Air cooling the 5800X?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by AuerX, Mar 6, 2022.

1. AuerX

AuerX Master Guru

GPU:
    Locke Mk IIb
    So I have a 5800X in the relatively compact Fractal Nano S case and currently cool it with a Fractal Celsius 240 AIO on top.

I need to get the air flowing a bit better, particularly exhaust and figured I'd change out the Celsius 240 for a air cooler, like the Scythe Fuma II or similar. Height restricted at 162mm for the case.

Intake is not an issue, I just need to get the air out a bit more efficiently than what the Celsius (and a Chromax 120 in the rear) can do. Reason being the RTX3080 FTW3 dumps quite a bit of heat in to the small-ish case.

So I thought, go all air. and put two 140's on top to help with getting the heat out.
    Anyone cool their 5800X with air and how do you like it?

I like quiet, but can deal with airflow noise as long as it's a low pitch whoosh.

TIA

2. D1D01

D1D01 Member

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon RX 570
    Hi AuerX,

I wasn't sure if you meant you already had the 140mm Case Fans. I just purchased a
    - Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-2000, Heavy Duty Cooling Fan, 3-Pin, 2000 RPM (140mm, Black) -
    to install in the lower part of my case to cool my ASUS 2060 OC GPU.
    It might be worth a look if you still need them. Wish I could give more of a review but waiting until I can install.

3. AuerX

AuerX Master Guru

GPU:
    Locke Mk IIb
    Thanks, but I have plenty of Intake, just contemplating on improving exhaust by getting rid of the 240 radiator on top and using some 120/140 fans there instead.

I have buckets of fans lying around, but no air cooler for AM4. Hence asking about the Scythe. Also space limited in my case.

4. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Scythe are very very good. Using on my 3800x in mini itx case.

AuerX likes this.

5. Trunks0

Trunks0 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 6600XT
    I'm using a Noctuatua NH-D15S chromax.black without any issues on my 5800x. I went air as my Silverstone Raven 2 case isn't really designed for water cooling. It's 160mm high, so it just fits under you height limit.

https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s-chromax-black/specification

You can also configure it in a push/pull configuration to increase the air flow. And if you don't care about it being black, the non-chromax.black edition is a little cheaper. Also nice and quiet :)

AuerX likes this.
  6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    NH-D15 is the version that comes with 2 fans, as I recall the only difference between that and the S version is that fan.
    It might not fit into the case though since it allows max 162 mm, NH-D15 block takes 160mm and the part of the fan that goes beyond more than 2mm, so it won't fit unless the case is used without the side panel.

Even the Dark Rock Pro 4 which is slightly smaller won't fit... 163mm

AuerX likes this.
  7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Do you have an exhaust fan mounted in the back with that 240 on top?
    Should be plenty of exhaust that way, quite sure it won't get any better than that.
    If the heat from the GPU is the issue it would probalbly have been better using a card with a blower fan style. :(

Maybe an option to mod the side panel and add a fan or two... and maybe chamber the GPU to get some sort of tunnel going, is the case with the standard panel or windowed?

Cause besides those big air coolers the only other option is water, unless you're up to sacrifice some performance and downclock that 5800X.
    Best option there would be lowering PBO values from standard, but that doesn't really work that well with Windows 11.

Also keep in mind that both air blocks as water blocks that aren't offset for Ryzen 5xxx CPU's add higher temperatures.
    With my NZXT Kraken coolers it was 10-15C hotter than with the Arctic Liquid Freezer 2.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    Dragondale13 likes this.
  8. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    What @Mineria said.
    If an exhaust fan can be installed on the side/window panel, that'll help big time.

9. AuerX

AuerX Master Guru

GPU:
    Locke Mk IIb
    Airflow would be better without a rad, and with fans on the bottom, front, back and top pretty sure it would have a positive effect.

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I would agree if it wasn't a 5800X... your details state RTX3080 x2?
    If you live in Denmark I can send you my old HAF X, would be much better for going full air with an SLI setup.

AuerX likes this.

11. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 FTW3
    I've been running my 5800X under a Noctua NH-D15S but I took the stock fan off and replaced it with 2xNF-F12 PWM. That way it fits in my case and has juuuuust enough room for my RAM, since the D15S is the asymmetric high compatibility version of the D15.

Temps are fine, between 83C-86C under full CB23 load on a warm day. Otherwise it runs quiet and hits very high boost clocks. No complaints.

AuerX likes this.
  12. Trunks0

Trunks0 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 6600XT
    Could consider the NH-C14S? According to Guru3D's own review it should fit.... sorta :D

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/noctua-nh-d15s-cpu-cooler-review,2.html

but....

https://noctua.at/en/whats-the-difference-between-nh-d15-and-nh-d15s

Says the D15S is 160mm with fan installed... as one of the key differences with the D15S is it can mount the centre fan lower.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    Mineria and AuerX like this.
  13. AuerX

AuerX Master Guru

GPU:
    Locke Mk IIb
    Two 3080's, two computers. The other one is a Hybrid EVGA XC3 and lives in a Xeon box for mostly non gaming tasks.

Thanks for the kind offer, but I really like my compact Fractal cases. And I live in the U.S.

I'm honestly not that worried about the 5800X's temperatures in general.
    More about keeping the 3080FTW3 at around 75c during long 4k gaming sessions.
    The more air the case can exchange the better obviously.

I dont overclock CPU's, no need to in my case so far.

14. AuerX

AuerX Master Guru

GPU:
    Locke Mk IIb
    Thanks guys, I certainly could go the Noctua route (have plenty of their fans) but figured I'd give the Fuma II a shot as it seems to be a decent performer.
    So I thought why not ask around a little more. Always fun to try new stuff.

Trunks0 likes this.
  15. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    I got my 5800X yesterday and decided to cool it with my previous default AMD Wraith cooler, the one that came in the box with my 3700X.

I just made sure to 1) Clean the cooler itself first properly (remove all dust, and remove previously-applied Thermal paste), and 2) Use fresh Arctic Silver 5 Thermal paste for my next use of it along with my 5800X.

All BIOS Fan / Chasis monitoring and speeds at defaults (no profiles or adjustments there yet). And same into Windows, nothing done manually do the fan speeds yet. I barely just finished my fresh Windows installation but I got all drivers in (Chipset, Windows Updates, etc) along with Power management settings (currently set to ' Balanced ' power setting), so I didn't have much time to test the temperatures in Benchmarks or games yet.

But at the moment the CPU is Idling between 52.5º to about 54º Celsius (which is about 127º Fahrenheit). To be honest if I recall correctly my 3700X was actually warmer on Idle lol... maybe I did something better this time around with the application of my Thermal paste (or I was super meticulous with cleaning up the cooler itself first). It's barely spring time here, and room temperature is about 27º Celsius on average (at least at this time of the year, it'll be much warmer and with a lot of humidity in the air this summer).

I'm not actually sure what the average Idling temps for the 5800X "should" be, but to me idling to 53 or 54 degrees seems about right (considering it's the AMD Wraith cooler instead of something more expensive).

EDIT: Made some tests in a few games including Cyberpunk 2077 and, on average, the load (or, well the 'gaming') temperature sits at around 74º to 76º Celsius. I'd imagine in a CPU Benchmark it would go to around 80 to maybe 85 max; so all in all it behaves very similarly to my 3700X, cooled with the same AMD Wraith cooler, it's within normals.

Do note, however, that I do not overclock at all, so that certainly helps. A better cooler would certainly be required in an OC'ed / higher voltage scenario.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022

16. TroubledThoughts

TroubledThoughts Member

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3070 Ti