Albatron 6800Ultra why so much cheaper?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Santod, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Santod

Santod Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900GS & NVTV tuner(DV-3
    I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about this specific make and model?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814170058
    Is it better or worse then any other 6800 Ultra? Why is it a bit cheaper then the rest? Does it have poor cooling? It has GDDR3 and 256MB. Also do all 6800s' support OpenGL 2.0 or just 1.5. I've noticed some say 1.5 some say 2.o and Nvidias' site just says that the 6 series supports 2.0. Any comments, or things to stay clear of with these 6800 Ultras? Is there a superior one or would this be just as good as most any other?

2. Santod

Santod Member Guru

GPU:
    Also, why no VIVO support on 6800? Just video/TV out.

3. Homeless

Homeless Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275
    I'm pretty sure it's the same as all the other ultras

4. GuitarScott

GuitarScott Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9800GT 512MB
    here's a good answer...

who's albatron?

-crickets-

exactly.

5. kadahaf

kadahaf Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3850
    quitar, the only thing that's holding me back from flaming you is the fact that you live in my home state. albatron is not a bad company, matter of fact they're a great company. guru3d tested one of the 6800gts and came out to be a positive review. all venders are almost the same some have their pros and some have their cons not one company is the "best"

6. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    Its a 100% referance card.
    Nothing special about it and its not inferior to anything. perfectly good card. but its not a good buy now when 7800GT can be had for less than that on newegg itself.

7. Dr@Home

Dr@Home Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 570
    But the 6800U is AGP and the 7800GT is still only PCIe. the 7800GT is better either way. :p

8. Santod

Santod Member Guru

GPU:
    Well, as of right now I'm not runnin PCI-X, so that 7800 would be an expensive paper weight for my desktop, otherwise, of course that would be the better choice. That price seemed good to me, anyone know of a cheaper($389) retail 6800 Ultra AGP?

9. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    I like Albatron products. They're built pretty solid with good components. I had an 845 series motherboard built by them which was an overclocking marvel. I will sell you my new BFG6800 Ultra if you're looking for an AGP card. It is scheduled for delivery tomorrow (09-20-05) by UPS. I RMA'ed mine and will be receiving a new one, but I just changed to an A939 m/b with an Athlon 64 3500+ which is a PCI-e board. I'll need to get a new videocard.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  10. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ofcourse.
    if you are looking to upgrade your AGP system its the best option.
    But in that case i would suggest getting 6800GT which is almost $100 cheaper.

11. Santod

Santod Member Guru

GPU:
    any reason, other than to save $100.00?

12. GuitarScott

GuitarScott Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9800GT 512MB

Alright, alright. There.. funkymonkey said it for me. Why make a card that's just.. par? unless they have an uber sw bundle.. why not buy from another company? Albatron is known.. and I'm not praising any one company, evga has great customer service, xfx and bfg make strong cards out of the box.. lots of company do things different to set themselves above par. That's all I'm sayin.

13. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well personally i am evga fan. i just love their customer support. but that dosent mean this card is bad or company is bad. Its 100% referance card. Thats it.
    About $100 cheaper GT. It performs on par with 6800U and can oc well too. Ultra is not worth $100 extra. specially when GT is now below $300 mark.

14. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5700xt 8gig
    Buy a refurbished 6800gt for 210-230'ish off of newegg. I did that and wow what a great card. Personnally I dont think my card was refurbished cause it came in the orginal box (not even opened).
    Here is a link to newegg for ya (I hope I am not doing anything wrong by posting a link)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122195R

15. Santod

Santod Member Guru

GPU:
    Maybe I just don't get it, but why would I want to purchase a step down from Ultra, besides $, as I'm looking to put the best possible last AGP card in the rig I presently own, I realize the GT can be clocked beyond Ultra speeds, sometimes, but wouldn't an Ultra typically clock that much more and doesn't the Ultra have more pixels per clock. Why would GT be better? As far as refurbished, no thanks, I think you got lucky to get one in the box with all the goodies, as it states on their site that the picture is only so you know what you are not getting with the refurbished product or OEMs'. They must have run out of refurbs, and sent you a retail in place of, lucky guy.

16. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5700xt 8gig
    Well alot of people have been getting lucky then. Well if u want to spend $100 for 1-10 fps difference between cards then be my guest. The gt is just the better bang for the buck that is it. Also the gt is a clocked down ultra by the way. So u can take it for what it is worth but my req'd the gt over the ultra any day.

17. Xaser04

Xaser04 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    The 6800gt will overclock easily to ultra clocks. The only thing it lacks is the 1.6ns memory of the ultra. The differemce in performance is nominal!