which can be a little way back forcing you to retread your steps. I can't understand why the game doesn't create a checkpoint BEFORE each combat section and then start you from there if you die; at least that would be consistent with the way the platforming bits deal with death.

15. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i have a question for the people who hate the lock on system, are you using keyboard and mouse ?

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    uhmm... yeah

--
    Finish your soup, girls. Bovine juveniles gave their all for it.

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Erm... what's a keyboard and mouse? ;)

18. Csokis

Csokis Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    How to increase performance:

C:\Users\User Name\Documents\My Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config folder and open edit the AliceEngine.ini file.

Original -> Modified
    bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE -> bSmoothFrameRate=FALSE
    UseVsync=True -> UseVsync=False
    bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=True -> bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=False

"[TextureStreaming] -> "[TextureStreaming]
    PoolSize=140" -> PoolSize=320"

Save, exit and change the file attribute to read only!

Alice Madness Returns\Game\Alice2\Engine\Config folder and open edit the BaseEngine.ini file.

Original -> Modified
    bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=True -> bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=False

"[TextureStreaming] "[TextureStreaming]
    PoolSize=140" -> PoolSize=320"

Tips:

Change Mouse smoothing:
    C:\Users\User Name\Documents\My Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config folder and open edit the AliceInput.ini file.

Original -> Modified
    bEnableMouseSmoothing=true -> bEnableMouseSmoothing=false

Change FOV:
    Alice Madness Returns\Game\Alice2\Engine\Config folder and open edit the BaseEngine.ini file.

Added some lines:
    [Engine.PlayerInput]:
    +Bindings=(Name="I",Command="fov 90")
    +Bindings=(Name="O",Command="fov 100") ;default

Disable Intro movies (EA Logo, etc):
    C:\Users\User Name\Documents\My Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config folder and open edit the AliceEngine.ini file.

Original -> Modified
    StartupMovies=Intro_EA.bik -> ;StartupMovies=Intro_EA.bik
    StartupMovies=Intro_SH.bik -> ;StartupMovies=Intro_SH.bik
    StartupMovies=TechLogo_Short.bik -> ;StartupMovies=TechLogo_Short.bik

19. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i feel it works better with a controller.

yeah i know what you mean. have you tried it ? personally i felt weird controlling alice, i was happy to hold the controller again. :p

20. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Sorry Im spinning becasue the Prem fixtures just got announced! cant wait to smash the Geordie scum second game in.