Alder Lake desktop processors use die size differ, has an effect on cooling

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I wonder how many of these will fry under ~250 W turbo loads... At least intel have moved away from the crappy TIM they were using.

386SX likes this.
  3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    When this architecture was first announced, I was only considering it from the pure CPU technology perspective, wondering how it's better than a more intelligent power management design, at least for desktop CPUs. However, now, much later, I realised it really can be a bigger problem for software design. Win11 supposedly is designed for it, but who would really count on MS to get things right in a universal manner, especially if you try to run some 10 years old piece of software with no updates for years? Ryzen has been a bread and butter CPU now for a while, yet somehow MS managed to partially screw things up with it as well, concerning Win11.

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Win11 was designed for other CPU designs to work.

5. LEEc337

LEEc337 Member Guru

GPU:
    Team Green 960
    But still handicapping Ryzens on the new os by upto 15% whist running the new cpu runs perfectly

Then you got the braggin numbers stating alder lake is 11% faster than 5950x ? All things equal with os n drivers fixed wouldn't that make alder lake slower by 4%

6. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Yeah a OS designed for a processor not even been released yet, while handicapping multiple existing architectures that's been out over the course of 4 years... Can't help but laugh really, more so since they shaved off the compatibility list of lots of processors which should make it easier on them as there's less testing involved. Some only 2 years old is not compatible.

Cplifj and Dragam1337 like this.
  7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yeah, looks like a hard pass on both win11 and alder lake.

8. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    It appears to me as if the description on the picture with the hotspots is wrong. The bigger die is labeled as 6C, the smaller die is labeled as 8C+8c, WHy would the 6C die be bigger than the 8C+8c die ???

Dragam1337 likes this.
  9. Frag

Frag Guest

GPU:
    16Gb 2400Mhz
    This is laughable.. so they compare 2 top end systems and use 1080p as the comparison.. Yes I realise it does show cpu performance "better" but its misleading to most people... DDR5 and new architecture on an OS that is unproven and only such a small difference.. whooptie doo! Add in nasty as thermals and you have a winner... umm yeah nah, thanks intel. Maybe next gen when you get some die shrinks.. or is that 2024?