Alice Madness Returns has PhysX GPU support

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Gameslove, May 17, 2011.

1. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SLI
  2. ct03

ct03 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 260
    Do you know what smoothed particle hydrodynamics are? Processing this type of simulation on a CPU is slooooooow. Most types of fluid and particle simulation are infinitely faster on a GPU with its massive parallel processing power.

Industrial Light & Magic confirms precisely this.
    "With NVIDIA GPU acceleration in Plume, we‘re getting real-time feedback on dust and fire. Previously it would have taken one or two days to simulate the same scene [...]"
    http://www.animationxpress.com/index.php?file=story&id=36181

Oh, and multithreading has been available in CPU Physx for a long time, several games use it.
    But if you've ever done an SPH sim on an 8-threaded i7, you'll know that you can only dream of running 60K particles anywhere near the speed of an old mid-range GPU (the i7 might pull maybe 1/5th the frame rate if you're lucky):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjbYFB3GTUo

3. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    lol:rolleyes: I know allot about physx that's why i said that..

And news flash it can work ok, but nvidia won't let it, not yet. I saw they're thinking about openCL port too, at least that's a start..

Now you can argue as much as you want and post some lame benchmarks running on cpu, but the fact remains - the code is crippled on purpose once it runs of cpu in gpu hw games. Phsyx skd 3.0 will change that but, not much imo..unless they get over their ego and let it run freely..

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Awesome.......now if Batman Arkham City uses PhysX, that will be even better :D

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm sure it will be ported to OpenCL eventually, though when it does i still hope it retains Cuda support, or something similar is available, as the ability to offload the processing to a seperate, slower GPU is one of the, if not the best feature about PhysX.

6. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Says the guy with an ATi video card with no PhysX support...LOL Should have went Nvidia...

7. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Now why on earth would Nvidia want to run there bought and owned PhysX technology freely when it cost them millions to buy out Ageia?

That makes zero buisness sense...

8. ct03

ct03 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 260
    I don't need to post some lame benchmarks. As a VFX artist I do offline fluid simulation quite frequently and know exactly how slow it is on regular CPUs.

Interesting "fact". Are you still talking about that old Real World Technologies article? Considering that you haven't realized that PhysX SDK 3.0 has already been released, I'd say you'll need to do some new research instead of harping on about one old article.

9. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    ^
    yes and no. And nv won't use physx 3.0 just yet, its still in "beta" mode http://physxinfo.com/news/5809/physx-sdk-updated-to-version-3-0-1/

so yea that old article is pretty much accurate for the time being, there is nothing different with current 2.x.x code.

yes to a nv fanatic like yourself it doesn't.

anyway its gonna be released tomorrow, so we will see soon enough how "optimized" the game really is.