Alan Wake Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    u know what. i know it sounds crazy but this is me. xbox360 version feels better to me. its like ART. alot blurr. some kind of..cant describe in english sorry..not sharp. like a dream lol.

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    The blur on the 360 version makes it look like a painting. A hand painted backdrop to the story that plays out.

3. Cambria

Cambria Banned

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    So maybe in daylight the HDR stands out quite a bit more. But since the game is about 99% at night, meh.

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    [​IMG]

PC...
    [​IMG]

It's not just HDR. It's the texture resolution, shadows, LOD, AA, resolution... everything on the PC version has been improved and touched upon.

5. Cambria

Cambria Banned

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    From those images, texture resolution is the same, shadows are the same. However, the difference being seen would be the lack of HDR (or low HDR) for the 360 which would cause the shadows not to stand out as much and the blur effect actually kinda makes it look better if you ask me. Distracts more from all the other low quality stuff.

Even the draw distance looks to be the same, which would explain why even on the PC the draw distance for the grass/plants seems rather close.

You can tell clearly from those images that the main difference is that blur.

If they touched anything up on the PC version, they sure could have done a hell of a better job for the time it took them. The cars have to be the ugliest textures in the game. I look at them and I am immediately taken back to 1995.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  6. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    why do ppl buy games on consoles it s beyond me

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Easy answer, because they don't have a PC, or the game isn't on the PC.

8. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Early releases. Early DLCs, early or exclusive demos. All compared, ofcourse,
    with PC.
    Thanks to platform "holder" ofcourse.
    But with these bonuses some some interesting facts: console fanatics pay more for worst quality - multiplatform games, which are the majority in our days.
    And the main motivation is: exclusives. That's why japan business mans want to conquer USA, but there dominates XBOX, so hell no. Japan "talents" can stay with their PS3, which is worst console ever, in their Japan.

Hope you enjoy this post :eyebrows:

9. Cambria

Cambria Banned

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    Or its just easier. Its alot easier and usually cheaper just to buy a console. You can enjoy bug free and for the most part smooth gameplay. And today, pretty much the way it was meant to be played. Sadly.

I think consoles are great in some ways, but they just arnt going to cut it anymore. Unless they redesign them in some way they will not be able to keep up with the rate of technology advancement. Which has been the problem now. I fear the next group of consoles could last even 15 years before being replaced!! Scary thought I know. But either companies have to invest more money into keeping their hardware up to dateish, or we suffer from dragging outdated graphics for insane amounts of time.

I kinda hope consoles go the way of the dinosaur and do not come back. But companies are making way too much money off them for that to happen. Its looking like the PC gaming industry will go the way of the dinosaur if anything.

Disgusting:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far the best texture Iv seen in this game:
    [​IMG]

10. painter

painter Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I buy games on PC and console, because I'm a gamer... loads of GREAT and cheap used 360 games... anything I'm really serious about I get on PC.

Don't get the angst about it all :confused:

Those comparison shots certainly show the difference... definition mainly.

11. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    That is the reason people buy consoles, not why they buy console games, but i know what your getting at.

There is also price per game, while console games cost more, unlike PC games you can sell them on, or buy them cheaper pre-owned, on average buying 10 console games a year will cost you less than 10 PC games if you take advantage of the pre-owned market.

I have friends who just want something to occupy them for a few hours when they get in from work, they have saw PC games running on my setup and agree there is a big difference in visuals and framerate, but don't think it's big enough to warrant all the money i have spent.
    I agree it isn't, but i love PC games/gaming and i love new tech, so i will continue to do it.

As for it affecting ports, i don't think there is a huge difference visually between PC only games and multi platform ports.

EDIT: Cambria, your shots look nothing like the shots i'm seeing in the screenshot thread.

12. Buss_Shots

Buss_Shots Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 1280 MB
    Don't flame us but I'm with biggie on this ^ Its the lack of anisotropic filtering.

13. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    In those comparison shots above, there is a huge difference in the visuals....I cant even read the signs in the x-box shots...not even the stop sign.

I do wish the game had a quick save option

It can be frustrating with check point saves, just because some checkpoint saves were poorly done, ewhere you need to go gather your flashlight and ammo again...Really? Why?

14. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    more than that. rentals are a huge plus. resale value, its easy to get $40 back on old games off ebay. no worry of funky DRM issues, driver issues, Windows issues, debilitating game bugs. I only buy very specific games on PC, most i play are rentals cause lets face it, most games are throwaways anyhow. 6 -8hrs, their not often good enough for a full replay. Gamefly rentals are pure awesome

omg, lol. you guys sound like a bunch of broken records. Are we seriously still going to have this "latest PC tech vs 6 yr old console tech" debates again? serioiusly:3eyes:

15. Cambria

Cambria Banned

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    I scrolled through a few in that thread, did not see any difference. Perhaps just cuz of the locations?

I honestly did not see any difference between low settings and high settings (at least in the cafe on the first part, did not really go about on low settings to see what the rest looked like).

Did you see the first screen I posted in this thread? Still one of the best screens of the game I think. Its on page 17.

16. painter

painter Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Speaking of records... I reckon CD's are better, especially compared to new fangled MP3's :wanker: :)

Anyway, NO there is no debate... a good PC is better, end-of... I just don't hate consoles.

I only responded to the new 360 owner to say if you can pick-up AW cheap then you might as well, as the PC version is not a million miles better to be worth the extra cash... IMHO :)

17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Rofl, if you squint their identical :D

18. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    The only difference i see from the above comparison is the blur on the 360 due to the lower resolution ! o_O

19. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970

Both screenshots are the same resolution though.

20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Apologies accepted. I was a little surprised by your post to be honest as the last few PC games I've written about on here are ones I haven't exactly been raving about, i.e. the mediocre Kingdoms of Amalur and the gets-a-lot-better-as-you-get-further-in The Darkness II.

I've played up to about a third of the way through Episode 4 (based on each episode taking me roughly 1.5 to 2 hours to complete) and I think the game is a lot of fun. I especially like the story which is very Twin Peaks meets Lost made in the style of Silent Hill. There are some great set-pieces, although some are spoilt a little by the manuscripts you find which reveal parts you've yet to play. Also the game throws (quite literally, in fact) new things at you as you play, it isn't just about aiming your torch and shooting enemies mindlessly. I think the story is really good so far and it keeps me wanting to return to it.

The most annoying thing about the game is that every so often I'll reach a checkpoint with virtually no ammo left which makes the next section harder as Wake is totally unfit and unable to run for more than a hundred yards before slowing down and panting out of breath. That means that enemies can catch up with you and since the dodge button is the same as the run button (LB on the 360 controller) I invariably get hit and often die. Not game breaking but it just shows how ample checkpointing can actually be a curse at times, especially as there's no way to save the game manually.

For a single player game, there's a nice amount of content particularly with the two DLC packs.