Air cooling options???

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Pigchild, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Pigchild

Pigchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    Well it's tax return time which means upgrade time.
    New CPU air cooling... What do some here suggest? I'm currently using a Cooler Master 212 on my current and outdated i5 3570K @4.4Ghz. This unit has been a value considering it allowed me a stable cool OC of 4.4Ghz on my old 4 core intel, but I'm upgrading to a K series i9 and not sure if the 212 cooler will do the job effectively for me with the new i9 when overclocked.

Can I get some suggestions for a good air cooler priced under $100 bucks?
    Thanks. (As for the size of the new unit, I don't think that will be a problem with space because i'm still using my rather large Cooler Master full tower.)
    Regards.

2. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
  3. Well, there you go. That noctua nh-d15 is a bad son of a gun. Phanteks, Scythe, and beQuiet also make nice ones.

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Schyte 5 Mugen, beQuiet DarkPro

5. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    The D15 will do. depending on the height of the RAM modules the first fan will need to be lifted a bit. It also has a black variant if you hate the original color scheme.
    https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D15-chromax-Black-Dual-Tower-Cooler/dp/B07Y3CTQNT/
    The D15S in performance is pretty much identical if you add a front fan, and it's designed to play a bit nicer with the components on the motherboard.
    Noctua has really good support (even before you buy) and compatibility guides on the site, so you can write them an email with your specific intended config and ask if things will fit.
    You'll also get tube of NTH1 paste that looks to be 3 grams or so. Pretty good.

6. Pigchild

Pigchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. About the Noctua... I've heard it's great, but I wished they offered a black finish cooler. (I know it's just aesthetic, but the poop color they offer would look pretty bad inside any nice build.) I will check out that Corsair-A500 to see if it's performance is comparable to the poo poo color Noctua.

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    The Noctua Chromax line offers just that.
    Total black cooler and black fans.

8. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Super off-topic but, why is tax return time generally related to money throwing? Can't you deposit money for next big purchase or save some money for the future plans?

9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It feels silly giving a serious answer to this, but here you go.
    Of course you can do that, but it's a good excuse to splurge on yourself. Assuming your regular income is already enough to cover all expenses and, and put some away, your tax return is just some extra income you weren't expecting/don't need.
    So treat yo self.

sverek likes this.
  10. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Interesting, you confirmed what I was assuming. Sounds like a wholesome tradition.