ALC889A and OpenAL question.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by bsod, Nov 12, 2007.

1. bsod

bsod New Member

GPU:
    Club3D Radeon HD 7850
    Hi all,
    i just bought a new mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3. The onboard soundcard should be ALC889A which AFAIK is Azalia, right? So, i was setting up America's Army audio options, but i have no idea if my audio chip supports OpenAL hardware acceleration or not. I actually don't see no OpenAl.dll anywhere. Does my audio chip support OpenAL? Or should i set the game's audio option "UseDefaultDriver" to true so that it uses its own OpenAL wrapper "defOpenAL32.dll"?

Thanks in advance.

2. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    No it doesn't. No hardware acceleration either. And the only way that it will support OpenAL (and only in software) is if Realtek has added OpenAL support in their drivers.

Pretty sure the game will default to DS3D and software, if an OpenAL supported sound device is not detected.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  3. bsod

bsod New Member

GPU:
    Club3D Radeon HD 7850
    Thanks for replying. I dont think they've added any OpenAL software anywhere with their driver, at least i didn't see it.
    So at the end i must select "UseDefaultDriver" and use the game's dll which basically leave all the processing to the cpu right? Althoyg when i de-select that option the audio does work. Hmm.

4. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    This why it works,

http://www.openal.org/openal_vista.html

The link deals with Vista, but explains how it works on XP as well.

5. Ultraq

Ultraq Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800GT AGP
    If your soundcard doesn't come with OpenAL drivers, you can use the software OpenAL driver from here: http://openal.org/downloads.html
    It emulates all OpenAL functionality, but the work is (of course) done by the CPU.