Alice The Madness Returns

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by blesner, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I agree 1st / 3rd person shooters are keyboard / mouse necessary

Pad for driving games for me, anything that involves aiming, good old KB + M

2. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I prefer KB/Mouse, but just fancied getting this for the X360, it should come tomorrow. Hopefully the aiming won't hurt the experience too much, I haven't looked forward to trying a game this much in ages, and I didn't even play the first one.

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I got it for the 360. It plays fine. Honestly I can't play a 3rd person shooter with a mouse/keyboard. It just feels weird.

4. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Each to their own :D

It's more of a platformer than a shooter :p and theirs target lock on as well so you should be pretty sweet :banana:

5. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    I was listening to the (extracted) localization audio files...and it seems that there is a lot of removed content :(
    Or maybe a DLC is planned ?

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, I know what you mean as I'm just the same. I think I'd be lost without a controller on my PC.

The big annoyance for me with the keyboard is the total lack of precision or finesse that you have compared with an analogue stick; those digital 8-way key movements are like trying to play a 3D game with a D-pad. And there's only one speed of movement too, stood still or moving; you don't get the complete range you have with an analogue stick from edging forward to running.

7. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    The bloody postman decided to skip work today so I didn't get my game.

8. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    This game is almost unplayable for me. The graphics are fine (full physx, very few if any stutters), but there are a number of other things that make this annoying:

Minigames are unplayable. Not a single keyboard/mouse press lets me select the tiles. If it weren't for the "do you want to skip this" option, I couldn't proceed.

First-person aiming (with the reticle) comes with some sort of autoaim... it recognizes targets that hit the reticle with a little zoom and centering, but the fine movements to actually hit the target (because the centering isn't always on target) and to look around to get the target centered are too slow to make this a viable option for combat. At some ranges, I can hit the breakable boxes on the ground by aiming far enough out of range for the autoaim to engage, but close enough that the fire hits the target.

Target selection is sketchy. Sometimes it won't let me switch targets unless I switch out of focus, turn to face other enemy, then re-engage focus.

Certain control bindings do not last through checkpoints. After any checkpoint (or death, which reloads the checkpoint), I have to reconfigure my keyboard/mouse mapping.

Waaay too much map between checkpoints. If I play through a difficult section, just to begin another difficult section and die, having to replay the first difficult section over again is a curse that should be reserved for consoles - that's one of the main reasons I don't own one.

Camera work is sketchy. In a pitched battle, as I'm switching from target to target, some views will cause the camera to be positioned such that all I see is myself, a corner of the room, the ground, or some combination of these (read: not the enemy). I have to drop focus, run to another section of the room, and re-engage.

I want so much to like this game... I love the Alice universe, the game is gorgeous and plays well, but the consolitis in this game is crippling the experience. I'd love to get in on the action of fighting multiple enemies at once with the weapons available (haven't had that sort of fun in a game for a while), but not when I'm busy fighting the broken combat mechanics.

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    WASD and Space is what I used for the tiling, however a lot of things bug if you re-map the controls, auto-aim I disabled via the ini so I can't comment on that, unsure if there was a in-game option for it at all but I guess not which is problematic but there's little of anything to adjust from within the actual game.

Target selection is problematic so I never used it other than for quick disarm/reflect moves as since like you said it can be difficult to use.

(And as you said here yeah the control re-bind functionality is pretty botched.)

Camera I got some trouble with also during larger fights and certain other sequences like the Act 4 running parts but I had more issue with how the controls somehow automated at times forcing me to quickly press the button it thought I was using in order to stop it, usually this caused my character to move either forwards or backwards constantly which was a bit annoying but thankfully not too common.

Game gets a bit repetitive at times but I enjoyed it, could have been better and as you point out there's a few other flaws and shortcomings - that hopefully will be resolved in a patch eventually - so the game has a few problems alright.

10. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    My copy finally arrived. I'm about 2 hours in on the X360 and it's great, the art style is brilliant, the sound is awesome and it's smooth (solid 30fps, for a change). The only two issues are the awful texture pop in and the camera. I'd highly recommend it though, I've never even seen the films or read the books but I'm enjoying it. An absolute steal for the £21.99 I paid.

If the game continues to be this good till the end I think it was reviewed very harshly.

11. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    is it me or am i not seeing destruction physx on floor tiles? (even when physx is set to high) or is it only visible on particular levels?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  12. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    It's only in the last or second last level when you eat the cake to make you giant alice and you can smash the chess board into pieces. That's the only time the ground breaks.

13. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    actually, ive found some parts where the ground breaks, in the heart kongdom thing where the train passes by near the seashell (for bonus rose/health)

14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Finished the game yesterday. At 15 hours for my first time through, the game is great. It's so wonderfully twisted and warped... yet the way they explain Wonderland and use Alice's mind... it's really clever.

Other then a bug in chapter 5 that caused the game to crash to desktop constantly (forcing me to get a save game from a friend and skip a section), and another glitch that borked my umbrella block because I rebound my controls... the game was great.

15. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    So far Spicy Horse have said they have no plans to release any patch, as they haven't seen a large enough issue with any part of the game to justify a patch.

Which, is bull... as tons of people have had the umbrella block glitch. Also, tons of people experience memory leaks in certain chapters which lead to constant crashes.
    I can't say I'm surprised as there were never any patches/updates for the first Alice... but to say they haven't seen any issues is just BS.

16. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    Those who live in Europe can get Alice Madness Returns for £19.95 (around 23€) in the Direct2Drive UK store (original price is £34.95, around 40€).

http://www.direct2drive.co.uk/7/10807/product/Buy-Alice:-Madness-Returns-Download

Don't know how long this deal will last though, it could last a few days, or it could even last just a few hours (the deal started yesterday, if it's just a 24 hour deal, it could end in 1h30 or so).

17. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor 6700XT
    I haven't had any problem with my game, but if Spicy Horse are aware of a bug, they should at least look into it.

18. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
  19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I'm beginning to like this game. Had started out with KB and found it virtually unplayable then switched to xbox controller but was sort of impatient with adjusting to it, so dropped it for a few weeks. Got back into it recently and now fully adjusted to the controller, its a blast. I like its originality and its a nice change from run of the mill shooters that I've grown tired of.

20. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    8 Years , necro here but I thought I give the game a play.I have origin version so unlocked DLC and looked for some mods for the game and having some fun.
    Game runs like crap still at times with Unreal Engine.Even with RTX 2080.
    I tried all kinds of settings ,especially streaming settings but still pauses and slowdowns.So I ended up just default setting and enjoy the game for what it is.
    Some screens with some textures from 2011.
    https://i.**********/sfYY4cCJ/Alice2-Screenshot-2019-07-28-12-50-38-16.png
    https://i.**********/L8XjRFYy/Alice2-Screenshot-2019-07-28-13-08-50-93.png

https://i.**********/rskSLdxW/Alice2-Screenshot-2019-07-28-13-17-20-70.png

https://i.**********/26v4Jdbr/Alice2-Screenshot-2019-07-28-13-55-41-07.png
    https://i.**********/3J92PxR4/Alice2-Screenshot-2019-07-28-14-03-39-62.png

https://i.**********/Qdy1dYcj/Alice2-Screenshot-2019-07-28-14-19-13-18.png
    https://i.**********/rpRW0G9x/Alice2-Screenshot-2019-07-28-14-19-59-41.png
    https://i.**********/tT3YHBXR/Alice2-Screenshot-2019-07-28-15-16-23-92.png
    https://i.**********/Y9KhV5By/Alice2-Screenshot-2019-07-28-15-33-42-32.png

https://i.**********/m2bFTWzv/Alice2-Screenshot-2019-07-28-16-06-48-04.png

Texmod and texture how to install thread.
    How To Wear Custom Dresses/Weapons With Mods (Texmod)
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=256975140
    DLC works on origin version which I have
    You need to have launched the game at least one time for the next step.
    Go to: My Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config
    And open the file "AliceEngine.ini" with notepad.
    Look for "GIsSpecialPCEdition=FALSE" and change it to "GIsSpecialPCEdition=TRUE".

Kolt likes this.