1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alcohol use and burden for 195 countries and territories, 1990–2016: a systematic analysis

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by mbk1969, Sep 10, 2018.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Long serious article:
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(18)31310-2/fulltext

Figure 1 Age-standardised prevalence of current drinking for females (A) and males (B) in 2016, in 195 locations
    [​IMG]

Figure 2 Average standard drinks (10 g of pure ethanol per serving) consumed per day, age-standardised, for females (A) and males (B) in 2016, in 195 locations
    [​IMG]

2. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 ARMOR 4G OC
    overweight and obesity are worse .....

airbud grabs a beer and takes another toke....:p

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  3. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Maha Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I think drugs like alcohol expose the hypocrisy of our drug laws very clearly. Drugs like marijuana remain illegal in many developed countries (my own country, Canada, is set to legalize it soon) and yet a much more dangerous drug like alcohol is allowed and is even encouraged. Society's view on alcohol also adds to this problem. When we see people staggering around, slurring their speech and vomiting from alcohol consumption we laugh and make jokes - if this happened with any other drug we would call an ambulance immediately and/or classify it as a medical emergency.

This is not to say that alcohol should be prohibited, but that other drugs should be legalized. IMO, the best way to control a dangerous drug and prevent harm to individuals and society is to legalize and regulate. Legalizing marijuana is a good step for Canada but I would like to extend this further.

alanm and airbud7 like this.
  4. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 ARMOR 4G OC
    I have tried to overdose on alcohol a bunch of times......I only wake up with a headache....:mad:

airbud grabs another beer.....pizza night tonight...:p

5. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti x2
    Probably all true but b00ze is fun and until this planet is a problem free utopia, bottoms up :p

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I used to find booze fun...spent many weekend at the Gecko Club on Guam... Ron Rico and coke in each hand...then 10 minutes on straight O2 the next morning in the cockpit before the AME's serviced the tanks. :p

BangTail likes this.
  7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    Some drugs should never be legal.... Such as cocaine, heroine, crystal meth, etc.... Marijuana, sure, the rest....it would just increase the number of deaths.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Looks like people like drinking. Just wait and see if they can prove alcohol helps cancer to develop and how bad it really is for common health.

9. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    If you can enjoy it in moderation go for it. Personally, I slowly learned that I can't do the moderation.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Anybody noticed that in Malta, Benin and Burkina Faso women seem to be more prevalent drinkers than men? :D

11. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Maha Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Do it like this guy :D:

I think drugs need to be seen as public health problem, as opposed to a criminal one. Drugs being illegal is part of what make them dangerous - there is no quality control or testing for illegal drugs (it could be detergent for all you know), nor is there any legal recourse for damages. You can't sue drug dealers and they have no obligation to look after your health (there's always demand for drugs so a sick/dead customer means little). There's no standards for safe dosages or purity so overdosing is very easy. This doesn't mean governments should be promoting drugs like cocaine or heroine, but they should at least stop treating users like criminals and give them the help that they need.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    No problemo. Here, people drink. And drink. And drink. We have no imperialistic needs or other ways causing harm to other nations...
    Just stay the F* out of our pubs if you do not drink!

Alcohol is not really burden. Smoking is magnitude worse for health and does not even make people happy. Not even temporarily. At best smoking removes anxiety... temporarily for few minutes.

Secondly conclusion that any amount of alcohol is bad for health... All foods which contain alcohol included? Rly?
    Then they can as well take away fried foods. Then baked foods. And sooner or later some looser like that comes with cooked food being bad too.

In contrast to this, actual real health studies shown that alcohol itself is not damaging brain before you reach poisoning levels. What's damaging brain is dehydration day later and actual process of puking where person drastically increases blood pressure in head/brain. So occasional drinking has no lasting negative impact on health on its own, it is alcohol user himself who causes self harm with secondary actions or their absence.
    - - - -

Then there is that other thing... Idiot who takes away alcohol from nation which drinks is asking for dire consequences.
    Imagine your office, and if you took coffee from everyone for day...

And yes, it seems that this is some kind of supporting article for legislation against alcohol. So, I am more interested in knowing what kind of group is behind it, who paid for it.

airbud7 and tensai28 like this.
  13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    Swedes are heavier drinkers than Finns and Russians? I don't believe this!

airbud7 likes this.
  14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+
    Well that chart is for % of people using alcohol so it could well be true.

As for amounts drunk, then you beter go aschk schomeone elsche...

mbk1969, Netherwind and airbud7 like this.
  15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    :D :D :D That made me ROFL.

airbud7 and AsiJu like this.

16. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7970m/970 Mini, KD55XD800
    depends on your country, but it can be costly

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2016/jan/22/alcohol-and-the-nhs-five-key-questions
    [​IMG]

How much does it cost the NHS?

Alcohol is estimated to cost the NHS around £3.5bn per year, which amounts to £120 for every taxpayer, according to the latest available figures from the HSCIC. Overall, treating alcohol-related conditions costs the NHS about 3.6% of its annual budget.

Btw, I suspect these figures do not count NHS scotland which is a seperate organisation (and scotland has more drinkers per capita)

Now, compared to tobacco

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/18/comes-smokers-burden-nhs-may-contribute-tax-take/

Bear in mind though, both figures are estimates, and the alcohol estimate is from 3 years prior to the smoking one so inflation and all. And this is only for england.

interesting point, motivation for sure

Btw, i'm pro alcohol, i'm drinking right now, but I won't deny the cost to society. Then you have weed, which has a comparatively much lower cost to alcohol and smoking.

17. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Maha Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I think alcohol is seen as a necessary vice. I also like to drink (my workplace has free beer in the fridge that we can drink after 5 PM, and I'm usually the first in line ;)) but I don't deny the cost to society either. I only wish other drugs would be treated the same.

fantaskarsef and airbud7 like this.
  18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    @scatman839 : Societal cost is real, that I have to agree. Mentioned people with mental/behavioral disorder are group which should be closely examined for their root causes.
    Because for them, alcohol is clearly exit from something much worse than alcohol is causing. (One can say that it is similar to abuse of any other drug, including unhealthy foods.)

Then, with healthcare cost. 120pounds per taxpayer per year is damn small (or big depending on way one looks at it). From this, it looks like UK gets 166pounds per capita on taxes. So it looks like other drinkers pay for those not so healthy ones. And I think, tax is way alcohol and other legal drugs should be controlled by ...
    That's why I would not mind higher taxation if justified by expenses society have due to alcohol abuse. And I would definitely increase tax on smokes.

19. DW75

DW75 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    I am not at all into getting hammered up. I drink only craft beer. I have a maximum of two pints, no more than that. For people who like good beer, you should check out the company called Category 12. They sell several premium beers in 650ml bomber bottles. The Disruption Black IPA and the Excitation Espresso Stout are amazing beers.

20. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Back in the 80's, you could go to the local base Exchange... a carton of Marlboros was 2$ with the $2 coupon...free smokes...A half gallon of Smirnoff, duty and tax free, was ~$2.50. You could throw a hurricane party with trashcan full of Bocce Balls for next to nothing.